• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Gets a 50/50: New Tech for Covering Up-Throw Thunder DI

Felth

Smash Apprentice
Noro~ Noro~ I use the inputs (:GCR:->:GCL:->:GCY:->:GCD:+:GCB:). It's the same?
At least now I can do the correct technique 30 times consecutively without mistakes. Nevertheless I want to know what I'm doing in the case of a mistake. I think that if I pivot too fast then Pikachu does not stop to get the thunder hit.

Noro~

Smash Cadet
Personally, I recommend this:
:GCL: > :GCY: > :GCDR: + :GCB: (buffered during jumpsquat, canceling most of your momentum)

Looking at your fourth attempt in that video, it seems that your actual inputs for that attempt looked something like this:
:GCL: > :GCY: > :GCR: > :GCD: + :GCB:
Slow down the video and you will notice that Pikachu starts running, jumps, then, a few frames after his jumpsquat, turns arround using the thunder while keeping his momentum.

To me, it looks like your mistake is that you tend to do
:GCL: > :GCY: > :GCR: > ... instead of :GCL: > :GCR: > :GCY: >...

Felth

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I recommend this:
:GCL: > :GCY: > :GCDR: + :GCB: (buffered during jumpsquat, canceling most of your momentum)

Looking at your fourth attempt in that video, it seems that your actual inputs for that attempt looked something like this:
:GCL: > :GCY: > :GCR: > :GCD: + :GCB:
Slow down the video and you will notice that Pikachu starts running, jumps, then, a few frames after his jumpsquat, turns arround using the thunder while keeping his momentum.

To me, it looks like your mistake is that you tend to do
:GCL: > :GCY: > :GCR: > ... instead of :GCL: > :GCR: > :GCY: >...
You are right I'm doing :GCL: > :GCY: > :GCR: > but now I'm being very consistent with this method so this is another way to do it. Now I'm being perfectly consistent with the technique, Thanks =)

Last edited:

Felth

Smash Apprentice
One last question: There are some frames in which we can delay our move to see the DI instead of guessing it? Maybe this could happen on specific characters that have more hitstun or delay I don't know, or maybe in some percents it's possible. It's an open question for the moment.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
you can do it with both sets of inputs. I use the same inputs as you said Felth Felth . The problem is the same, you are probably doing it too slow. Keep practicing. You'll get it

Also, yes, it is possible to react to the opponent's DI and still true combo a thunder. You must be very fast. It will require a lot of practice though. And since AI's do not DI randomly in this game, you will need someone to DI randomly for you so that you can practice this. I personally just try it in game, and I get it sometimes, but miss other times. My reactions are already trained a bit from tech chase practice on 20xx for melee though. It will be fairly hard to do this consistently without any practice on reacting to DI then doing the inputs to combo the thunder

Last edited:
Top Bottom