• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikmin still drown!

IllidR

Smash Champion
Watch out for the few water levels out there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2-zGfVEXlI

Blue pikmin have grown in importance from more than being standard knockback with smashes. They also still breathe underwater.
Relying solely on your blue Pikmin on water-based stages will definitely be difficult though; Olimar is not guaranteed to pluck blue Pikmin on these stages so his others are more likely to die premature deaths. Because of this I definitely believe Olimar players will be seeing counter-picked stages against them that incorporate swimming to kill off their Pikmin.

Aguasatori

Smash Journeyman
Well, I guess it makes sense, although it isn't particularly fair. Olimar players will have to think of something to bypass this.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
The one good thing about this is that only one level has permanent water (from what I recall) and that's Toon Link's stage. However, you can still use your Up B to aim down from above the ledge, and the water makes it extremely easy to recover on that level anyway, as you get your double jump back after landing in it. The level probably has an increased chance of blue pikmin as well.

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
That may seem like something that could send olimar back, but how many coarses with water look tournemnt legit? It really shouldn't influence olimar THAT much.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
I just had a thought. I probably have nothing to worry about, but I just got suddenly curious about how water attacks (Squirtle and Mario) will affect Pikmin. They do say on the Dojo that Red and Yellow pikmin keep their fire and electric resistance properties, meaning that if they were in a vulnerable state they probably wouldn't take damage from from fire balls and thunder shocks. But water gun doesn't immediately mean drown...

Zinc

Smash Apprentice
this may be a real problem in the Delfino and Summit stages respectivly.

hopefully you have more chance to get Blue pikmin in those stages,

shanus

Smash Hero
does the presence of that stage influence how many blue pikmin you pick up?

Florida

イーグランツ
does the presence of that stage influence how many blue pikmin you pick up?
Correct. A certain stage shouldn't be a problem as counter-picks, unless they're focused on Olimar instead of specifically the Pikmin. If someone counter-picks a water stage, there really isn't much of a problem. Chances are that you'll end up plucking up blue Pikmin most of the time anyway. Though, if the blue Pikmin aren't the best fighters of the bunch, then this could be a strategy against Olimar mains.

Too many situations. :dizzy:

IllidR

Smash Champion
Correct. A certain stage shouldn't be a problem as counter-picks, unless they're focused on Olimar instead of specifically the Pikmin. If someone counter-picks a water stage, there really isn't much of a problem. Chances are that you'll end up plucking up blue Pikmin most of the time anyway. Though, if the blue Pikmin aren't the best fighters of the bunch, then this could be a strategy against Olimar mains.

Too many situations. :dizzy:
Well we don't know this for sure. We saw the match of Olimar vs Bowser on the Summit and it didn't seem like Olimar was plucking more blues than any other match.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
Blue pikmin overall are pretty good. Like in the games, they are pretty average, and so do well in terms of distance thrown and knockback. You just don't get any craziness like you do with the other pikmin.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
The one good thing about this is that only one level has permanent water (from what I recall) and that's Toon Link's stage. However, you can still use your Up B to aim down from above the ledge, and the water makes it extremely easy to recover on that level anyway, as you get your double jump back after landing in it. The level probably has an increased chance of blue pikmin as well.
you can NOT aim olimars Up B. it goes at a 45 degree angle up no matter what. it also will not sweet spot the ledge unless it is at that 45 degree or your lower then the ledge. if you played the game for even a second you'd know this.

also plucking certain pikmin on certain stages is not as apparent as you might expect. you might get a slight more Blue pikmin on such a level *MAYBE* but what causes pikmin of different types to be plucked has not been proven in any way. any topic on the matter is pure speculation at this point.

*from someone who has played the game*

*edit*
you can pluck pikmin so fast and down B save your pikmin so easily. I would not worry that much about pikmin drowning. if your in the state where your off the stage in the water you have more to worry about then your pikmin dieing.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
Tether recovery aims at the ledge if you're withing a 30 degree angle (approximation) above the ledge to 75 degree angle below the ledge (another approximation) and are in a recovery position (as in, off the main platform). I should know because I used this fact to dodge attacks with Ivysaur and Olimar for the last two days, and even had people watching me going "I didn't know you could do that." There are also vids posted where I've seen this. I'm not going to meticulously track one down right now just to prove something that I've done myself only hours ago, but I'll keep my eye open for one to show you.

But before I do, and people will back me up on this TETHER RECOVERY HOMES IN AT THE LEDGE. It just only happens when you're recovering. If you're on or above the main platform already, safe and sound, it'll only go in whatever angle it was designed to (ZSS goes straight up, Olimar 45 degrees).

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
I can attest that Olimar's Up+B will home in to ledges. It will even angle downward instead of upward, and also straight up. Most noticeable with more Pikmin in the chain, of course.

It will also auto-turn you around if you're facing away from the edge, unlike, say, Link's clawshot. All in all, with all 6 Pikmin it's rather hard to miss the edge. :p

TheGoodCaptain

Smash Rookie
is it possible to recover drowning pikmin with the whistle? i'd have to think so, it was an important technique in the pikmin games, it should be in brawl.

NoobasaurusRex

Smash Rookie
is it possible to recover drowning pikmin with the whistle? i'd have to think so, it was an important technique in the pikmin games, it should be in brawl.
Honestly, the presence of water in stages is really a nonisssue for Olimar. The video is a poor example taken too far (sounds rather strong). What I'm trying to say is that the amount of Pikmin that die from water is probably... 5-10% of your total Pikmin deaths (i.e. dying from you throwing them off a cliff, into a projectile to save yourself... etc) it really isn't even a minor hindrance to Olimar.

kafke

Smash Apprentice
i believe the almighty whistle will save the poor pikmin. It brings them right next to olimar, so let the pikmin be saved! Its sad that they can drown.... I never liked it in the pikmin games...

Brasil

Smash Cadet
They do obviously drown, but it doesn't seem like it'll be a major issue, regardless of whether you're playing a tourney or not. What I see happening in that video is non-blue Pikmin drowning when they're in the water for over a second. Even in this video, you'll see Olimar jumping to keep the Pikmin above the surface.

Top Bottom