• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Sliding

Frothylark

Smash Cadet
I made this thread in the tactical discussion section, but it's not getting much attention. Since this technique is most prominent with Link, I thought I'd post it here.

This is something I've been trying to get good at lately.

Technique Demo:
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=t6jdzQteqiA

The description says you can do pretty much anything out of this slide. Ftilt, Fsmash, grabs, and item throws. It also says that Link has pretty much the longest slide, so other characters probably wouldn't have any practical use of this.

I've also discovered you can do this with Dsmash and Usmash too. But there are better ways to extend the range of Usmash with Link.

The input is pretty difficult to do outside of practice, pivot transitioned into side tilt while hitting c-stick or A.

Is anybody else trying to do this?

Here's is a video I made. I apoligize for the quality:
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=o5gpywrxYJM

Frothylark

Smash Cadet
This is for the default Gamecube controller settings.

I hope this is clear enough. It's supposed to work for everybody, but Link has the longest and most noticeable slide length. With Link, so far, I have been able to ftilt, fsmash, dsmash, grab, and throw a bomb(doesn't seem that useful to me) while sliding. You can usmash too, but boost smashing seems more useful for that. Also, I think I somehow pulled out a utilt for this, but it might have been something different, so I'm not sure.

JoeTang

Smash Cadet
Isn't this the same principle of a Stutter Step, except instead of using the C-Stick for a 1 frame Smash, you use the Control Stick and A to control a Tilt or Smash instead?

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
hmm interesting. Doesn't seem that difficult, the hard part seems like initiating a walk not a run. I'm probably wrong tho, i'll try it an get back to ya.

Frothylark

Smash Cadet
tried it, doesn't help me at all since I'd be walking away from my opponent which is the stupidest thing to do, that and the forward tilt isn't a long range attack so its terrible.
You don't need to move away or step backwards at all. Just turn around. The point is to extend the horizontal reach of some of your melee attacks.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
Hey TwinA, if your're refering to me what I did was a dash canceled into a dash attack canceled into a grab canceled into an upsmash. Gets you a pretty long slide if you do it correctly.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
This is about just as useful as the extended upsmash slide.

Which has very nice uses.
I like this.

I will learn and exploit it's uses.

-Nox`

Ademar440

Smash Cadet
This is very easy to do out of a Bair, for example I am able to hit with a Bair, land, turn around and link will slide and my favorite thing to do is a Ftilt since it has nice range, the only way for the enemy to avoid this is by air dodging the F tilt but if it misses I can to either a Dsmash or charge an UpB ( in case they roll behind), other thing is that you can shoot an arrow as soon as land after using a Bair, I posted how to do it here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160299
Greetings

Top Bottom