• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit Stage Discussion #2: Battlefield

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
Rather than returning to the board everysingle time I have a question about counter picking a stage, I decided to make an overall stage discussion to see what people have to say about any particular stages. I'm sorry if this has already been posted/started, but I yet to have find any relating topic in the advanced search function, aside from that, I think this can be a valuable asset to the Pit boards. If this by chance remains unclosed, I'll do my best to update it on a weekly bases.

Now the basic idea of the thread is to discuss ways of using the stage to our advantage in doubles or singles and what sort of situation would call for the stage to be a counterpick. What about the stage is proven to beneficial or a hinderance to our gameplay as Pit Players. Who would you bring to battle. Any sort of stage "tricks" would be of use as well. In your response, please rate the stage from 1-10, 1 being the worst stage of choice, 10 being the best of choice, in the end of the week, I'll average it out and post the result.

Stage #1: Final Destination

Stage Rating: 6.7
Characters to Bring: Gannondorf, Ike
Characters to Avoid: Diddy Kong, Falco , Ice Climbers, Mr. Game&Watch, Pikachu

Final Destination is one of the most commonly played neutral stage for both doubles and singles. The stage itself is long and has a flat surface and has no platforms to interfer with any sort of arrow tricks (provided if the player is skilled enough to pull them off), though some claim that the lack of platforms may be problematic depending on one's playstyle seeing how platforms are usually used as a defense of sorts to protect one's self from characters with good downward aerials.

Because of Final Destination's size, camping would be the best in forcing the opponent to approach due to the stage lacking any sort of obsticle. The issue with this is that it would be giving projectile bearing characters the same benefit so it's crucial to control the flow and not get outcamped yourself. Against characters with [poor] approaches and no projectiles such as Ike or Gannondorf, feel free to frenzy of arrows.

Because of the stage having a "lip," it is simpler to anticipate the opponent's recovery but beware of not getting caught under the lips yourself. If hanging onto the ledge and the opponent is rather headstrong, you can catch him/her with a stage spike within the very same lip.

Pit has mediocre killing potential and the high vertical and far horizontal blastzones doesn't make it any better. Chances are that you will need to put more effort into edgeguarding on this stage since characters with a good enough recovery and intelligent players will find a way to return.

Characters to avoid would include characters that can outcamp you such as R.O.B. and Falco. Characters with chain grabs such as King DeeDeeDee and Ice Climbers, and very speedy characters such as Pikachu or Fox.

Characters recommend to bring are Ike and Gannondorf. They are easy targets, but it is no que to let your guard down. There is no need for you to approach since they're the ones that need to enter their killing range while you control the stage with arrows.

Stage #2: Battlefield

Stage Rating:
Characters to Bring:
Characters to Avoid:

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
Well if i had to rate the stage, i give it about 5-7 for pit players, depending on the matup, it either a good stage to play on or a bad stage. the fact that no platform does help with Arrow looping and all the other AT's, Arrow looping on it own doesn't help unless you know how to use it, and all the other ATs don't depend on not having platforms. the Lip under the stage does hurt sometime, i tend to fly in too far and get trap in then get gimped :(

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I thought we had one of these somewhere, umm or maybe it died due to inactivity... oh well.

Anyways, FD is a decent Pit stage. His ledgecamp game is pretty good here and basic. The stage is kinda large and completely flat, with no other platforms interfering with arrow looping capablities. Our camping is effective in some matchups while some other's camping is more effective against us here.

Now the problem with this stage lies within a few factors. Speedy opponents like TL and Fox can run away to camp, or, just to stall, Dedede can spam CGs, ICs could spam CG, etc.

Characters to take:
G&W: Well, we don't have much against this matchup as it is, but it should allow us enough space I suppose.
Ganondorf: Enough room to shoot arrows and CG him when appliable.
Ike: Similar to Ganon's situation.

Characters to avoid:
ICs: Basically you'll be fighting Desnych Iceblock/Blizzard and CG spam, and there is nothing on this stage that can interfere with it.
Diddy: Naners... pretty much.
Pikachu: He can fully manuver around causing pressure with his speed and various attacks.
Falco: He's going to basically spam blasters and CGs to spikes, He could camp against us with the stage of this size.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206886 Well, I'm going by this chart here.

Overall, it's a good decent stage when applying matchups, and be careful when fighting FD-addicts (Noobs that constantly pick this stage). Also, be careful not to get outcamped here, which you most likely will against a few chars, like Falco.
It does make a good Pit training stage online <_<

MrEh

Smash Hero
Instead of making a wall of text, FD can be summarized in 10 seconds.

FD is big. You are Pit. Therefore, FD+Pit=MOAR ARROWS

XD

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
im going to have to disagree with admiral pit on choosing this stage to counter G&W, the lack of platforms leaves you open to his raep key the whole time, if you chose a stage like battlefield it almsot completely takes away his arguably best move

but about FD, id give it an 8/10 for pit, slanted sides to the stage allow for stage spikes which are just to easy if anyone tries to come at you when you are camping the ledge, its largeness allows for arrow spam and its fly underable which is as ive come to realise an extremely important thing to be able to do, however against anyone with a sick Dair like TL or GW i would not pick this stage

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
Surely there is more that can be said about the stage, but if no-one else has anything to add then I suppose I'll move on to the next stage, though it just doesn't seem like much of a discussion.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Sync, can you use a larger text size, I can barely read your posts.

And Final D is good against people you can camp. Against people you can't it's awful. Personally I wouldn't choose it, as my favorite counterpicks are Norfair and Rainbow Cruise. they keep things far more interesting.

LoveChrist

Smash Cadet
Against most slow/heavy characters, I personally like FD. For camping obviously, and the.. Pew Pew Pew!
I'd give it a 6-7/10 because some opponents here can be a real pain. Characters with good dairs (as stated before in the thread) can be quite annoying here also. Tips from me on this stage are, if your opponent doesn't have reflectors/absorbers, spam arrows until you force them to make a move you can punish.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
The stage is nice if you like your arrows.

I'd prefer to stay away from the stage most of the time. Pit likes to get people on platforms and mess with them that way, and the stage has no platforms to do that with. It's fairly large, so Pit's rather disappointing killing potential can hurt here, especially against opponents with good knockback resistance or recoveries. This means more edgeguarding. Pit does excel at that, but it's not always going to work, especially when it comes to characters with great recovery like king dedede and meta knight.

Rating? I dislike numbers, but I guess 6/10 would be good.

Petuh

Smash Rookie
When I train with my friend Veril's Jigglypuff on FD all he says is "I hate Pits arrows."
I'd give it a 7.5, because getting that back air and bouncing your opponent off the ledge is so rewarding.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
hey just so you know we outcamp rob only people who can outcamp us is falco and olimar

also i really like battlefield if you get em on a platform your uair can totally **** them because of its insane priority but it messes with your arrow techs so thats definately a problem

i give this stage a 7.8/10

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
This stage is a bit different to allow Pit to be effective here.
BF offers platforms, and when your opponent is on one that's above Pit, give em U-airs and N-airs, or something pressuring.
The stage is smaller than FD, you can still camp and go under the stage easier, though opponents can use platforms to avoid arrows that you try to control in order to hit em.

Avoid fighting Marth here, for his attacks are more threatening than Pit's attacks, you just dont want to be above him.

BF is decent for Pit too, but at least it's small that runners cant take full effect, like Sonic.

kown

Smash Lord
as i said in the previous stage discussion thread, and i will say it now,WE SHOULD FOCUZ ON CP STAGES. lets be honest, who here doesnt know the advantages/disadvantages to stages such as final destination, battle field, smashville, pokemon stadium, and yoshis island? instead we should focuz on stages such as Rainbow cruise, and other CPs that are general to every region.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
as i said in the previous stage discussion thread, and i will say it now,WE SHOULD FOCUZ ON CP STAGES. lets be honest, who here doesnt know the advantages/disadvantages to stages such as final destination, battle field, smashville, pokemon stadium, and yoshis island? instead we should focuz on stages such as Rainbow cruise, and other CPs that are general to every region.
hmm wellllll i kinda use battlefield as a cp against anybody with a good dair (G&W)

i think sync jsut wants to be thorough and get all the stages compiled

IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE!!

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
hmm wellllll i kinda use battlefield as a cp against anybody with a good dair (G&W)

i think sync jsut wants to be thorough and get all the stages compiled

IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE!!
Thank you. I will move onto the counterpick stages after fully noting down the advantages and disadvantages of the legal stages.

arm

Smash Apprentice
The platforms also offer a chance to bair at high percents if the opponent fails to land properly.

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
Battlefield can hinder arrow tricks such as arrow looping, arrow swarming, etc. If those aren't part of your game, then you musn't worry.

Characters I wouldn't bring would be characters that can utilize platforms better than Pit like Marth.

TsNmi

Smash Cadet
Battlefield can hinder arrow tricks such as arrow looping, arrow swarming, etc. If those aren't part of your game, then you musn't worry.

Characters I wouldn't bring would be characters that can utilize platforms better than Pit like Marth.
People argue that arrowlooping/blitzing is a useless technique and there's better alternatives

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
I guess a stage discussion isn't needed and is probably going to end the same as the one on AiB.

I guess I'll request this to be closed.

In the meanwhile, I'll just lurk around the Pit the boards as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom