• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu's Alt Specials?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Since Alternate Specials are a thing, and Pikachu's are inexistant at the moment, it seems like it'd be pretty exciting to hear everyones ideas on possible Alt Specials. Come up with ideas, let your imagination take control! :3

My Ideas

Thunder
Alt 1: T1 becomes weaker, cloud doesn't spike, but T2 gets stored for later use if T1 hits pika; the next input of down B would release T2 In about, 9 frames I guess

Alt 2: inputting down B will set the thunder cloud as a trap, the thunder cloud will shoot T1 as soon as an opponent gets close to being under it, and goes away after being triggered twice; pressing down B after setting the cloud will make it dissappear, and a new one would appear where Pikachu is

Quick Attack
Alt 1: QA loses it's hitbox, but becomes generally lagless and has invincibility on not just the start up, but the first few active frames (3 or 5 frames of invincibility);:

Alt 2: QA gains a combo capable launch hitbox; can be jump canceled, even in the air; only has one input

Skullbash
Alt 1: startup would be 7 frames, recovery would be 10 frames; charging is gone; Pikachu jets forward with an electric skullbash that has multiple hits and a vacuum effect upon hit confirm, very good combo attack; it'd look a SH F-Air from a dashjump in Melee

Alt 2: upon inputting side b, pikachu will auto charge to full power; during the charge Pikachu would have super armor, and a wind effect in front to pull in close opponents; upon release the explosion deals heavy damage to close opponents; Skullbash's hitbox would be large, disjointed, and would not stop Pikas forward momentum upon hit confirm; endlag would be 50 frames (maybe too many frames?)

Last edited:

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Neutral B (jolt attack): make it faster

The main point of that special is to paralyze the enemy anyway

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
It would be cool if Pika's Neutral B got a slower version, but it has a paralyze effect like ZSS' down smash.

GloriousV

Smash Cadet
I have some ideas for Pikachu's alt specials. I chose to stay with moves that are available to Pikachu in the pokemon games or the tgc, not saying it should be like that, is just how I wanted to do it. Sorry for not putting all these pics in spoiler tags, don't know how to do it in this forum.

Neutral Special Alts

1. Nuzzle

This move will work similarly to Fox's reflector with some changes.

- The move will have the same effect as the initial effect Fox's Reflector has upon activation, but with an electrical damage animation upon hitting the opponent.
- It wont reflect projectiles.
- It cant be held.
- It would have less recovery than Fox's Reflector to compensate for the lack of projectile reflection.

2. Electric Ball

Exactly the same as Samus' Charge Shot but with the design you see in the picture.

Up Special Alts

1. Agility

It will work similarly to Pichu's agility with some changes.

-No self inflicted damage.
-Adds one extra dash.

2. Thunder Wave

Variation of Quick Attack.

-Removes one dash
-At the start and at the end of the move Pikachu will release a Thunder wave just like the one you see in the picture.
-If the opponent comes in contact with one of these two Thunder Waves, he/she will be in a Stun state( like ZSS down smash).

Down Special Alts

1. Discharge

Variation of Thunder.

-The cloud and the thunderbolt are remove only leaving the electric effect Pikachu has when hit with the thunderbolt.
-The attack will have some startup lag but it will be obviously much faster than just performing it with the default move.

2.Charge

Combination of Thunder and Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing.

-The animation of the move is the same as Thunder with the exception of having a Charge animation when Pikachu is hit with the move.
-The cloud and the thunderbolt don't cause any stun to opponents, but do cause some minimal damage.
-When Pikachu is hit with the move he will receive a damage power up just like Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing.
-The thunderbolt goes trough platforms.
-Pikachu needs to get hit with the thunderbolt to receive the damage power up.

Side Special Alts

1. Wild Charge

Similar to Charizard's Flare Blitz.

-More powerful than Skull Bash, but less movement speed.
-The move would have an electrical effect when hitting the opponent.
-Pikachu will damage himself when the move is used fully charged and will cause an electrical explosion.

2. Slam

Similar to Ganondorf's Side Special.

-Pikachu will launch forward, grab the opponent and slam them down with his tail.
-Cant be charged.
-Faster startup and faster movement speed than an uncharged Skull Bash.

Angiance

Smash Lord
@ Goten21 Goten21
Do you mean framewise or travel speed?

@ kackamee kackamee
So that'd be like Mario's Fire Orb, right?

@ GloriousV GloriousV
T-Jolt - Alt 1
How about being able to hold it, but the discharge weakens overtime and shrinks in size (multihit move) like Bowser's Flame Breath

QA - Alt 1
That's exactly where I got my idea for QA Alt 1; Pichu in Melee

Thunder - Alt 1
That'd be too powerful, no? Discharge (T2) in-game KOs at low percent (80%); It's slightly weaker than a fully charged Skull Bash

Thunder - Alt 2
This sounds nice, but Pikachu has a hard time landing KO attacks; it'd be great if the opponent is open for KO attacks, but bad if the opponent has a thick defense against KO attacks

Skull Bash - Alt 2
This sounds very nice, I'm assuming the recovery on this would be low enough to combo into say, U-Smash?

GloriousV

Smash Cadet
@ Angiance Angiance

1. That could work if the opponent does not get hit with the initial hit of Nuzzle which is intended to be used (competitively) just like Fox's Shine in Melee.

2. Yeah, it is suppose to be his best recovery move in the sense of distance it can cover, but since its moving at Pichu's Agility speed your opponent may be able to read it an punish it more easily. So is a give and take.

3. I could have been a bit biased here :p, but like you said Pikachu needs easier to land KO moves. I suppose you could decrease it in power and also I intended the move to be react-able.

4. True, but if you combine it with some of my other Alt moves like Electro Ball and Slam, I think it could be useful.

5. Yes the enemy will bounce when hit with the move and Pikachu will have a chance to combo depending on what percent the enemy is in.

E-ColeWorld

Smash Apprentice
ALT SIDE SPECIAL

Iron Tail

I consider this to be one because this is still a nice physical attack and was used throughout the anime. (Basically is well known)

Like Little Mac and his side special, Pikachu can jump toward which ever direction the player input and hit downwards which can cause a meteor effect.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I'd love to see Iron Tail be an alternate of Skull Bash. Iron Tail is a common attack Pikachu uses in the anime and Trainer Red's Pikachu in Heart Gold and Black/White 2 both have Iron Tail. Pikachu can't even learn Skull Bash. From a design standpoint, Skull Bash is also super boring, also used by Luigi, and would have to be changed a lot to be viable as an attack outside of FFA.

I like to pretend up smash is Iron Tail though.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I was thinking that a neutral special alternate could be Electro Ball, like some of you have said, but I picture it a little differently. I would imagine it to not be chargeable, but it would just shoot forward (Like one of Mario's alts) and do light damage.

I imagine it like the middle one here:

E-ColeWorld

Smash Apprentice
@ BlueBubbee BlueBubbee thats a good idea but it seems to be more of an neutral attack. but it can be a side special as well...well find out if he release info before the game releases

The_Sheik

Smash Apprentice
A version of Skull Bash that has an electricity effect and is faster and stronger but with recoil damage would be cool. It could be named Volt Tackle, but it's Pikachu's Final Smash already.

E-ColeWorld

Smash Apprentice
A version of Skull Bash that has an electricity effect and is faster and stronger but with recoil damage would be cool. It could be named Volt Tackle, but it's Pikachu's Final Smash already.
Not trying to be rude but let's keep the self inflicting damage in melee

Veggi

Smash Champion
I'd like it if an alternate for Pikachu's Side B was Brick Break. It would not be chargeable but it would do more damage to shields.

I was thinking that a neutral special alternate could be Electro Ball, like some of you have said, but I picture it a little differently. I would imagine it to not be chargeable, but it would just shoot forward (Like one of Mario's alts) and do light damage.

I imagine it like the middle one here:

I was trying to think of a way that the "Does more damage depending on how much faster you are" could be translated to Smash. I was thinking that it could be a ball shaped Neutral B that gains damage the longer it traveled and is faster than Pikachu's Neutral B, but the max damage only exceeds Pikachu's Neutral B at 4/5 of the way through and further.

Not trying to be rude but let's keep the self inflicting damage in melee
Flare Blitz has the same effect in Smash 4. :p

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I was trying to think of a way that the "Does more damage depending on how much faster you are" could be translated to Smash. I was thinking that it could be a ball shaped Neutral B that gains damage the longer it traveled and is faster than Pikachu's Neutral B, but the max damage only exceeds Pikachu's Neutral B at 4/5 of the way through and further.
Electro Ball's effects are kind of hard to transfer into smash. I really like your idea, it sounds really good. My only other idea as to how it could work is how fast you run. Like, if you run straight forward and use it while running it could do more damage than if you ran a shorter distance.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Electro Ball's effects are kind of hard to transfer into smash. I really like your idea, it sounds really good. My only other idea as to how it could work is how fast you run. Like, if you run straight forward and use it while running it could do more damage than if you ran a shorter distance.
Yeah, my reasoning was that if the opponent was faster, they would be in Pikachu's face too often to get hit by the strongest part of the move. It's a stretch.

I just don't want to make it literal and have the move do low damage to Sonic and high damage to Zelda or something. I don't think slow characters need their lives even worse, haha.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93

Pikachu's first custom special (one on top left) is called "Self-Power Generation", while the one on the bottom is called "High Thunder."

Wonder what Self-Power Generation means in this context. The Pokemon move Charge is じゅうでん, so maybe it's related.

Last edited:

Soul.

Great Thunder does more damage when it begins...interesting. Maybe it could function similarly to the old Thunder Pikachu had in previous Smash Bros. games. I suppose this could let Pikachu K.O earlier compared to the standard Thunder, which is good, especially when used with the Up Smash.
I think Self-Generation is going to be used as a "shield-attacking" move in that someone tries to attack Pikachu, but gets damaged by the move. If I recall correctly, it's a multi-hit move, so I guess it could help break combos from the opponent or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom