• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Down Throw

TGAP37

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm trying to learn pikachu and I use down throw to up smash as my most common finisher but I was wondering if it was possible for someone to tech pikachu's down throw? none of my friends tech (they play casually) so I was wondering if it would still work against players who tech? also any general pikachu tips would be nice

N64

Smash Champion
Downthrow is very techable, yes. The only characters that have to tech it are fast fallers and mid-floatiness characters (i.e. shiek, mario, etc.) at low percent, others will just jump out before hitting the ground. The throw is also slow enough that it's relatively easy for competent players to tech it. If they tech in place, you can still get a usmash if you wait slightly (for their tech invulnerability to fade). If they techroll, however, you probably will be unable to directly punish, as pikachu likely won't recover quick enough from the throw animation to dash->usmash before the opponent can shield.

Downthrow isn't guaranteed to lead to anything against competent players, but it's still an ok option if you're confident in reading your opponent. The main reason you don't see pikachus use downthrow often is because uthrow and bthrow are really good at getting guaranteed damage or positional advantage, and are thus more often used.

Welcome to the pika forums! If you're relatively new to competative melee, feel free to read my guide further down in the forum, and/or check out the Ask About Pikachu thread as it has a wealth of useful pikachu information. Also feel free to ask us anything else that you're curious about!

Wreck_94

Smash Rookie
There are entirely applicable situations for dthrow. More or less effectively for floaty characters like peach or puff. Dependent on percentage and DI, dthrow can be a good mixup that will pop up floaty characters to lead into a nair or other aerials.

Top Bottom