• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot F Tilt?

Kathuzada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kathuzada
So I was messing around with pivot grabs when I accidentally used Fox's F Tilt. I did not do the Pivot F Tilt where you run through him, I stopped in front and hit him with it (he wasn't shielding).

I noticed the knock back was where I could follow up with an upsmash or another Pivot F Tilt. I took my roommate into training mode where I could try it out on various characters at % just below Upsmash kill %, he was unable to dodge or jump out of it, but he could tech if he landing on the stage (my roommate isn't that good so no telling how the DI was).

After getting this various times I wanted to see what else I could do and I noticed that I could Foot Stool. I decided to try it with Captain Falcon into his Dair. A few times I was able to get it off and spike a Donkey Kong CPU in training mode at like 50%.

So what I am asking is if someone can do some testing for me on this against real people? I imagine if it works it could be a decent punish option against characters who have slow grabs or on an opponent who like to get straight up from the ledge

TL;DR:
Does Pivot F Tilt (where you don't run through them) lead into a Dair?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
So wait, if you don't run through them you hit them with your butt the back of the Ftilt hitbox ? is that what you mean by the "Fox Ftilt" ? If Falcon can immitate Fox on this one it's definitely interesting.

Kathuzada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kathuzada
So wait, if you don't run through them you hit them with your butt the back of the Ftilt hitbox ? is that what you mean by the "Fox Ftilt" ? If Falcon can immitate Fox on this one it's definitely interesting.
Yes. I put Fox to give back story into what I was doing. But the knock back on both seemed low vertically and short enough horizontally where a Dair or another back of the Ftilt hitbox could be a follow up.
(I only tested this at like 50% against a CPU DK so I have no idea how it could work)

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
This is actually an interesting question. I've been able to get Dash Attack out of the back part of Pivot Ftilt more times than I can count (the late part of Dash Attack, so that you can follow up with Uair due to the hit happening near the ending frames). But I haven't tried doing anything else. I'm certain Usmash would work at certain percents too; but I haven't tried Dair. I would expect it to be possible if you buffer dash > immediately jump > Fastfall Dair. You would have to do it with landing lag for it to hit a grounded opponent (who didn't tech) though.

Regardless, I feel like we should be using this more just because it can force characters to roll on tech - and we all know that's what Falcon gets majority of his damage off of, since our dash grab demolishes rolling.

Last edited:

Kathuzada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kathuzada
Dash Attack into Uair? Interesting, Do you know if they can DI out of it?

I was hitting the Dair off stage, I think the CPU managed to get a jump off, but they did into my Dair
I wonder what else can come from this.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
It depends on the timing. If you use Dash Attack and hit toward the ending frames of the attack itself, you're practically starting your hitstun from the move right when you're going back into neutral, so you can follow-up pretty fluently with a lot of things. It's also percent dependent. But it's not that easy to DI out of it at the right percents. If someone does DI, you can buffer a dash before jumping to cover the extra distance. They should always be within jump (/double jump) > Uair range though.

Top Bottom