• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit vs Game and Watch

III Icarus III

Smash Rookie
i play with my hallmates a lot up here at college, and one of them always use GaW. he is pretty skilled with him, and the rest of us have a little trouble with him.

are there any tips that can help me beat GaW?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
He counters Pit pretty well... His projectiles protect from trajectory attacks. His bucket eats arrow fast and it's hard to shoot around. His aerials out-range, out-prioritize, and are just as fast as Pit's. And a smart G&W you easily out-range and out maneuver you. It's almost as though in order to make G&W better, they added a higher tiered character that he completely counters.

Anyway I'm not too sure what to say. You just have to have a better metagame then your opponent. My typical answer of "Powershield then counter attack" is nearly useless seeing as his animations are so short and choppy. If you can pick up on them utilize the Shield Dash strategy. If not I suggest spamming the Powershield when in combat range. Everytime he nails it you get a free hit. Also SlideStepping might come in handy when duking it out at close range, which is certain to happen.

Sigh, I doubt that's much help. G'luck man, tell us if you figure anything out.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Luckily I play both of those ppl and one counter I use against Pit is:
1: Fill the bucket with arrows
2: Grab, throw down into bucket.

It is very quick and very deadly. Watch out for that!

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Best method which is working for me: Let him attack first, dodge/roll and counter with d-smash. Play mindgames with arrows like with every character who can counter/eat your arrows. Don't try to attack from above, it will end the most time with dodging. Try to be sly and you should have it a bit easier.

Edit: Don't think to use your arrows when he/she can read your next move. Just add a arrow when he's trying to recover.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Don't get too greedy with that. I'm no G&W main or anything but even I've gotten to the point where I bucket on recovery as well. Only do it when canceling their Parachute isn't an option.

WKx7x

Smash Cadet
Create a lot of distance between you and GaW. Use your arrows A LOT to constantly be inflicting damage, and only resort to close quarters combat when you HAVE to and when you feel it's time for the kill. Other than that. just play smart and react to your opponent.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
WK you ignore the bucket. Your strategy is the key strategy for Pit(and hence why Pit is the easiest character to use for low to mid-high skilled players(not a knock on pit, as at the highest level he is harder to use).
Of course G&W vs Pit is possibly the biggest disadvantage for Pit than vs'ing any other character. Basically you just have to be loads better than your opponent. G&W's bair turtle(main GW approach) is multiple hits, so power shielding doesn't get you too far. Arrows are nearly worthless given the bucket. GW is an aerial monster, and also has a sick downsmash if you choose to roll behind his attacks. Basically unless your opponent isn't a good player(doesn't RAR turtle or use bucket well) you won't win the battle. Best I can say is that you go on the offensive(Pit's weakpoint) and try to overwhelm him since GW is an approach style character who isn't build for defense.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Just don't use your arrows. Pit's uair is good for multiple attacks, so is foward b and continous a. Dash attacks are quick and useful. If you think he's going to hit you with the dair key or bair turtle, get your shield out, down b.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
uair isn't that well working with G&Ws dair... hurts a lot and is adjustable for a perfect landing.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
While Pit is middleweight he's still lightweighted enough to get decimated by the bucket. Especially while in the air. Arrows are not worth the trouble.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
yeah, i forgot about G&W's dair key thing. Watch out for G&W's fsmash fire stick. It really sends you flying. :(

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I already put this in my guide, but it's relevant to here.

The first thing I'll say right now is don't give up your arrows! Just don't spam them from far away. Game & Watch's bucket is his biggest defense against your arrows, and his weakness. The lag he suffers from pulling out the bucket is huge! From a surprisingly long distance, you can easily walk up and F-smash him before he puts it away. You can dash attack him from almost halfway across Final Destination! One thing to note is that he doesn't suffer as much lag when he catches his third projectile.

His B-air is know for being an awesome approach that destroys shields. The solution? Don't try to shield it. Pit's F-smash is just as long as his B-air. If he short hops towards you, use the F-smash. His chance of hitting you is just as good as yours, but your attack is more damaging.

Because of his sausages, it's more important then ever to only use the up-B when you're below the ledge.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Thanks for mentioning the lag of the bucket. A lot of people haven't realized that. In this matchup I use arrows sparingly. I dont not use them, but i dont spam them. I use them for combos and edgeguarding. However there is an extremely good way to be able to spam your arrows. Just hold them. If you see him pull out the bucket. Shoot up or curve the arrow up. If you're at mid range you might even be able to punish him for it. If he doesnt pull out a bucket, just fire. Mix it up a bit so it doesnt get predictable. Well that covers arrows. So lets get on with the rest.

Okay so in this matchup GW theres 3 things to really watch out for. First off is the upsmash. It kills at ridiculously low percents and comes out somewhat fast. Its easy to avoid. Just dont try to hit GW when you are falling from the air.

Another thing is the downsmash/downtilt spam. It cancels out arrows so you cant just punish them for that, and it basically out ranges all your moves. Most GW that i've played will let you go wherever you want as they continue to spam the moves. My solution is to get outside their range and do a forward tilt. And that still will cancel out both moves, but it adds a little more lag. You can try a short hop arrow to cancel, then do a forward tilt or forward smash so long as you have the correct spacing and timing. Its a high risk high reward move.

The bair approach is easy to cancel. shot hop the other direction, then do a reverse arrow to turn yourself to face GW and then just forward tilt.

I'll add more later when I find out other things that make the matchup hard.

Froth

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for mentioning the lag of the bucket. A lot of people haven't realized that. In this matchup I use arrows sparingly. I dont not use them, but i dont spam them. I use them for combos and edgeguarding. However there is an extremely good way to be able to spam your arrows. Just hold them. If you see him pull out the bucket. Shoot up or curve the arrow up. If you're at mid range you might even be able to punish him for it. If he doesnt pull out a bucket, just fire. Mix it up a bit so it doesnt get predictable. Well that covers arrows. So lets get on with the rest.

Okay so in this matchup GW theres 3 things to really watch out for. First off is the upsmash. It kills at ridiculously low percents and comes out somewhat fast. Its easy to avoid. Just dont try to hit GW when you are falling from the air.

Another thing is the downsmash/downtilt spam. It cancels out arrows so you cant just punish them for that, and it basically out ranges all your moves. Most GW that i've played will let you go wherever you want as they continue to spam the moves. My solution is to get outside their range and do a forward tilt. And that still will cancel out both moves, but it adds a little more lag. You can try a short hop arrow to cancel, then do a forward tilt or forward smash so long as you have the correct spacing and timing. Its a high risk high reward move.

The bair approach is easy to cancel. shot hop the other direction, then do a reverse arrow to turn yourself to face GW and then just forward tilt.

I'll add more later when I find out other things that make the matchup hard.
That's is an awesome technique for the bucket. Kudos. :bee:

Top Bottom