• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ping on different computers

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
So I recently came back home for the summer and am currently using my home PC where I get like 74 ping on galaxy vs. the usual 27-35 ping I got on my personal PC at school. Geographically, there's not really any difference in distance to the server in NY because school wasn't that far away from where I live. I know my connection here at home is decent, it's a high speed cable internet connection. When I have my own comp hooked up I get somewhere around 35-40 ping I think, but I wanted to play on this home comp because it has windows XP unlike my comp which has vista, and P64k runs smoother on XP because vista is stupid.

But 74 means 7 frame delay which is horribly unplayable for me because I've never played over 3 frames. Is there any reason why the ping on one computer is so much worse? The comp is a litter older, but I still don't see why I can get different pings on different comps.

If anyone knows a way to get around this, that would be cool, if there even is such a solution. Maybe there's not =(

Thanks

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
That wasn't really my point, Peek =/

I can plug both of my computers at home into my router and they get significantly different pings i think (gonna check it again when I move the rest of my crap home tomorrow night), the worse ping is on the older computer with windows XP (and XP runs p64k more smoothly than vista).

NixxxoN

Smash Master
What Peek said. Monster connections like a university connection always get very small pings everywhere and huge bandwidth.

Edit: I have 150 ping on G64 from home and 100 from my university

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I get 78 ping (always exactly 78) on the university computers, but at home, my ping varies between 93 and 115ish. University internet connections are simply better than home connections... for the most part.

Off-topic, if anyone sees me constantly logging off and on of kaillera, it's because I'm constantly re-joining to try to get my ping below 100... since that way I get 7 frames instead of 9.

Top Bottom