• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Controller Configuration

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Okay, I picked up Pikachu recently and I'm trying to learn the easiest way to QAC. I can do the basic things with Pikachu fairly well, but this tech seems to be harder with the default button config. I just want to know how some of you have your controllers set. (:

gallax

Smash Hero
you shoudl really check the threads before you post something. there is already a thread with almost(if not) the same exact title as you and same question.

tap jump of seem to make it easy to QAC and i have L set to grab.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Ahh...Sorry about that. x_x
It's late and I wasn't thinking. I'll look that up.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Dude? o_O

I'm a girl. ^^;;
And I'll look that thread up. Thanks again.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Ok. There used to be another thread about controller configuration, but I cannot find it anymore so I am just gonna post on this thread.

My current controller config has tap jump off (easier up tilts), x to grab (easier for me to cg), and r to jump (for my Wolf 0lag fair. I don't use it for Pika). I was just curious to see what other Pika mains had their configurations set to.

Also, when I qac chain I stay really low to the ground. I noticed that some you guys put a little distance between yourself and the ground when you chain. Is that a result of tap being set to on, or is it something entirely different?

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I use a Classic Controller with Tap Jump turned off. This way, my Right thumb can easily slide between Y and B-the two buttons I need most for my QACs.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
Bear? I think the thing there is the timing in which you press up+b again after you jump, the faster you press it, the lower to the ground you will be...but for controller setup, I have a similar setup to Gallax, with tap jump off on GCN controller since I got used to it on melee. However, I would be interested in learning to use the wii-mote, if anyone had suggestions for setup on that or uses or something lol

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Bear? I think the thing there is the timing in which you press up+b again after you jump, the faster you press it, the lower to the ground you will be...but for controller setup, I have a similar setup to Gallax, with tap jump off on GCN controller since I got used to it on melee. However, I would be interested in learning to use the wii-mote, if anyone had suggestions for setup on that or uses or something lol
When it comes to coming off the ground, that only happens when tap jump is on. so when you try a consecutive QAC, if you arent fast enough, you jump, then QAC, which is the rising off of the ground part. once i turned off tap jump it has never happened to me again.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
I use the wiimote( without the nunchuck) because of..... well, money issues LOL.... its not that hard to get used to it, its just that you cant have tap jump off, because the only jumping button is up, but anyway, i find it easy to perform tilts (a lot more than with the gamecube controler) Also, dont forget to change 1 to normal attack and 2 to special attack, the default just feels... weird, also, chaingrabbing can be an issue, because the grab button is the "minus", and i havent found a better one...LOL, but its easy shield-1 for grabs, and once you get ussed to it you will chaingrab normally, and finally, its just veryyyyy hard to QAc with the wiimote, but the general controls are easy to learn if you have played smash 64 on your pc. Sorry if you asked for the wiimote + nunchuck combo....LOL

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
wow sounds complicated, not only for pika but if i want to play any other chars. too it would seem harder still! I think ill just stick with gamecube lol but thanks for the input PT :)

Van Jones

Smash Lord
When it comes to coming off the ground, that only happens when tap jump is on. so when you try a consecutive QAC, if you arent fast enough, you jump, then QAC, which is the rising off of the ground part. once i turned off tap jump it has never happened to me again.
That is what I thought. Thanks for the comformation. I'm pretty sure that I am gonna keep my current config. I've been using everything but R for jump since melee days.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
You are wellcome Piman,i like to share my wiimote experience :p.... about that.... in some days i will be back to the gamecube controller!!!! :D.... but, dont you think the gamecube controllers are kinda too sensibles to perform tilts????.... about tap jump, ill pay it on, im used to it, and its easier to do some stuff like running usmash or usmash or upb out of shield

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Gamecube controllers these days are demonstrating a NASTY habit of breaking down on me after a while. Button input fails to register, Control Sticks get screwed over... I've gone through about 6 controllers already. My last and 7th one is my Wavebird controller. I am hesitating in using it, though.

The classic controller, however, has worked like a charm since I got it. It's an orgasm in controller form!

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
How do you mod one? i've wanted to do that, or i want a white one from japan or w/e but im clueless...also does anyone know what "tl:dr" means?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Well, the other Ice Climbers video thread was barely updated, so here's a brand new one. :o This video thread will have the better Ice Climbers players' videos at the top, a hall of fame video every month or so, and regular videos. This will help people find videos of a good Ice Climbers player right away. Taking videos as of March, 2009

lain
#1 Ice Climbers player in the nation

Taking this right from his video thread:

Mar. 7th Lucario is Pawsome! MWC East Event #1

2nd/49

Winner's Finals
lain :dedede: vs Alphazealot :diddy:
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3
Match 4

Grand Finals
lain :dedede: :popo: vs Ally :snake:
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3
Match 4
Match 5

Match 1
Match 2
Match 3
Match 4
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mar. 22nd FBT6

1st/65

Winner's Quarters
lain :dedede: vs Tapion :snake:
Match 1
Match 2

Winner's Semis
lain :dedede: :marth: vs Ook :dk2:
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apr. 25 Clash of Brokenness 4!

1st/44

lain :dedede: vs Hunger :wario: :snake:
Full set

lain :popo: :dedede: vs Judge :metaknight:
SET 1
Match 1 - 4
Match 5

Set 2
Match 1 + 2
Match 3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apr. 9-10 APEX

3rd/230

lain vs Dojo 1&2 to come!

lain :popo: :dedede: vs Dojo :metaknight:
Match 3

lain :popo: vs NinjaLink :rob:
Match 1
Match 2

lain :popo: :dedede: vs Mew2King :metaknight:
Match 1
Match 2
Match3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 30 Clash of Brokenness V!
1st/39

lain :popo: :dedede: :metaknight: vs Judge :metaknight:
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3
Match 4
Match 5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 13th West Bloomfield 3

1st/53
Sorry guys, I really ****ed up my cg's here. I'm surprised I still won =_=

lain :popo: vs Anther :pikachu: :popo:

**DISCLAIMER**The commentary is really yuck. Pretty much every single thing the announcers took note of/commented on was wrong. They have no idea what they are talking about.

meepxzero
Meep videos are hard to find... ;-;

March:
Meep :popo: vs. Candy :snake:
Meep :popo: vs. Neo :marth:
Meep :popo: vs. NinjaLink :rob: 1
Meep :popo: vs. NinjaLink :rob: 2
Meep :popo: vs. NinjaLink :rob: 3

Meep :popo: vs. AlphaZealot :diddy: 1
Meep :popo: vs. AlphaZealot :diddy: 2
Meep :popo: vs. AlphaZealot :diddy: 3

Ambrose
Climbs ice in Canada
May:
Ambrose :popo: vs. Toronto Joe :metaknight: 1
Ambrose :popo: vs. Toronto Joe :metaknight: 2
Actually, this dude has a lot of videos. >_> He'll have to give me the rest or something, lol.

KawaiiBunny!
Worst of the worst. By far.
April
Kawaii Bunny :popo: vs. Fino :olimar: 1

Kawaii Bunny :popo: vs Fino :olimar: 2

Kawaii Bunny :popo: vs. Fino :olimar: 3

Kawaii Bunny :popo: vs Fino :olimar:4

Kawaii Bunny :popo: vs. Fino :olimar: 5

Well, those are the better ICs players that have videos from March. Not too many. Get more matches up, guys. There's like three others with matches from like January.

Everyone else, give me videos. :x Too many to look up, lol.

Hall of Fame Video:​

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/454NGVYPatU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/454NGVYPatU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

kamikaen

Smash Rookie
For the purpose of QACing, I have found that changing my C stick to do specials works for me. While not really doing anything for QAC-Jump combinations, it's awesome for doing QAC-QAC combinations (stuff like the QAC lock, etc.), because you don't have to constantly mash your D-stick (or whatever the main analog stick is called ~_~) at +1 priority speeds. It's also nice, because if you mistime, and buffer a QA with your B-stick before Pikachu is actually in the "floaty position", ready for a QA cancel, you'll get a jump instead of just lagging.

I also like B-sticking with Pikachu so I can do things like stop sliding when I do a dash-thunder (nice for those high flying kills sometimes, also unexpected compared to jump>jump>vB, or just a sliding Thunder) via wavebouncing the Thunder on the ground. And I'd also like to say that having tap jump on isn't necessary, and harms more than it helps (imho). You can just mash the jump button, and simple jumps aren't that hard to time out of a QAC anyway.

I also have R set to jump, and X/Y set to grab (I only use L for shield anyway, and it's nice to be able to jump then immediately do aerials instead of moving my fingers like a... like a Brawl master). I use the classic controller, but it's similar enough to GC (I don't do this out of preference, my GC controller was worn out and I couldn't find a new one. I have to say it's ok, and the left analog stick is in a better position, but it's unfortunately smaller, and big fingers mess up when you're trying to go to the right while wavebouncing a Thunder). I'd also like to hear some other people's controller configurations, not just for QACing, but for playing with Pikachu in general.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Piman: You have to have a triwing screwdriver or and really small screwdriver to mod. All you do is replace the casing with whatever other casing that you want. It is pretty easy.

Bunny: Hey, I was just curious.

Kamikaen: Yeah, I remember a discussion a while ago about changing c to specials. I ended up choosing not to switch because I use the c-stick for aerials and smashes. Also, QAC can be learned with the b button. It just takes a little while to master.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Default with tap jump off.Although im thinking of changing Z to attack and L to grab.(May be)

I got a new controller but my old one is still good although its been at a friends house for ages now(except the rubber on the analog and c stick has been worn away)I use the old one for tournaments.Im surprized it still works since Ive had it since the day the GC came out.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I use GC with L for attack (Sliding up-smash with yoshi) x to shield (easier than pressing down R all the way) and C-stick for attack (non-fast falled dairs.

Top Bottom