• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu refining needed!

Kenrawr

Smash Master
This is the most attention Kansas has ever received!

*runs further from Stealth*

This topic is slowly going more and more off topic xD Feed me some pika tips guys!

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Is this thread for discussing Kansas or the Pikachu videos in the first post?
Because if it's discussing Kansas it's going to be locked. <3

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
-is insanely confused about how you animated a png-
heaaaaadache. I thought it was impossible

Anyways i like your pikachu.
i need to start using QACs more in my matches, but wifi lags it so bad i usually end up killing myself with it. ):

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
k9 do you live anywhere near newportnews virgina? i visit there sometimes and i will probably go there this summer. Think you could show me a tourny?
There's a decent number of Smashers around Newport News for both Melee and Brawl [though considerably less for Melee during the summer since some of them are only in town for college]

I work in Newport News and live like 25-30 minutes away. Kadaj [SoVa's best at Brawl] lives 15 minutes away, though, but you'll have to travel to him or pick him up etc since he doesn't drive.

It's worth it.

Sorta on topic!

HELP ME!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222363

K-9, I'll watch yours later ^_^

Royale

Smash Journeyman
Yay, I'm no longer the only guy that uses Shiny Pikachu. :D

Also, I think you should use Up-Smash and F-Tilt more. Up Smash is a good kill move and combos well from the F-throws you like so much, and F-Tilt is a speedy substitute for F-Smash.
I find U-smash to also be incredibly quick to execute as well. Like Muhznit said, it does KO very nicely if kept fresh.

I think you should keep playing Wolf K-9. Dont ever get discouraged by chaingrabs. If you love the character you play never stop.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Thanks@Spelt

Posted on your thread posty =D

@Royale- The guy with the D3 avatar wants me to keep playing wolf rather than pikachu...hmmmmm....

Edit: lol I said posty -.-
Toasty***

toasty

Smash Hero
okay so I saw the match against Korn and the first match against Seb

Vs. Korn
1st stock = good times. It seemed like you have the same problem I have had many times though. You'll play really well and/or just plain intelligently and you'll gain a huge lead first stock...and the rest of the match it's almost like you forgot what you were doing the first stock that worked so well.

I don't know enough about Pika to notice anything else that stands out after just one viewing [esp since I saw that match hours ago] though I really liked your single angled QAC-reverse jolt. I find myself trying to gain too much ground and trying to use both parts of QA and ultimately have less control over what I'm trying to do. So yeah, it seems you're pretty focused with your movements for a good majority of the time. You're not just throwing **** out there.

Vs. Thumbs [first match]
I liked your use of boost grabbing a lot [unless his running grab really is that godly?], you're pretty precise, esp out of those autocanceled nairs.

I did find it funny though, you never seemed overly concerned with racking up damage or creating space with jolts...don't think you did QAC-jolt once in that whole match.

Oh actually your match made me think of something:
I find myself almost exclusively following up fair with utilt and most of that is because of watching a few Pika vids. While that's good for following up with combos, is that the best solution?

Not a critique, it's a real question.

Like, is it better to do fair-utilt at 0 damage instead of fair-dsmash? And if you don't cross-up with the fair and you land in front of them, should you just fair-jab[trip]-grab-CG/usmash?

I imagine the answer to the first question is "fair-utilt is better because you can follow up with uair and then bair or even more uairs or whatever" and that fair-dsmash should be saved for setups at a higher damage?

Anyway, I liked what you were doing. I'm probably going to steal that single QAC thing instead of trying to perfect the double one.

I think everyone else already addressed the obvious things [sideB recovery] but I'm too lazy to check through to see if they did or not...

edit: LOL @ posty

Kenrawr

Smash Master
I don't think Pikachu's dash grab range is that godly at all. Whenever I do a cross up nair/fair I just immediately run back at them and grab. But you have to be like right next to them since his grab range is horrible and I just miss and do the tumbley-stupidchu animation.

And back in the day I use to abuse the hell outta QAC and would get punished if I used it offensively so I just toned it down all together and played more simple and controlled. I see it works great for Anther's pika but I prefer this play style for myself. Also I don't like to spam tjolt in general. It's a moral issue. lol

Now whenever I fair and land in front of them usually I will try to grab. Not sure if I did it in those videos, though. Usually I'll do a utilt if I do a cross-up. I'll grab if I have the option to CG.

Also I would utilt after a fair at really low damage instead of dsmash. It just has way more options to follow up. idk if it's a true combo or anything though. (Some intelligent pika want to help me out? =x)

Also when I reviewed my playing several more times I realized that I got way too aggressive against Korn on my 2nd and 3rd stock and that pretty much led to my doom. I gotta learn when to switch gears at appropriate times. =x

I know I didn't answer all your questions in order. Sorry haha

toasty

Smash Hero
ahh I see (@ everything you said XD)

And I think I realized what I was thinking about Pika's grab and I kinda misspoke. It isn't so much that it's crazy long range [the dash grab], it's just that the range that it DOES cover? From my experience it's VERY fast and unless you already know Pika's trying to grab you, can't really react properly. If they do an attack, chances are you may even tank it and still get the grab [like...I tanked a tipped Marth dtilt and still grabbed him with the dash grab]

so yeah could be good for tech chasing [and I guess in Brawl it also extends to following someone's airdodging and just how they return to the stage]

I need to explore tripping with jab more...lots of possibilities if the tripping stuff is guaranteed with a well placed single jab [gahhh I really need to read these other Pika threads instead of babbling theory here haha, sorry everyone >_>]

also, I posted some new vids in my help thread [lol I actually WIN for once against his Wario...good to know the dsmash semi-spike at the edge from Melee still works]

Top Bottom