• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pitch for a Sub-forum pertaining to Matchup-Specific Threads

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Heyo Yoshis, an Idea has been pitched to me and thought up in general for a Sub-Forum for Matchup-Specific threads. In my opinion, I would hate to see the matchup threads in the general Yoshi forum, they would easily suffocate posts from new Yoshi players and possibly scare even more away. AND if we had the matchup thread (like we do already) and keep it super serious, people would not be able to find their specific matchup information without looking for it and then there would be nowhere to ask simple questions or give answers in any organized fashion.

Here is my task for, my brethren. Like this post, give your opinions, and if you know and/or are a moderator, please pitch this idea to the programmers so that not only we can have a sub forum here in Yoshi land, but every other character in every smash character specific forum can have the same option to organize their matchup guides.

Also if you know a Mod, tag them in here so we can get this done. FOR THE GOOD OF SMASH!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
This would be pretty awesome, as the best we can really do at this time is use spoiler tags that contain peoples write-ups of MUs, which don't allow for much interaction/input among the community or let them have a say on their thoughts or even questions.
I'm all for this if it's possible, would be way better than digging through threads in search of fossils. :p

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
seems like a simple thing that can be done honestly. I don't know the programming, but it can't be hard to create this as an option since you really only have to do the work once and then copy-paste it for every other character page

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Needless to say, I support. But, in the event that we cannot get a sub-forum, I still think it would be a good idea to post matchup threads in the general Yoshi board and repurpose the general matchups thread we have as a link to the other matchup threads in the OP and a general Q&A thread.

Sylnic

Smash Cadet
I agree with this. I've been wanting to do organized discussions in the Skype group, but no one initiated anything, and I've been too busy lately to do it myself. This would make things easier to talk about, considering we don't all have to be on at the same time.

I feel we should split the matchups into multiple sections. Some good ones would be: Neutral Game, Stage Choice, Basic Combos, Percentage info (combos/CC/killing moves based on exact percentage), Edge guarding options, and miscellaneous information.

This might be too many categories to discuss/organize, but I feel it could really help people out. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Separate threads with one main thread linking to the sub threads.

Sylnic, percentage info would be a little difficult unless Tensen wanted to just research that info. Otherwise, it's the type of categories, with the addition of defensive and offensive games, needed to fully explain a matchup effectively.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Percent would be absolute. I said it was difficult because you have to assume perfect human capabilities. CC is easy to figure out, combos are extremely hard because of SDI and DI combined with percent variance, and killing moves @ exact percent would be the best (humanly) possible DI & SDI. Percent kill moves would be more use in relative numbers.

Last edited:

Sylnic

Smash Cadet
Sorry, didn't mean to say "exact numbers", but at least the general area of percent. I know the nature of this game doesn't exactly allow true combos. If we're going to be talking each matchup individually, then I think it wouldn't be too hard to go over some general percentage info. The point of these threads would be to combine our knowledge. It's not like one person would be working on this. Each matchup thread will only have as much info as we put into it.

Have we gotten any word on whether we can do this sub-forum or not?

Top Bottom