• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu upB tricks

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Since a long time I've been using a lot of upB with Pikachu to trick my opponents off, it works very well if you're opponent isn't used to it, although often there are better alternatives. As I haven't seen other Pikachus use the tricks I use, it often works on my opponents, so maybe after showing my moves (showmeyamoves) less people will fall for it.

Note 1: I use a keyboard, so these tricks work best with keyboard, and I'm not sure what works and does not work with controller. Note that Pikachu automatically changes direction to the right after upBing up or down, so some tricks are only possible on the left side of a stage. Also, there are probably tricks (which I don't know yet) that are only possible with controller because keyboard only has 8 directions.
Note 2: I play mostly on Dreamland, sometimes on Hyrule, so most tricks are for these stages.
Note 3: I'll try to make some pictures later to clarify

Hyrule 1
On the big middle field, keep rolling to the left as far as you can. Then, upB to the left and then down, and you will hang on the edge, canceling your upB lag. Should work with keyboard and controller

Hyrule 2
On the left part of Hyrule, keep rolling or moving to the right as far as you can, then upB to the left and then diagonally right-down, and you will hang on the edge, canceling your upB lag. Works for keyboard and all controllers I guess.

Dreamland 1
On the main ground, stand below the right edge of the left platform, then upB to the left and then diagonally right-down, and you will hang on the edge, canceling your upB lag. Works for keyboard and all controllers I guess. The same trick works on the right side of Dreamland, for that you have to stand below the left edge of the right platform.

Dreamland 2
On the main ground, roll to the left as far as you can, then upB up and to the right, and you will edge-cancel your upB on the upper platform, canceling the lag. Works for keyboard and all controllers I guess. The same trick works on the right side of Dreamland, just start as far on the right as possible.

Dreamland 3
On the main ground, roll to the left as far as you can, then upB up and then diagonally rightdown, and you will not edge-cancel your upB on the left platform, though you will have less lag than normal. Anyone knows why? Works on the right part of the stage too.

With edgecancel:
"The Star King said:
This is a similar technique: Grab the left ledge. Get up using a normal ledge get-up or a get-up attack. Up-B Up and diagonally right and down, and you WILL edge-cancel. Only works under 100%, because the >100% get-ups makes Pikachu end up at a slightly different position.
Dreamland 4
On the upper platform, roll to the left as far as you can, then walk a bit to the right, and then upB left and then down, and you will hang on the edge, canceling your upB lag. Works for keyboard and all controllers I guess. This does not work on the right side as after upBing down, pika faces right.

Dreamland 5
On the left platform, stand in the middle of the platform, then upB to the left and then diagonally right-down, and you will hang on the edge, canceling your upB lag. Works for keyboard and all controllers I guess. The same trick works on the right side of Dreamland, for that you have to start in the middle of the right platform.

Kongo Jungle 1
On the left not-moving platform, stand on the left part of the platform and upB down, and you will grab the ledge immediately. Does not work on the right because pika changes direction after upBing down. Should work with keyboard and controller

All stages 1
While standing on a platform, roll to the left as far as you can, then upB to the right and to the left, and you will edge-cancel your upB at the same place you started, canceling the lag. Also works on the right edge of a platform, but as far as I know this trick does not work on the main ground. Works with keyboard and all controllers I guess. This trick seems less useful to me than the others.

All stages 2
Hang on the left edge of a stage, press down, jump, and when you're just above the edge, upB down, and you will hang on the edge again, canceling your upB lag. Not sure if this works with controller, probably you have to upB diagonally rightdown instead of down. Basically this trick works the same as sheik's upB stall in melee.
On the right edge of a stage, you should hang on the edge, press down, jump, and when you're just above the edge, upB diagonally leftdown instead of just down, because upBing down makes pika look to the right.

All stages 3
Walk or run from the main ground of a stage, let's say on the left side, and then upB diagonally right-down, and you will hang on the edge immediately. This is one of the fastest ways to get to hang on the edge. Works on the right side too, with keyboard and controller. On the left side you can also just upB down after running/walking off the stage.

You can use these tricks to get to the edge quickly, to edgehog or edgeguard your opponent, to escape your opponent without having lag, or for whatever you can come up with. If you know more of these 'spots' where you can upB without lag, please post them here, or anything useful about upB. Oh and questions of course.

Clipping teleport glitch
3mmanu3lrc said:
There's something like pika going through some of the Hyrule's walls, I don't remember which/where it is exactly, but I'll make a vid when I do it again, it happened to me once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzB6uJwoepE#t=3m48s
Pikachu can sometimes go through the stage if some weird stuff happens near an edge. To me, it most often happens when upBing into the right edge of Dreamland. For a vid and discussion of this glitch, see http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295299 or http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244949

Double upB
theres also the double up B if you tilt down at 46, only seems to work for me on jabos input pluging and console but.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Note that Pikachu often automatically changes direction to the right after some keyboard inputs (upB up and upB down I guess), so some tricks are only possible with keyboard, while others (which I don't know yet) are only possible with controller because keyboard only has 8 directions.
Just to clarify pikachu also only faces to the right after upB up and UpB down on controller too. People using controller can test this by hanging on a ledge>ledge drop >upB vertically upwards then downwards.

You'll note that pikachu will only re-grab the ledge if he is on a left edge, but not a right edge (e.g: the left side of hyrule as opposed to the right.)

But I may be misinterpreting what you're saying when you say "Pikachu often automatically changes direction to the right after some keyboard inputs". Correct me if I did indeed misinterpret =)

Overall some really cool tips :).

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
There's something like pika going through some of the Hyrule's walls, I don't remember which/where it is exactly, but I'll make a vid when I do it again, it happened to me once.
Good stuff by the way.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Why do you assume Pikachu facing right after going up/down is keyboard exclusive? I don't think that's correct.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Okay I thought with controller pikachu kept facing the original way after upBing up or down, but apparantly that's not correct. I'll edit this in the first post. Thanks guys.

@3mmanu3lrc: yeah that happened to me many times on Dreamland. I'll see if I can find the thread and put it in the first post, even though it's not something useful as far as I know

ballin4life

Smash Hero
For Dreamland 3, the reason might be that landing lag is less when you are moving downwards in your upB as opposed to free falling downwards after your upB.

Compare Ness's down angled upB slide (very little lag) vs his free fall (TONS of lag).

That's just what came to mind.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
theres also the double up B if you tilt down at 46, only seems to work for me on jabos input pluging and console but.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Dreamland 3
On the main ground, roll to the left as far as you can, then upB up and then diagonally rightdown, and you will not edge-cancel your upB on the left platform, though you will have less lag than normal. Anyone knows why? Works on the right part of the stage too.
This is a similar technique: Grab the left ledge. Get up using a normal ledge get-up or a get-up attack. Up-B Up and diagonally right and down, and you WILL edge-cancel. Only works under 100%, because the >100% get-ups makes Pikachu end up at a slightly different position.

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
At about 1:50 in this TAS video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixk4sIqByAk
The pikachu does some up B shenanigans across the top platform. If anyone cares to analyze it and see if it's useful it could be added to the OP. Also something happens at 3:25. The rest of the video is not that interesting (as in it's the same thing over and over).

Off topic question - does setting damage to 50% and handicap really high make it harder to DI b/c of reduced hitstun?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
The first part of Up-B is angled up as per normal, then the second part is angled at a 46% degree angle (down, I guess). The game recognises this as the neutral position again, and will do another upwards quick attack, with Pika ending up facing right.

JoontheBaboon

Smash Rookie
The first part of Up-B is angled up as per normal, then the second part is angled at a 46% degree angle (down, I guess). The game recognises this as the neutral position again, and will do another upwards quick attack, with Pika ending up facing right.
I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with SSB terms. What does 46% degree angle mean? I noticed that Star King also said, ">100%". What does that mean?

JoontheBaboon

Smash Rookie
0% = stick neutral. 100% = stick press all the way in one direction. 46% = stick pressed a little less than halfway in one direction.

It's really hard to do the pikachu double upwards upB so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dbU1ysmUds
It's also almost useless, so it's pretty trivial regardless.
Oh ok. I thought it'd be cool to surprise my friend but if it's that difficult I'll stop trying lol.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
what i did to do it pretty well (%80 of the time when using jabo's) is hold my right thumb against the analog stick to prevent it from dropping further. also your analog stick has to be very accurate, mine usually gets stuck at 45 and 47 very easily.

Top Bottom