• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit is the new Marth

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
remember how in melee, it seemed like tournaments were nothing but marths, foxes, falcos, peaches, and sheiks? well, pit seems like he's going to become the new marth in terms of how much he will be overplayed. even mains of different characters will have a solid pit game just to counterpick or for a last resort move. just my opinion. have a good day, lol.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I think your fears are unfounded. Looking at the brawl tournament video section you see very few, if any, Pits. It's Marth, ROB, and Diddy I'm seeing.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Never compare Pit with Marth again. It brings me bad memories of the past. Pit is better than Marth and you cant change my mind. The arrows and 2 relectors are just 3 of my many reasons why he's better.

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
I think your fears are unfounded. Looking at the brawl tournament video section you see very few, if any, Pits. It's Marth, ROB, and Diddy I'm seeing.
sarcasim?

I played in atourny last night. there were two or three marths, two or three space animals, couple ikes, I was the only ROB, & nearly everyone else was pit.

really though there were about 30 people there about 10 of them were pit.

he is the new marth

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I disagree. The tourney you went to sounds really odd in that sense. Marth is easily the best character when it comes to high level competitive play. That's not to say he has the most potential and he'll be the character EVERYONE uses. Marth is the new Sheik in the sense that new players and veterans alike will pick him up to play as him.

Pit if compared to a Melee character feels more like a Peach in both playstyle and popularity.

solesoul

Smash Apprentice
I hope not, because in the local community I play in, everybody usually tries to find their own character. Not just for uniqueness, but for the bragging rights of being the best at that character. So when the tier list DOES come out, I know that Pit will place highly because of his ease to pick up and play and the fact that you can win by doing noob things with him, but not go higher than mid-tier because of his GLARING weaknesses.

Not similar to Marth at all, because he really didn't have many glaring weaknesses, with the exception of his sub-par recovery, and with side-b, that wasn't a big deal at all. Marth is the New Marth.

V

Smash Ace
he isn't the new marth. he's the first pit. lets get it straight. marth is my main and im contemplating having pit as my second but i dont want to join the bandwagon of everybody who just uses top tier or high tier characters just to be good like they did in melee. i hate ppl who main the best characters just to do it. have your own identity and create your own fighting styles and combos. thats what this game should be. not a bunch of top tier dittos playing tournaments for glory

Scio

Smash Rookie
I went to a Tourney the other day and to tell you the truth... There was only 2 Pits. Some other guy and myself. The rest were Marths, Olimars, Foxes, and R.O.Bs.

Foofshenheimer

Smash Cadet
in terms of overuse, i see an abundance of ike and metaknight. after those i see a large amount of toon links. hardly any pits. of course i only played 1 online tourney and like 30 gamebattles ladder matches.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Pit is Pit. Marth is Marth.

If anyone is overplayed it's MetaKnight.

Renufus

Smash Apprentice
The new Marth is still Marth. Pit is just flying Marth with a spammable projectile and reflectors.

Not necessarily overplayed, but really no fun at all to play against in my experience. The strat against everyone generally boils down to "sit on the edge of the stage and spam arrows and HYAYAYAYA when they get close. Finish with a fsmash."

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
Pit completely owns Marth. Projectile spaming :D
Even so I use Marth much more that Pit, as I like the Fire Emblem series, as well as cool swords, and I didn't like Kid Icarus. Also with Pit all I do is arrow spam endlessly, combined with smashes and side b. I don't like camping, but since Pit is built for it, not really any other way to do it. I don't want to improve my skills with a camping character(one reason DDD is going to moved down soon on my main character list).

P.S. Yes Pit can be used in a non-camping way. However, it is so much easier to use him in a campy way, that I can't help but camp with him. Also I don't like Pit partly because he looks like Sora, but isn't.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I've thought of Pit as the new Shiek myself. Pit is the Brawl character that people can pick up easily and win with but is still good even at higher level play. This is very similar to Marth but I just started calling him the new Shiek first.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Pit doesn't own Marth.

Marth has advantage on Pit.

Once you get past the arrow spam Marth can put a hurting on Pit.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
how can pit be the new marth i mean hes almost the oposite of marth
marths recovery sucks pits rocks
marth has no projectiles cannot camp(lol)
sometimes i just wished that there were no tiers so that chars would not be overused cuz wen u go to a tourney now u will see Pit Marth Mk Olimar toon link didy just becuz ppl think that top tier means its a MUST main
hmm and how come there arent many space animals now as before?
wats the solution?? main DK lol

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth's recovery is decent and Marth can camp Pit actually.

You just have to know how.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
how is marths recovery decent his forward b is now canceled and neutral b sucks for recovery
pit can fly under the stage lol best recovery?? i think so compared to marths its like comparing a plane and a car which can fly highest

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Looking at all the characters Marth's recovery is average.

Forward B does give height but only the first time.

Neutral B is fine for recovery, especially when fully charged.

I mean...Honestly there is no comparison with Pit and Marth.

Pit has better recovery and better camping.

Marth has better...uhhhh..everything else. lol.

lorddotm

Smash Rookie
Looking at all the characters Marth's recovery is average.

Forward B does give height but only the first time.

Neutral B is fine for recovery, especially when fully charged.

I mean...Honestly there is no comparison with Pit and Marth.

Pit has better recovery and better camping.

Marth has better...uhhhh..everything else. lol.
get over ur fanboyness

marth's recover sucks, he is a beast, but one sent off, easy as hell to edge guard

Corigames

Smash Hero
remember how in melee, it seemed like tournaments were nothing but marths, foxes, falcos, peaches, and sheiks?
No?
well, pit seems like he's going to become the new marth in terms of how much he will be overplayed.
I don't see many other pits, but I hear there are a couple in my area.
even mains of different characters will have a solid pit game just to counterpick or for a last resort move.
That's like saying everyone had an awesome Fox in melee. they didn't. Truset me.
just my opinion. have a good day, lol.
K lol :)

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Can someone tell me what actual point of this topic is and if it in any way can benefit the community?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
get over ur fanboyness

marth's recover sucks, he is a beast, but one sent off, easy as hell to edge guard
Fanboy?

>_>

No.

I use facts to back up what I say. I have already proven that Marth is a better character then Pit in another thread.

Also I play both Marth nad Pit so fanboyism isn't an issue.

Lurk more newb.

Seriously, I'm getting sick of these new members trying to talk down to me.

New blood should have respect for old heads.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
We don't need a flame war starting in here.

Lorddotm, first of all I'd like to welcome you to Smashboards.com, as I'm sure you've seen this is a very large community. I'd like to you that you'd please conduct your behavior better and respect the other people posting in the Pit forum.

And Emblem Lord, please set a better example. No one likes being talked down to but come on, please don't retaliate to something as minor as this. The word newb (noob, n00b, ect...) has been causing a lot of tension in the community and we don't want it to spill out in the Pit forums as well.

Again I have to ask, can someone tell me what actual point of this topic is and if it in any way can benefit the community? I can't see how. If this is the case can we just allow this topic to die off? I can't see anything but trouble coming from this thread.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
i have no idea how this thread helps but i just like to state that marth, metaknight isnt an auto win in any sense of the meaning, i main pit and ive taken down quite a few marths and metaknights, simply because i know my mains weaknesses so i no how your are going to approach me, also marth recovery does not suck its average and heres a tip dont >B with marth when you are trying to recover it only takes away your momentum charged b will do much better for you. And finally if anyone wants to play me send me a pm with your fc and take mine <<<, that is all

toothcake

Smash Rookie
I personally play as Pit against my friends all the time (usually not online) and I have to admit, anybody just starting out as Pit can get really good just knowing his Side B, Up B, and Arrow spam.

I have however found greater success using the arrows just to stall a charging opponent, or to hit a character like Marth and Ike with their long swords. I have to admit it frustrates me to lose to a friend who will just tap b on the edge of the map, but this is what drives me to play with a different style.

Is he the strongest character though? Not at all. Is he the most popular character? Depends on the crowd. I actually see alot of Snakes and Ikes.

potshot

Smash Rookie
As far as Pit being the new Marth, this is only true in some ways, imo. First of all, its natural for most people to be drawn to new things. And because Pit was revealed earlier than most SSBB characters, I'm assuming many people were eager to play as him. I'm going to guess that Pit's popularity dies down in a month or two as people discover characters that they themselves like every aspect of, not just the new aspect.

In terms of skill, a Pit player can beat a Marth player, and vice versa. This is Super Smash Bros. we are talking about. Any character is a match for any other character. The real deciding factor is the player.

m0nkey1sme

Smash Rookie
he isn't the new marth. he's the first pit. lets get it straight. marth is my main and im contemplating having pit as my second but i dont want to join the bandwagon of everybody who just uses top tier or high tier characters just to be good like they did in melee. i hate ppl who main the best characters just to do it. have your own identity and create your own fighting styles and combos. thats what this game should be. not a bunch of top tier dittos playing tournaments for glory

Exactly. That's why brawl is ten times better than melee. because in melee, only like 7 characters had a serious competetive chance and everyone played top tier with no honor. I attempted to main yoshi competetively, not very easy. Pit is my main and i dont see how he is a new marth. he is popular in the semi competetive noobish section of spammers. in the real competetive world he is not all that common.

Proud non-spammer Pit!

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
All these kids picking Pit wouldn't bother me if any of them were actually decent. They simply do the bread and butter strategy of: Stay back, spam arrows, wait until opponent comes close, then fsmash. Should they get knocked off, they use his godlike recovery.

Bad Marths were easy to pick off because they had glaring weaknesses. Bad Pits aren't going to be too much easier than good Pits, lol.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I know you're new to the forums PK, but do you have any idea how much technical prowess it takes to even be decent at every facet of Pit's game?

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
All these kids picking Pit wouldn't bother me if any of them were actually decent. They simply do the bread and butter strategy of: Stay back, spam arrows, wait until opponent comes close, then fsmash. Should they get knocked off, they use his godlike recovery.

Bad Marths were easy to pick off because they had glaring weaknesses. Bad Pits aren't going to be too much easier than good Pits, lol.
Short hop air dodge to avoid the arrows while approaching. If you block the first hit of the f-smash, you can safely roll behind him during his second hit and D-smash him before he can do anything about it. It's amazing how easy it is to gimp Pit's recovery if you jump off the edge after him.

Esca

Smash Champion
This is a useless thread man. And I went to a tournament with about 40 people, and i was one of two pits, and i won the play n trade tournament. The other pit was weak, but that's irrelavent. Pit is underused actually. I've seen more peaches in tourneys than pits, or snakes for that matter.

Esca

Smash Champion

This kid is wrong. He's actually very wrong.

Top Bottom