• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Sorry for the late response. This MU is at worst even. G&W isn't as safe as he seems. Most G&W players fall into predictable patterns. I recommend not using QAC too much here. Punish a thoughtless Up B with your down B. Punish poorly spaced bairs with aerials or a grab when they land. I believe your f-smash outranges his d-tilt so learn the range of his d-tilt. G&W's dair can be stutter step f-smashed or air dodged if you are quick, allowing you to punish it. Do not try shielding it; it will push you similar to TL's dair. You can do some basic throw combos like usual but not CG him. If he grabs you he'll likely d-throw so tech it and roll away. The obvious advice but worth mentioning is that he will bucket your jolts and thunder. Occasionally you may want to coerce him into bucketing a jolt to help you approach. That is all I can remember about the MU for now.

HoldeN HoT FiyA

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of matchups, what in the world do we do against Sonic? Pretty much from what I'm reading he has terrible range, landing options, none of his moves are safe on block, and you can supposedly knock him out of his side b really easily. Now I've only ever played one Sonic and he's REALLY good (probably the second best player in Louisiana imo) so he's definitely better than me, but I still have no matchup knowledge. It's hard to land a grab because he's flying around everywhere and I just get bodied... Anyone have any Sonic MU xp?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Is forward tilt ever better than down tilt? If so, when?
I use forward tilt a lot when I am in range. It is great after a spaced fair and it has more knockback than d tilt. It can be a quick retaliation move against aggressive foes.
Speaking of matchups, what in the world do we do against Sonic? Pretty much from what I'm reading he has terrible range, landing options, none of his moves are safe on block, and you can supposedly knock him out of his side b really easily. Now I've only ever played one Sonic and he's REALLY good (probably the second best player in Louisiana imo) so he's definitely better than me, but I still have no matchup knowledge. It's hard to land a grab because he's flying around everywhere and I just get bodied... Anyone have any Sonic MU xp?
I've learned to fight Sonic over time even though they are not seen too often. If you try to meet them high in the air, you'll probably lose. Try to stick close to the ground, the highest being a short hop distance from the ground in order to thwart their attacks. If they try to come in from above, hit him with a u tilt or uair or if horizontally then fair will work well. You just have to react quickly. It's something I've learned to do.

SiriusPika

Smash Rookie
Hi. I'm a novice Pikachu player, so sorry for the dumb question. But how do you thunder off stage and then return safely? Like in this video at 2:19 and 2:40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhwg8Q1I_SI

Every time I try that, I just continue to fall down and die. The recovery at 2:12 is inasne too. How is that possible? To go all the way from one side of the stage to the other side under it.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Hi. I'm a novice Pikachu player, so sorry for the dumb question. But how do you thunder off stage and then return safely? Like in this video at 2:19 and 2:40:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhwg8Q1I_SI

Every time I try that, I just continue to fall down and die. The recovery at 2:12 is inasne too. How is that possible? To go all the way from one side of the stage to the other side under it.
At 2:12, it went skull bash > second jump > Up B. Pikachu and certain other characters can go underneath certain stages safely. At 2:19, Pikachu doesn't fast fall with thunder so that's easy. At 2:40, Pikachu uses the second jump and during the ascent uses thunder. Using thunder at that timing doesn't cause you to fast fall because you can't cancel the jumping animation.

SiriusPika

Smash Rookie
Hmmm...every time I try to do thunder after the second jump, I still fast fall. Am I just not timing it right?

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
@ESAM ***** we've had this conversation about priority before. I know how it works and I know what I ment when I say he literaly out prioritizes me. His hitboxes overlap mine, don't clank, and he hits me. I'm just scared to go in because when I do, we ALWAYS trade with me taking a dair or fair to the face and him getting off with a semi stale nair from me
I really can't say the ghetto word for afrian american without it being censored?

Holden: Just throw moves out don't be scared. Most of that spin dash cancel stuff is just all bark and little bite. Watch Anther vs malcolm and Gunner vs Bman. I'll see if I can send you my MM with Bman. By the second match we were fighting on par (although I used to play Sonic so I knew about the MU). Also his kill moves are Bair (which Bman likes to stale), Fsmash, and Uair star KO shenanigines, just look out for those, DI and momentum cancel accordingly, and you'll be like me in my match with Bman and live to 202%

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Angling shields is one of the best things in the game. It makes you stay a lot safer than you think.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
It took me a long time before I discovered the utility of angling the shield. It prevents shield pokes. For Pikachu, the shield covers his whole body when fresh. When weakened, it is smaller so you may want to angle it.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I see Gunner always angling his shield up. He said that most characters pressure your shield from the top and it also helps strengthen our defence since our shield is the most weak it the game. He also told me that MK pressures more bellow and to and angle you shield down.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You are supposed to tilt your shield to WHEREVER the move is. NOrmally tornado is above you, but if they are poking from the sides you tilt it to the side. That's a big flaw a lot of people have against ZSS: They run up and try to shield her plasma whip and are accidentally tilting their shield forward so it hits you in the back of the neck on dat #Footdive status.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Hey Pikas. I was wondering, how do you perform Fthrow to buffered dash to Usmash? I've seen ESAM and Anther use it in matches before, but I've never been able to pull it off myself. I'm aware of the 10 frame window, but at what specific time during the animation should I buffer the dash?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You don't have to buffer the dash in most situations.

For the buffer timing, input the dash when Pikachu starts lowering his hind legs after he throws them off his back. Remember, if you hold forward you will walk since the dash gets overridden by the walk input~

M15t3R E

Smash Master
For the f-throw to u-smash I normally don't buffer it. Instead, I'll input dash (hitting a hard left or hard right) directly when the f-throw animation has finished.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Juggle him. He's very susceptible when in the air as nair isn't the fastest move (B-reverses can get tricky, but like...only 8bitman is good at them). You can go out and edgeguard if you are careful enough with his angles of attack, so make sure to attack above and in front, not just above. T-jolts help a lot when edgeguarding. Uh...don't get super aggressive on him because you will take his projectiles, and they are aggravating.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Actually, ROB isn't particularly vulnerable in the air unless you are directly below him. Even then, the Robot can defend himself in the air if you telegraph your attacks. Approaching him from the ground is worth trying to feel out his attack patterns. Just be careful with the fair combos since he can shieldgrab that. I play a mean ROB and I can attest to the frustration of opponents over the projectiles. But yeah, attacking fast and hard will win you the MU.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
How effective is shielding for pikachu? People say I shield to often which is why I get punished....

M15t3R E

Smash Master
How effective is shielding for pikachu? People say I shield to often which is why I get punished....
I think it's obvious to everyone that shielding is great for every character. It's not like air dodge which varies depending on the character. But there is a wrong way to shield. Always attempt to perfect shield when shielding and when you do so, immediately move on with your approach or attack.

FourStar

Smash Ace
ok so i went to japan for nine days in the kansai area which is extremely talented. but i swear they have no clue how to play against pikachu. i swear they had a hard time playing me. now i'm no top pro or anything but i pulled out off a lot of wins against pretty good player. just wanted to share that :p

NETOmx

Smash Apprentice
Juggle him. He's very susceptible when in the air as nair isn't the fastest move (B-reverses can get tricky, but like...only 8bitman is good at them). You can go out and edgeguard if you are careful enough with his angles of attack, so make sure to attack above and in front, not just above. T-jolts help a lot when edgeguarding. Uh...don't get super aggressive on him because you will take his projectiles, and they are aggravating.
Then his worst weakness against pikachu is when he is in the air?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Don't expect ROB to jump high into the air willingly. And remember that his side B can reflect thunder.
ok so i went to japan for nine days in the kansai area which is extremely talented. but i swear they have no clue how to play against pikachu. i swear they had a hard time playing me. now i'm no top pro or anything but i pulled out off a lot of wins against pretty good player. just wanted to share that :p
Hey, I believe it. Pikachu is pretty much extinct from the Japanese metagame, though not totally. They are pretty flooded with Metaknights like we are. You are so fortunate to have spent time in Japan. I'm jealous.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Verrry agrivating. ESAM have you played Chibo?

Nope, he's not terribly good though so it doesn't matter. He isn't CLOSE to the best ROB at this point...

Actually, ROB isn't particularly vulnerable in the air unless you are directly below him. Even then, the Robot can defend himself in the air if you telegraph your attacks. Approaching him from the ground is worth trying to feel out his attack patterns. Just be careful with the fair combos since he can shieldgrab that. I play a mean ROB and I can attest to the frustration of opponents over the projectiles. But yeah, attacking fast and hard will win you the MU.

You are actually 100% wrong. ROB is VERY vulnerable in the air, what the hell? As long as you look out for nair and bair fastfalls...that's about all he has. EVERYBODY can defend themselves in the air if you telegraph attacks, that doesn't mean the character has strengths in the air. He doesn't have tornado or a really good fast hitbox or something to get him out of the situation.

DON'T approach on the ground really, his projectiles and tilts are pretty good at keeping Pikachu out. T-jolts and QA in are pretty good in this MU considering ROB doesn't have fast hitboxes in the up-forward corner of his body (sans up angled f-tilt) so QAing in that area is good.
FAIR COMBOS ARE NEVER A THING I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE TALK ABOUT THEM! PEOPLE HAVE TO BE SO BAD TO GET HIT BY THEM OR HAVE NO JUMP!

You can't be too reckless against ROB because you will run into a BUNCH of projectiles and tilts, you have to be patient and be ready to shield or go in at any moment...

Shielding is broken. Best option in the game. HABITS of anything are bad, which is what they are talking about. If you have a HABIT of shielding in certain situations, people will grab you for it or read your shield option (Sidestep, roll, jump/attack OOS).

Yes. Yes it is. Uair is SO good in the MU and it is really hard for ROB to get passed it considering it is a fairly big and fast hitbox that then combos into another uair and we can reset to the ground and continue juggling.

Don't expect ROB to jump high into the air willingly. And remember that his side B can reflect thunder.
No ****, nobody really full hops willingly unless they are doing something like throwing a grenade or T-jolting. Nobody just jumps to jump, short hops are always better in those situations. It's really easy to get rob in the air though with f-throw u-smash, dair to dash grab d-throw, uairs by themself, and ledge pressure.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You are actually 100% wrong. ROB is VERY vulnerable in the air, what the hell?
DON'T approach on the ground really, his projectiles and tilts are pretty good at keeping Pikachu out.
No need to get riled up. I play ROB in casual matches (pretty sure better than Chibo's ROB). I know his options. I am not denying that ROB is vulnerable in the air. When opponents chase me in the air I see it a mile away and nair hits more often than you'd think. His fair also comes out pretty quickly, often allowing for a chain of 2-3. On the ground, his projectiles are predictable and you have time and cues for you to respond to them. But it's the same ground or air since he can curve the laser.
So, you don't use fair combos? At high percents I often kill with a spaced FF fair to f-smash.

TxB | Ramsaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Ramsaur
I was about to complain about R.O.B.'s Dsmash but then I remembered that I just don't SDI fast enough. So can we juggle R.O.B. or not? ESAM said that M15t3r E is over estimating Nair, and M15t3r E said that he's underestimating it. I trust ESAM's word over anyone else's but Kprime do you have anything to say about it?

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Chibo is like, 4th or 5th best ROB? I wouldn't have said that if I haven't seen his gameplay.
Yeah he's not the best but he's still good. You can't go saying your ROB is better when you only casually play him and don't even enter tournaments.

I was about to complain about R.O.B.'s Dsmash but then I remembered that I just don't SDI fast enough. So can we juggle R.O.B. or not? ESAM said that M15t3r E is over estimating Nair, and M15t3r E said that he's underestimating it. I trust ESAM's word over anyone else's but Kprime do you have anything to say about it?
I don't play too many ROB's. I'd just go with what ESAM says.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I think playing at least one good ROB counts, which ESAM has. So I trust his opinions on the match-up more than someone who doesn't even main ROB.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I think playing at least one good ROB counts, which ESAM has. So I trust his opinions on the match-up more than someone who doesn't even main ROB.
ESAM mains ROB? ...
ESAM has played Stingers. Against Pikachu, ROB is pretty helpless in the air. Against slower characters, ROB isn't nearly as helpless in the air. That's what I have found playing as ROB. I think that's where the disconnect is between us.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
psht.
i invented the b reversal.
see me by the docks *****.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
ESAM mains ROB? ...
ESAM has played Stingers. Against Pikachu, ROB is pretty helpless in the air. Against slower characters, ROB isn't nearly as helpless in the air. That's what I have found playing as ROB. I think that's where the disconnect is between us.

Pikachu is fast, therefore ROB is fairly helpless in the air. That and edge pressure is where you should be getting the majority of your damage.

psht.
i invented the b reversal.
see me by the docks *****.

The Dire Dire Docks?

Top Bottom