• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika's Custom Moves Thread (Discuss 'em Here!)

Which moves do you use?

• Total voters

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I've been just using standard Pika but I do like all variations of Skull Bash, and Thunder Wave may be a fun alternative to test.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
I've updated the OP with more stuff on Heavy Skull Bash, Quick Feet, and Thunder Burst after playing around with them for a while. Be my guest if you want to double check the kill percent numbers, I don't know how accurate they are since I don't know if the training mode CPU's are using DI or VI.

Interesting thing I discovered is that you shouldn't use Heavy Skull Bash out of a walk or run, or even a dash jump or any related movement. The damage actually decreases so that a point blank uncharged bash only does 6%. You can charge it out of the movement though to normal max power, but the charge takes as long as regular Skull Bash again. And you can bash out of a dash in the opposite direction for the regular damage, but if you "pivot cancel" then the lower damage happens. Weird right?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Interesting thing I discovered is that you shouldn't use Heavy Skull Bash out of a walk or run, or even a dash jump or any related movement. The damage actually decreases so that a point blank uncharged bash only does 6%. You can charge it out of the movement though to normal max power, but the charge takes as long as regular Skull Bash again. And you can bash out of a dash in the opposite direction for the regular damage, but if you "pivot cancel" then the lower damage happens. Weird right?
Thanks so much for this. I was experimenting with Heavy Skull Bash yesterday... wow I love it... but there's some weirdness to its behaviour. I think you captured a lot of what that is for me here.

w00p pika so good!

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Heavy Skull Bash (Over-B 3) has some mid % follow ups from Forward and Back throw. Success depends on size, fall speed, and weight along with how they vector. Basicallly... test it on who you have trouble with to know your limit.

At very low % you can catch almost anyone if they don't tech the land. Even then, you may still catch them if they roll.
Low % (20-40) is usually safe on a good chunk of the cast like Greninja and Sheik

After that you'll either miss because they go to high or the hit will be so weak you'll basically flop helplessly on the ground in front of your opponent. In theory, you can get a little more mileage out of it against fatties like Bowser, but I haven't specifically tried them yet.

The other 2 skull bashes take too long to fire and travel for this to ever work.

darkwing0o0rama

Smash Rookie
As for the strange extra boost from heavy skull bash (over 3), I have been successfully able to replicate it. It has nothing to do with being in the magnifying glass, it only has extra range when you use it after being sent flying (any distance I think).
If you do anything else first while flying, I believe it will not give you the extra boost.
Test it for yourself and correct me if I'm wrong.

I do not know if there are any differences in damage or the ability to send opponents flying....
I wonder if any other characters custom moves have a hidden attribute like this.

*edit*
To clarify, I've found that you will only get the distance boost from heavy skull bash if it is your first action just as you regain control of Pikachu (when he stops smoking from being knocked into the air), if you even move to control where you will fall or wait and fall naturally for a moment, it will only travel the standard distance.

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, it's fun to see that Brawl's "momentum-cancelling" didn't completely disappear in Smash4. Some moves have wonky physics when they are initiated while your character still has any knockback momentum. Heavy Skull Bash is one of them. Wario's Wectoring is another (different) example. Your character still has the effects of knockback on them, but you are free to input an action. And when you do that action, crazy things happen.

I've been intentionally using this property of Heavy Skull Bash to help my recovery. Hope it doesn't get patched out :)

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
After playing a bit more with customs I found myself leaning heavily towards standard Thunder and Thunder Jolt, but as for Skull Bash I think both 2 and 3 are pretty valid (especially 3), and all forms of Quick Attack are worth looking at, but 1 is my preferred.

maidson

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mardigrason
Can anyone confirm wether it is possible to Meteor Quick Attack in the same direction with both bursts? I've got the timing down to go different directions with the two bursts, but can't seem to get the hang of twice in the same direction.

RadioactiveMoth

Smash Cadet
Thunder Wave/Stun Jolt has a lot of ending lag, which makes it impossible to even get a grab in, if you aren't very close. However, you can use it to force your opponent to fall off the ledge (if they're on it) and re-grab it, thus giving you an opportunity for a ledge punish. I also noticed that the stun lasts longer when you're at high damage, so I think the rage effect also affects Stun Jolt. I personally prefer the normal Thunder Jolt, but this can be great for a more aggressive play style, or against certain opponents, depending on character, customs, and play style.

Top Bottom