• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pimp my stick... baby.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
I want to commission an artist to design a new faceplate for my arcade stick.
It's a Madcatz Tournament Edition stick. There's a template freely available, too.

I'm not looking for any kind of game or character specific art.
I'm looking to have something stylish with colorful swirls, ink splats, and other such designs.
Still trying to decide on the specifics of what I want, but that's the gist of it.
If anyone knows of an artist that's handy with this kind of thing, please let me know.
If you have some ideas, please toss them up here, too.
I'd greatly appreciate it. ~<3

Protip: I like pastel colors. Mostly pinks, blues, and purples.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
i have the psd open, i can't really suggest a style/theme/color scheme, but i'll watch this thread :o

i already know you want something abstract i guess

DC

Smash Cadet
Have the joystick centered around Tager's crotch.

Purple

Hi guys!
Can I just make a picture and put it on template? If i could i might make this.

FwatSoduh should teach me stuff

DC

Smash Cadet
lol @ people who play around in Photoshop and think they are artists.

Anyways, use this picture:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Slightly interested.

I'll look into it. I'm not too keen on how to make paint splatters in Photoshop, but fortunately, I have some media with me. Oil pastels, water colors, color pencils, and pastel/water color paper. The two paper will provide an interesting texture. It all depends on what you want. Once I get it done on physical media, I can scan it, edit it in Photoshop, then move on to show you.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
For any artists interested in this, I'd appreciate it if you showed me some examples of your work, or perhaps a rough concept of design ideas.
I'm only going to pick one design, and it's going to be on my stick for a long while, so I want it to be a good one. ;D

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Slightly interested.

I'll look into it. I'm not too keen on how to make paint splatters in Photoshop, but fortunately, I have some media with me. Oil pastels, water colors, color pencils, and pastel/water color paper. The two paper will provide an interesting texture. It all depends on what you want. Once I get it done on physical media, I can scan it, edit it in Photoshop, then move on to show you.

you can be lazy and search on deviant art for some photoshop splatter brushes,

or you can take a normal round brush and hit f5 and mess around with the scatter and shape dynamics

it isn't hard~

@daysoo, i don't save my work :(

Daysoo

Smash Ace
@daysoo, i don't save my work :(
It's pretty important for artists to build a portfolio, though. :(

In other news, little designs I like:
Swirls, ink blots, flowers, stars, hearts... You get the picture.

Oh, and I'll only be able to pay for / use one design in the end.
I don't want to be a **** or anything, but this has to be professional quality.
If you're actually going to try and design something for me, talk to me about it.
I'm always signed in on AIM and such.
I don't want a bunch of people trying to be nice and make something for me, and then not being able to pay for something that doesn't meet my standards.
This was mostly to FIND an artist to work with, y'know?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
By payment, what are you talking about? If you mean pay for our work, I know I wasn't going to charge you anything. If you mean paying to reproduce it onto your arcade stick, dunno what to tell you 'bout that.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
By payment, what are you talking about? If you mean pay for our work, I know I wasn't going to charge you anything. If you mean paying to reproduce it onto your arcade stick, dunno what to tell you 'bout that.
I was going to pay an artist to design something for me, which is why it's so important for it to be professional quality.
I'm going to be carting this stick around to tournaments, you know. :p

stingers

Smash Obsessed
its relatively easy to become pro enough at photoshop to design something abstract like you're looking for and have it look cool. i think there are some people on smashboards that could help you out

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Daysoo could always go to the Artwork Emporium found on this site.

People like Yink, C4, and I go there and I'm sure people would do the piece for free. As I would. Just give me some time, I'll do what I can.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
fractals looked kinda bad on the template.

so i was going pretty basic and came up with something like this...

saved it smaller so it won't stretch the page out.
just messing around.
oh and as zio said, a lot of people would do it for free, i would too, charging is whack.

again this is pretty basic, just a round brush with some shape dynamics and scattering for a "splatter." I could've used stock brushes, but that's not ~my~ work. it'd be someone elses. soft pallid glow around the holes and yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. this wasn't a submission, just an idea ~~~~

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
YEAHHHHHHH . . . I know I'm no good.

*sad faces*

I just hate throwing a ton of stuff on. And fractals is something PS 7.0 can't, though I would love to do it some time soon. Since now some one has shown what they have, guess I'll provide an image of what I have thus far, too.

It's not done and I plan to do something more to those stars. Those stars actually are just a guideline for me. They won't be there as I will be replacing them..

Daysoo

Smash Ace
fractals looked kinda bad on the template.

so i was going pretty basic and came up with something like this...

saved it smaller so it won't stretch the page out.
just messing around.
oh and as zio said, a lot of people would do it for free, i would too, charging is whack.

again this is pretty basic, just a round brush with some shape dynamics and scattering for a "splatter." I could've used stock brushes, but that's not ~my~ work. it'd be someone elses. soft pallid glow around the holes and yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. this wasn't a submission, just an idea ~~~~
Guess I should clarify:
I'd like Pink to be the primary color.
Also, if I could have my tag (Daysoo) on there somewhere it'd be great.
There's also some uncomfortable empty space on this that looks kind of awkward.

YEAHHHHHHH . . . I know I'm no good.

*sad faces*

I just hate throwing a ton of stuff on. And fractals is something PS 7.0 can't, though I would love to do it some time soon. Since now some one has shown what they have, guess I'll provide an image of what I have thus far, too.

It's not done and I plan to do something more to those stars. Those stars actually are just a guideline for me. They won't be there as I will be replacing them..
A step in the right direction.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
K

I got something more, Daysoo. I'll post it up tomorrow. I like it more than the other variations I have provided.

Post tomorrow.

EDIT - the new variation ~

Daysoo

Smash Ace
K

I got something more, Daysoo. I'll post it up tomorrow. I like it more than the other variations I have provided.

Post tomorrow.

EDIT - the new variation ~

Those green stars are kinda weirding me out.
I like the font for the name, and the border around it.
It still feels like it's missing something, though...

Top Bottom