• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Pikachu Q&A Thread (Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer)

Soul.

We gotta figure out how to do it though >.<

Also, what moves combo out of quick attack?
I'll try doing that on Training mode.

You can follow up with uair after a Quick Attack. Last time I checked if you ledge cancel the move, you can follow up with Thunder. I think there was a .GIF showing Pikachu using QALC Thunder vs. Jigglypuff on the 3DS version.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
We gotta figure out how to do it though >.<

Also, what moves combo out of quick attack?
Quick Attack has decent knockback in this game. At most percentages it pops the opponent up into the air so any aerial can follow from it. This makes up for the lack of QAC on flat surfaces.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Never heard of this.
I suppose this gives Pikachu an option against whiffed edgeguards on the ground.
Yeah I been trying to do it but I always end up SD'ing or a normal up b to the stage I dunno if is extremely hard to pull off or I just suck xD

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Leaf stop beating yourself up, its sad reading it all the time. You play good, you can improve, just focus.

Also hi guys, I play smash4 now gonna drop by the Pika social every now and then.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'll probably dabble with Pikachu enough to use on a competitive level enough to warrent coming here. I don't plan to exclusively main anyone though.

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm gonna dump my Pika FG replays here because I don't see a video thread. I got wrecked most of the time, so any advice would be appreciated. You can see where I'm trying to implement QA approaches and foxtrots, but mostly I just scrub out and die.

EDIT: VIDEO REMOVED BECAUSE TOO LONG 4 YOUTUBE I GUESS

The last one with Villager is the one I need the most help with. I played him in a lot more games, and could never win.

Sorry for the bad quality!

Last edited:

Pwii

Smash Apprentice

Pikachutobal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-8141-2794
Hello everyone
I am pikachutobal, I Main Bowser / Lucario, but I want to start using a Pikachu as my new Main
I want to start using it because it's my favorite character in the history of Smash, besides having great potential
c:

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Ike, Shulk, Pikachu, and Lucina are who I'm messing around with atm.

I tried Little Mac but I love having an air game .-. Can't play this guy.
I have some Shulk experience. He is an intimidating fighter. Has a steep learning curve though, doesn't he?

American JEDI

Smash Cadet
Nothing new here guys, but it's definitely worth repeating...
  • Pikachu is an--all around--fast character.
  • Pikachu's fastest move is Quick Attack (also one of the fastest moves in the ENTIRE roster).
  • Taking full advantage, one should use QA as a means for traveling the stage as often as possible (boosting Pikachu's already speedy agenda).
  • Using QA a lot improves fluidity as one becomes well acquainted with the intricacies and parameters of the move.
  • Fluid, fast, and intentional movement "evolves" (no pun intended) into the mastery of exceptional mind games.
  • Mind games are--in my opinion--the bread and butter of EVERY fighting game (especially Smash Bros., which lends itself to the "freedom of movement" unlike any other fighter out there).
  • Meaning that we--Pikachu mains--have a wonderfully-crafted, speed machine at our disposal (which has all the potential of climbing to the top in this latest installment of the Smash Bros. franchise).
It's like my piano instructor always says: "repetition, Repetition, REPETITION!!!"
A solid QA game is key to any serious Pikachu main (safe move and tons of followup options).

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I have some Shulk experience. He is an intimidating fighter. Has a steep learning curve though, doesn't he?
The biggest learning curve with Shulk is using monado arts as second nature. Its just a lot of things to take in and sort out.

Also I'm enjoying Captain falcon, I might bump him up to want to use cause of how fun he is.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I'd like to point out that QA is not entirely safe, though it can be difficult to punish.
Like in previous installments, QA extends Pika's hitbox tremendously and can actually be countered by throwing out just about any large hitbox.
Regardless of that, QA is definitely better than it has ever been, in terms of offense. It's a combo starter, escape option, oos option, and arguablely the best recovery in the game in terms of versatility AND length.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I was one of the few Pikas back in the Brawl days that consistently incorporated offensive QA and QAC into his gameplay, so now that its offensive applications are extremely obvious I am absolutely in love with it.

Last edited:

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
I don't care what anyone says, I love pikachu's jab... If it had no utility in smash 4 and got nerfed from brawl, I probably would not main pikachu...
I love jab with a passion

Also speaking of quick attack, has anyone else here noticed that quick attacking to the ground from different angles changes the landing lag? I think it is pretty awesome
The diagonal angles with decent spacing have like no landing lag at all and if used to cross up a shield, it is almost completely nonpunishable

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Someone needs to post a PROPER PIKACHU GUIDE!!!
Like wth!? I know it's time consuming and all but please!!
I will make a pikachu guide once I win a big tournament in my region or feel satisfied with my knowledge of the character.

Like, the game is only a few months old and I don't want to make a guide, then find out something new the next day about pikachu. because of this being a new meta game, it is extremely easy to develop characters, so my guide will become outdated SUPER fast

Angiance

Smash Lord
When I use QA I feel as though I am traveling at the speed of light. Light is what light-sabers are made from. That means... Pikachu MUST BE Darth Vader's uncle!
Gtfo out of here u troll

@ Hoenn Hoenn
Basic Pikachu guide
Zone with Fair/Dtilt
Go nutz with the tail attacks once you get in (Nair included)
Find the opportunity for a Usmash, Nair stagespike/KO/Gimp, or Thunder KO

ROCK IT!

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I don't care what anyone says, I love pikachu's jab... If it had no utility in smash 4 and got nerfed from brawl, I probably would not main pikachu...
I love jab with a passion

Also speaking of quick attack, has anyone else here noticed that quick attacking to the ground from different angles changes the landing lag? I think it is pretty awesome
The diagonal angles with decent spacing have like no landing lag at all and if used to cross up a shield, it is almost completely nonpunishable
I'm intrigued. How do you use jab? I often jab for too long and get punished, but I guess its speed can possibly be used combo break or lead into tilts.

I've kind of noticed the Quick Attack landing lag differences, though I'm not exactly sure which angles affect which yet. Doing it towards the ground seems to have less landing lag from what I've gathered, but I actually haven't been utilizing Quick Attack onstage much with Pikachu until recently so I need to test more.

Soul.

I'm intrigued. How do you use jab? I often jab for too long and get punished, but I guess its speed can possibly be used combo break or lead into tilts.

I've kind of noticed the Quick Attack landing lag differences, though I'm not exactly sure which angles affect which yet. Doing it towards the ground seems to have less landing lag from what I've gathered, but I actually haven't been utilizing Quick Attack onstage much with Pikachu until recently so I need to test more.
You use jab when you jab lock your opponent, then follow up with fsmash.
Quick Attack has less lag on the ground. Has more in the air though.
And yeah it's flashy this time.

Korsario

Smash Rookie
Hey, just in case, my NNID is Korsario, if anyone is willing to add me and help me improve my Pikachu/Game in general I would really appreciate it.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Leaf stop beating yourself up, its sad reading it all the time. You play good, you can improve, just focus.

Also hi guys, I play smash4 now gonna drop by the Pika social every now and then.
Hi Ussi
<3 It could have been better, but I'm the best anyway.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Seriously, I gotta post something already. Face fears and such.

@ Ussi Ussi Sup homie. Pardon the delayed hello.
@ Angiance Angiance Worth including QA for mobility and jolt (preferably full-hop) to harass?
@ Hoenn Hoenn I agree that it'll be outdated quickly, but I don't feel that should be cause for delay. Better strategies will develop regardless, but their progress will be slowed if we don't have that info source to draw from. There should be enough bread and butter around now for a guide v0.5. At least I'd think. I'll defer to judgement of better players here.
@ K Korsario Welcome aboard.
@ Leaf. Leaf. Get gud place 6th. Nah but seriously keep kicking ass.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Fair dat. All looked like good stuff to me.

Here's a question. What's our current state of GOING DEEP for gimps, and how could one train and improve on that?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Really? I would've thought it viable against some of the more predictable, non-damaging recoveries.
Not that there's a ton of those.

Last edited:

Soul.

BAir could drag characters down in 1.0.3/4 but I'm not sure if it does in 1.0.5.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Isn't the mechanic dragging them down as the one that normally drags them in, with extra fast fall? That's what I always took it to be.

If it is, as long as bair still drags in, it should still drag down, unless the amount it drags in got nerf'd. Theoretically.

Top Bottom