• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot-Jab

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Simple question. I'm fishing for techniques for my Zelda and this may be relevant to other characters as well. Is there a way to pivot-jab? (As in dashdance (melee) pivot, not Brawl's turnaround)

Preferably on default controls?

Zigludo

Smash Journeyman
Input pivot for one frame, reset stick to neutral and hit A on the next frame. Self-explanatory.

However, resetting to neutral after a single frame is very difficult. I prefer to use c-stick attack to input the jab, because all I need to do is pivot and cstick back on consecutive frames that way. Much easier

CORY

wut
BRoomer
would it be simpler (and, i guess, possible) to use the crouch-jab trick to pivot jab without cstick attack?

pivot, then put the between a 4 and 1 position behind you, hit a (so you're crouching and won't turn around and ftil, but it's too high to dtilt, so it jabs instead).

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Seems similar to sheld drop thay way, CORY? Thanks for the info guys, I'll try this out later.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
maybe similar in terms of final stick placement, but the motions and physics would be very different.

(you're saying shield drop, as in the "i'm on a platform, in shield stun, let me roll my stick down then back slightly and start my platform drop", right?)

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Yeah, I was thinking of the deambiguation of the inputs based on a precise angle (game won't option select roll or sidestep, instead it will shield drop; analogous to how you are describing the pivot-jab)

So you're saying you can jab from crouch without inputting dtilt? that does seem much more lenient than the one-frame window of resetting to neutral and pressing A.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
yeah. you'll be crouching, but input a jab if you do it right. you'll also automatically crouch once you hit iasa/the animation ends, allowing for potentially slightly faster jabs (i know this is a thing with ganon, since his jab has an iasa about 3 frames sooner than the normal end point, but you can't iasa his jab into itself, but you can iasa into crouch, which can be cancelled into jab, etc...)

1FD

Smash Ace
Samus has the same deal with the crouch cancelling jab early so she can jab super fast again with her first jab hit
it's like a rapid jab but with crouching
works in both PM and melee

I pivot jab the neutral resetting way cause that's what I was recommended to do by peeps who are good at pivots
there are 2 other locals who learned pivoting from the same person and 1 does it my way and 1 does the flicking technique where you just pivot with a flick of the control stick and that will reset to neutral really easy

I like my way and the best peeps I know for pivoting don't do the flick way and just reset to neutral for jab if they want jab
More control and precise actions that way and it's totally doable so I donno why you'd want to work around that if you're gonna do this in the long run
which you are... so

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Yeah I usually try to break things down into the simplest terms possible so I'll probably just do it the reset way. But I'll try both and see which one fits me better

1FD

Smash Ace
how do you pivot other your other attacks?
I just don't get how someone could flickpivotftilt and stuff
it's so messed up
but maybe if you're doing the controlled way with ftilts and things then flicking for jab, you won't get them mixed up

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Well, I usually only pivot fsmash. I haven't tried to pivot anything else, and I never really thought about it until now. I do it the traditional (reset) way.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
PM has its own method for pivots. Melee's method still exists but you don't need to use it. At any time during your DD, just press softly in reverse on the control stick (rather than slamming it for just a frame) and your character will do a standing turnaround. This is functionally identical to Melee's pivots, it's just way easier and makes things like pivot->jab, pivot->tilt, pivot->wait, etc super reliable.

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
PM has it's own method for pivots. Melee's method still exists but you don't need to use it. At any time during your DD, just press softly in reverse on the control stick (rather than slamming it for just a frame) and your character will do a standing turnaround. This is functionally identical to Melee's pivots, it's just way easier and makes things like pivot->jab, pivot->tilt, pivot->wait, etc super reliable.
Why am I just hearing about this now? Dang.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Can you not do the dash then softly turn pivot way in Melee?

I was under the assumption you could. Or does the differences in how dashing works make it not work.

Magus420

Smash Master
Just flick and release for stuff that doesn't require a directional input imo (jab/grab/neutral-b/c-stick). Assuming default controls, tilt pivot (tilt stick between the pivot and dash thresholds) for tilts and directional specials (down-b really since up/side can be done from jump/dash), and flick pivot for everything else. Pivot jabs are hard to mess up in melee/pm unless your stick is really loose or something, as it should snap back to neutral under the dash threshold by the 2nd frame leaving you standing and then you press the button for the move. Tilt pivoting for moves that require a direction you still have your thumb on the stick to move to the direction you need after the pivot which is faster than flick release then inputting a direction, and flick pivot for directionless moves it returns to neutral faster generally than carefully tilting and releasing and the pivot itself is much easier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom