• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit Tricks that are little known/unknown and should be recognized

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
I've noticed that in both of the guides made, people have just been like "Here's a move and heres how much it does. Pit spins his bow." No offense to DEHF, he's a B.A.

Anyways, I would make a guide, but I don't see a point to. I already made an arrow guide, and there's two other -not so detailed- guides on here. If people want me to, maybe i'll make one. But really, it's pointless.

Anyways, here's a couple juicy tips that people should throw into their guides to improve them perhaps.

Up-air combos - Most of the time does 12%, but the cool thing is that it almost ALWAYS combos out of the dthrow if you jump fast enough. At 0%, you can just dthrow SH uair and then side B people. Good damage. Not so hot information, but it's pretty cool.

D-Smash damage boost- At some point in Pit's Dsmash, he can do 24% with it. I think they have to be behind you and touching you. Maybe you saw that video where toon link killed Zelda at 0% with dsmash? It might be conditional like that, but I'm not sure. People should look into this some more. 24% is a lot of damage for one UNCHARGED move.

Glide-Cancelling glide attack into aerials- This is really cool and fairly useful if you pull it off. Basically, what i'll do is walk off the stage, midair jump, and glide into towards someone. Isn't that awesome? Nope. What's awesome is that you can use your glide attack right before you hit the ground to knock the opponent up into the air and then you can hit them with any other aerial, but usually only at low percents. My favorite is glide cancel to up-air. It's pretty useful. But still, not too hot.

Rapid-A bow spin thing- EASIEST WAY TO DO IT!!! I made a thread about it not too long back. here it is: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144302 You do NOT have to mash A a billion times to start it. Just hit A, A, cstick, and hold A. boom, done. hold A as long as you want to hold the move out.

Fair WoP- I'm pretty sure Pit can wall of pain some heavier characters with fair. I did it to Snake today since his up-B takes a second to initiate. Someone should test this on other characters and get back to me on that.

Shield Cancelling Fsmash- This isn't Pit specific, it's a general brawl mechanic. But it's pretty useful for Pit since Fsmash is basically his top ground killing move. Try running at someone, tap shield, then fsmash. Space it good so you don't get punished. It's actually really useful. Works the same with dsmash too (you don't need to shield cancel to do a usmash, although it MAY stop your momentum instead of doing that sliding upsmash thing)

The way I instant edgehog (or "Hugging" as some call it)- This isn't new or anything since everyone's heard about it, but this is just the way I do it (and i'm sure other people do it the same way.) You can 'hug' the edge by walking off the stage then holding toward the edge, but what I do is walk off and fast fall immediately after i go off the edge. grabs it almost instantly.

Here's the thing that I'm surprised no one has really talked about.

Pit's mirror shield can edgegaurd some characters >.< Pit's down-B can turn characters around when they attack it, so why not use it against their recoveries to flip them back where they came from?

Ever heard of Fox? Me neither. When he's up-b'ing back, just jump out in front of him and mirror sheild. Guess where Fox goes. THE OTHER WAY. It works like a cape. It takes some practice, precision, and prediction to get consistent though (three P's weren't on purpose lol. Guess we can call it the three P's or mirror shield edgeguard) Doesn't work on all characters of course, but for the ones that it does work on, it's pretty useful. I know for a fact it works on the following characters' Up-Bs.
-Fox
-Wolf, fairly difficult
-Falco
-DK
-Tlink
-Link
-Ness, but have to be close
-Samus, but it may still hit you

Does Not work Against:
-Bowser
-All Pokemon Trainer pokemon (maybe charizard, but it's already vertical)
-Marth
-Ike (Side B may be possible to reverse)

And it probably doesn't work on people who tether (which, it doesn't matter cause you just edgehog them anyways.) Any characters with a linear and damage giving recovery can be affected by this. The spacies might be the only ones it's useful against, but it may work agianst other characters too.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
lol dude i was the one that told you about pit's recovery reflect. and it doesn't work on everyone, mainly horizontal linear recoveries, but there's exceptions of course.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
GameGuitarist, keep up the good work. All this new information and strategies have made me switch my main and secondary, bumping Pit to first place.
Whenever I played him, I recognized he was good, but I was so busy trying to win I couldn't learn anything. This should really help.

How do you feel about his dair is a KO move? I got most of mine with it and bair.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
yeah can you post some links to vids?

byw the way man epic post this thread has really helped and answered a lot of questions

LastReaper

Smash Cadet
woooo, scary. I'll have to watch my back if I fight pit users online >.<'
Cool post, try doing one with meta knight if u can lol. Keep up the good work

ROCn

Smash Cadet
HERE is the toon link 4% kill.

And Gamer, do you suggest pits side-b as a good way to edgegaurd? or is not a good idea?

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman

And Gamer, do you suggest pits side-b as a good way to edgegaurd? or is not a good idea?
i know ur asking him and i dont have the game so i might be complletly wrong but im guessing characetrs wit good recoverys and multiple jumps u prolly shudnt edge guard liek that cause theyll go over u and hit u in th back but againts like marths and stuff prolly/.

Ares_Omega

Smash Rookie

I think that kill was only because the Zelda DIed towards Toon Link, so the back part of the down smash that usaully hits missed that time.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
it doesn't work on everyone, mainly horizontal linear recoveries
UHOH! EGGZ SYNDROME

GameGuitarist, keep up the good work. All this new information and strategies have made me switch my main and secondary, bumping Pit to first place.
Whenever I played him, I recognized he was good, but I was so busy trying to win I couldn't learn anything. This should really help.

How do you feel about his dair is a KO move? I got most of mine with it and bair.
I'm glad I could help you. To be honest, I'm disappointed in his dair. It totally looks like it would spike, but it sends people straight up which is dumb. As a KO move though, it can be used depending on the situation. In some matches of Psycho ******'s Snake, I noticed he would up-B to get high up and then cancel his up-b with a uair to KO his opponent. With Pit, I guess it could be situationally useful to up-B up after you usmash someone or something, and thn do a dair to get that last inch of vertical knockback to KO them.

yeah can you post some links to vids?
I'm willing to take donations for a capture card lol. But honestly, I'm short on money so I can't buy any sort of equipment that would allow me to record lengthy videos. I've been using a digital camera and holding it in front of my TV screen to record replays, but even then I doubt I could record more than a minute without buying a huge SD card.

I do have a combo that I posted that shows use of dthrow u-air I guess. That can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMMxiquky8

I will try to post more videos like that one soon

woooo, scary. I'll have to watch my back if I fight pit users online >.<'
Cool post, try doing one with meta knight if u can lol. Keep up the good work
lol, I would if I used metaknight. At first I was interested in him when they debuted the trailer, but Pit has always been the character I've wanted to main in this game. Since obtaining it though, I've taken a liking towards Lucas and Falco (my Melee main.)

I'm so bad when it comes to side-b. I never use it really lol. I guess it would be used to edgeguard if you're on the stage, but in this game (unlike melee) edgeguarding is about jumping off the stage and knocking people back away from you and then returning to the stage. I would recommend side-b for that style of edgeguarding.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
I've not got the game myself, but when I played the last few frames of the dair were a real power hit. The swing to the side and up, not on the way down, would send them in that direction.
I know different frames of Mario's fair have different hit properties, so maybe it's with Pit's dair, too.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i'm working on relaying as much info as i can to fellow Pit users as I discover/learn about it. Glad you like it, my friend.

FuduV

Smash Rookie
Heres something I found out in multiplayer the other day. Pits shield is like Links but on his back. So if you stand still and face away and someone shoots something at you it will reflect it.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Heres something I found out in multiplayer the other day. Pits shield is like Links but on his back. So if you stand still and face away and someone shoots something at you it will reflect it.
That would also be remarkably broken, to have a no-activation REFLECTING shield on the back of a character who's BEST kill move is a BAir. I can't ever recall being shot in the back recently in any of the games I played and having any projectile be reflected. I also call shananigans.

Maybe he was holding that new item that gives you a reflector essentially?

Medori Red

Smash Rookie
I'd like for someone to look into a theory I came up with while playing Pit. When you first pull out Pit's Mirror Shield it sparkles a little bit. I noticed that and started a few experiments while playing against my friends. When I pulled out the shield at the exact second I was attacked by a physical hit, I not only stopped their attack but also flipped them around kind of like Mario's cape. If this has already been discovered, or turns out to be nothing but a couple flukes then please dismiss this theory, but if it turns out to be true then it would be quite beneficial to Pit players. My thanks -Red-

ROCn

Smash Cadet
Yeah Medori, it flips them around everytime its a physical attack, just like mario's cape.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
I don't mean to steal Chris' thunder, cuz this is his thread, but I personally don't find that side b would be a good edgeguard unless you know for a fact that it will interrupt their recovery. I could only see this being super useful on falcon or yoshi. you're better off edge guard with bair or fair off stage because you have multiple jumps, as well as a good recovery.

Cody_Rhees

Smash Rookie
You listed Fox, Falco, and Wolf as being able to use the shield to turn them around. Is that just for up B, or side B as well?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
lol his shiled is soo outrageous. i dont hav to spike fox/falcos you just shield them if they dont go directly for the stage

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
I am almost 100% sure that he picked up a Franklin Badge and didn't know what it did, then someone threw something at him from behind and it reflected off of his back.

...not too off the wall, first time I picked up a Franklin badge, I was fairly certain that it just disappeared and did nothing. Easily misunderstood from his perspective.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Can someone tell me everything we know about Wing Canceling? I mean every random tid-bit that somehow manages to escape people's summaries of the technique.

My question is, can you use the D-Air in conjunction with Wing Canceling to increase the speed of combos that utilize the D-Air as it's leading move? Example: Wings of Icarus -> Wing Canceled D-Air -> U-Tilt -> U-Smash -> U-Air -> Glide -> G-Air -> ect... lol

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
from my attempts with wing cancelling, it doesn't work at all. Glide cancelling on the other hand works like a charm.

can you supply me with the information you've gathered on the technique, cause I can easily be wrong about it lol

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I've seen it done. Basically it was float-canceling. Using Wings of Icarus, attacking from the Wings of Icarus and landing on the ground before the animation is complete. That canceled the attack and allowed Pit to do anything he wanted.

Seraphi-Kid

Smash Rookie
Does Not work Against:
-Bowser
-All Pokemon Trainer pokemon (maybe charizard, but it's already vertical)
-Marth
-Ike (Side B may be possible to reverse)
I don't think this is correct. I discovered this technique while playing with friends the night of the launch, and Bowser's Whirling Fortress was one of the first recoveries I reflected. The mirror shield does reflect both Squirtle's and Marth's recoveries as well, so I'm a bit confused as to what you mean here.

I could be missinterpreting you, but I'm fairly certain after messing around with the mirror shield for a few hours that it does reflect any physical attack made against it, be it projectile or direct such as Bowser's Up B.

I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong, but that is what I have personally experienced when experimenting with this move.

I realize this is my first post and all, but I have been playing Smash since its inception, but never really got into the competitive scene because I only ever really enjoyed playing characters who were considered pretty low-tier for tournament play in Melee (with good reason.)

However, from the first time I saw Pit in action months ago, I knew I had found a new main, and once I was able to try my hand at the Gamestop tourney, I knew I would never look back. Needless to say I'm going to be spending a lot of time experimenting with him, as I plan to hit the competitve scene head-on this time around, so I'm extremely interested in anyone's feedback, regardless of whether you agree with me or couldn't disagree more.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i think what happned was while i was testing it, i pulld the mirror shield out too early. i believe that it refelcts all physicl attacks but only in the very beginning. so i think that's what happened. i'll update it in the first post some time eventually. haven't had much computer access. thanks for pointing it out though.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Yes, just for the record it only reflects physical attacks while the sheen is traveling across the shield.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
The Mirror shield shines once you pull it out, but only for a split second. When the Mirror shield shines, that's when it's capable of making the enemy turn the other way, like mario's cape without doing damage. Of course, the enemy has to hit the shield while it's shining. I did this against a Wolf F-smash before.

Tronx

Smash Rookie
I tried one of those silly maps Nintendo Wi-fi downloads daily, and I noticed that if you glide downwards for a while, you can actually glide up farther than you went down. Maybe, if you find yourself at the same height or higher than the ledge, you could glide stright down, under the stage, and grab the ledge on the other side without jumping again. I've only really tried it on Final Destination and it worked alright, although I kept overshooting the other ledge and had to use a second jump to grab it.

Top Bottom