• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Well wouldn't you agree that sub terms specify things; alot less confusing, no? Also, do any of y'all know of any visual hitbox data for our attacks? :)
Yes, they do, but you can't try to correct someone by creating a sub term of your own because that pretty much classifies it as incorrect considering the term isn't real =o
There should be a couple in the pika forums.
Oh, Bell! I like your remixes ^^

Angiance

Smash Lord
Oh no, it's a term that's been used by others before. What could be considered our most flexible attack? Ah, two of those're my own original songs, but thanks pika. It's fun to arrange songs into a different style, and we should allllll learn it~ :3

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Well, yeah, it's probably been used by others, but regardless it isn't official or anything.
I think u-air is the most flexible. It pseudo-spikes, strings, racks damage, juggles well, and it leads into guaranteed footstools.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Yeah, U-Air's pretty sweet; most stylish attack? I think so :3 My favorite attack is our tail sweep (D-Tilt), anybody else?

Angiance

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, B-Air's as effective as it is cute, and everybody knows it's so-so kwooot~ | Look up "Bell Pikachu Brawl" on YT, Ookami, it'll be old matches with me in'em, but eh...I've still gotta watch your other match. D'you plan on uploading anymore? :3

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, B-Air's as effective as it is cute, and everybody knows it's so-so kwooot~ | Look up "Bell Pikachu Brawl" on YT, Ookami, it'll be old matches with me in'em, but eh...I've still gotta watch your other match. D'you plan on uploading anymore? :3
Wifi matches? =o And yus, Pika is so cute -w- I want to reach to the screen and pinch his little cheeks after destroying my opponents XD
And I'm planning to put up some more matches but my local friend has all the equipment for putting stuff up, haha. We will upload frequently and I might even start live streaming =I

I'll try and get some vids of my Pikachu up later :v

What uses does Dair have ?

Did you want critique?
d-air is a great approach option, a great move when baiting air dodges, and an amazing out of shield option.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Somethin' important, practice ACing D-Air. D-Air Usage ~ #1: SH D-Air; used for stringing, beats many grounded attacks ~ #2: Landing D-Air: if we're close enough to the ground, and getting beat up, we can spam D-Air hoping for the ground hitbox to knock the opponent away. I'll watch both of your vidz! o^ - ^o

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Somethin' important, practice ACing D-Air. D-Air Usage ~ #1: SH D-Air; used for stringing, beats many grounded attacks ~ #2: Landing D-Air: if we're close enough to the ground, and getting beat up, we can spam D-Air hoping for the ground hitbox to knock the opponent away. I'll watch both of your vidz! o^ - ^o
Sounds good! I really appreciate it!

PZ

Smash Lord
@Mr. Pikachu
My little bit input on the wario and yoshi matchups:
Pika vs Wario: Fair and uair to zone him out in the air. Dtilt and boost pivot grabs for ground spacing. I say boost pivot grabs because it is really good at catching most of wario's approaches. O yeah don't ever be above wario...uair hurts alot and we are generally weak from below in this mu.

Pika vs yoshi: Perfect shielding eggs does not help much in this matchup since you have to block two parts of the egg (The egg being a projectile and the explosion after you perfect shield). Its weird how egg acts on shield but perfect shielding is almost no different from shielding regularly, just make sure you do not get hit by the egg. Aside from that, its already been mentioned of what you should be doing in the matchup. O and if it helps you could actually avoid the jab combos with appropriate DI such as Ding upwards or into yoshi can avoid the second hit. Good yoshi's don't really rely on the whole dash attack, dash grab, double jab combo game though so beware of jab canceling and safer decisions by the yoshi.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Very nicely said, PZ! Boost Pivot Grab (can we call it BPG?) is so effective, and stylish at the same time. I know we can catch Jigglypuff's charged Rollout with BPG, but is there anything else crazy we can do? Anyone?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Anyone can standing grab Jigglypuff out of rollout, and in my experience, everytime I've powershielded egg toss, I've never been hit by the second hit of it.

PZ

Smash Lord
Anyone can standing grab Jigglypuff out of rollout, and in my experience, everytime I've powershielded egg toss, I've never been hit by the second hit of it.
Have you tried to PSC the egg toss into an action. I think that is the only time I ever get hit is when I perfect shield and immediately try to do something afterwards. Boost pivot grab is my mobility as fox or falco...pretty hilarious doing it right after each other.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Yeah, every character gets grab armor, what's it 2 or 3 frames of grab armor? Can't remember...
You don't need grab armour to grab Rollout.
And if you ps the eggs toss, you can dash without getting hit by the second part.

Thor

Smash Champion
To go back (like 3 pages or something), Angiance, a tomahawk is where you short hop at someone and... land. It's a mixup that lets you get in grab range or tilt range (tilts way less common), which like I said was doing great for me where dash in and get grabbed (or try to time the spotdodge and still do stuff...), versus jump in and they're shielding so I can grab and get grabboxes out first. Maybe the term is wrong but this was a term I heard in a Melee vid where one commentator said "nice tomahawk" after a Jigglypuff got a grab and another was like "Wait what's a tomahawk?" and the first announcer called it an "empty hop - you jump and do no aerial or air dodge. Good for landing grabs, maybe a tilt or jab."

Also didn't know 1Pokemastr played Pikachu... maybe I should leave this thread...

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Visual hitbox=Debug mode? Going to a tournament. I really don't wanna lose beause that'll upset me as I am a really compettitive player. Anyways I need some questions to be answered! Characters that can reflect and absorb projectiles give me a hard time because about half of my metagame relies on making my opponent approach. How do you deal with them? What character should be my secopndary to counter a character that beats pikachu? Some players like to shieldgrab me sometimes and I have no idea how to deal with them since I attack them with fair and go all the way in for them to shieldgrab me. How do I avoid that and one last question. If your opponent is ahead a stock what should you do because I start panicing that they're going to get a lot of damage on me and I end up doing more smashes than needed to. And please tell me EVERYTHING about the sonic matchup. I actually go in and don't get mindgamed because I see that I can fair right through their spindash (or side/down B), but I'm not sure if it's a safe idea.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Yes, well, losing only makes us stronger, but uh...against opponent's that can reflect/absorb, well, I prefer aggresive, close combat, and rely on my tail 95% of the time , so all I've got is, go offensive. A good secondary would, of course, be someone that fills in our negatives, our negatives being: poor range, difficulty KOing, small shield, and low weight. Someone who fills in these negatives would be Marth, Snake, or Falco. For the shield grabby thing, try to space to the VERY TIP of SH F-Air, or SH F-Air through to the other side so they at least can't grab. When a stock is down, us throwing smashes out is what the enemy loves, cause they consider it free punishes; remember, we have SH N-Air, U-Tilt from the front, and fresh upwards angled F-Tilt at 160%, very quick KO options-but it's important to NEVER tunnel vision an action, as it'll get us eating loads of damage. The most important thing when in panic, is to go extremely defensive, and allow the mind to mentally heal; we're FAST, and can run.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Visual hitbox=Debug mode? Going to a tournament. I really don't wanna lose beause that'll upset me as I am a really compettitive player. Anyways I need some questions to be answered! Characters that can reflect and absorb projectiles give me a hard time because about half of my metagame relies on making my opponent approach. How do you deal with them? What character should be my secopndary to counter a character that beats pikachu? Some players like to shieldgrab me sometimes and I have no idea how to deal with them since I attack them with fair and go all the way in for them to shieldgrab me. How do I avoid that and one last question. If your opponent is ahead a stock what should you do because I start panicing that they're going to get a lot of damage on me and I end up doing more smashes than needed to. And please tell me EVERYTHING about the sonic matchup. I actually go in and don't get mindgamed because I see that I can fair right through their spindash (or side/down B), but I'm not sure if it's a safe idea.
First of all, if you lose, don't get too upset. There are plenty of others and, in a tournament, you have to always expect the other player to be equal level or better than you.

Second, you could change your metagame a bit =o Do not rely on t-jolts so much in those match ups. Eventually, if they don't approach and they have the lead, you'll have to go in on them. It can't be helped!

Secondaries are super debatable. When I was having trouble, I picked up Peach and ICs. They help with match ups, ut that isn;t originally why I picked them up, haha. Find another character you like, though if your intent on picking someone who can win those match ups for you, you can consider snake, Falco, and you can never go wrong with MK.

If you go all way forward with f-air, you're going to get shield grabbed. You have to space it well and combine it with d-tilts, f-smash, and f-tilt to make your spacing game as good as it can be.

When someone is ahead a stock, play like you usually do, but 10% more safe. Try to rack up the stock quickly, but be as precise as usual and don't make obvious moves. I've seen too many players go for a million running u-smashes trying to wrap up someone's stock. Don't change your pace if you're down a stock; take your time and play the match up correctly ^^

And Bell, Falcos actually have a hard time wrapping up a stock on someone.

Angiance

Smash Lord
Now, while it's true that MK covers our negatives, it must be taken into consideration that MK is also the MOST widely understood MU (since there are so MANY MK users), so players'll KNOW how to deal with MK, just somethin' to think about. Against Sonic, he's mainly fake outs, and speed; focus on CONTROLLING THE AREA in this MU. Against Sonic's Spindash: SH D-Air, T-Jolt, and these take timing but stutter step F-Smash and F-Tilt. Counter Sonic's F-Smash: Spaced F-Smash, F-Tilt, sharply spaced D-Tilt. Sonic's got good aerials, so be careful in the air...actually, ask me some specific questions on Sonic.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Visual hitbox=Debug mode? Going to a tournament. I really don't wanna lose beause that'll upset me as I am a really compettitive player. Anyways I need some questions to be answered! Characters that can reflect and absorb projectiles give me a hard time because about half of my metagame relies on making my opponent approach. How do you deal with them?
Just be smart with your projectile usage, use it when you feel like they won't reflect/ absorb it, don't go off spamming it mindlessly. You can also just stand at the other side of the stage, and do nothing really, maybe keep yourself in a neutral position so you can react when they get impatient and run in. Zero Suits like to do that.

What character should be my secopndary to counter a character that beats pikachu?
The character's that give Pikachu a hard time are Icies/ Olimar/ Diddy/ Lucario/ Marth (Taken from V3) I think Snake/ Marth/ Icies pretty much cover them, but you only REALLY need to cover Olimar/ Icies since you can learn from the vids of Esam beating pretty Marth.

Some players like to shieldgrab me sometimes and I have no idea how to deal with them since I attack them with fair and go all the way in for them to shieldgrab me. How do I avoid that ?
If you approach with Fair, just retreat it if it's rising, falling fair isn't really the best approach, but don't always approach with Fair, mix it up.

and one last question. If your opponent is ahead a stock what should you do because I start panicing that they're going to get a lot of damage on me and I end up doing more smashes than needed to.
Just don't panic, play it safe, you have an 8 minute match, the kill will come to you, don't rush it or try to force it.

And please tell me EVERYTHING about the sonic matchup. I actually go in and don't get mindgamed because I see that I can fair right through their spindash (or side/down B), but I'm not sure if it's a safe idea.
Sonic is probably going to try to, get you, to chase him, which you don't need to do.. because Projectile. You can try reacting to the spindashes which can be pivot grabbed if you time it right, or attack it, you don't need to hide in your shield from spindash and uh.. Don't chase Sonic.

ALSO THOR.

Nah, stay. I'm just a pain in the ass to people sometimes :3
(I'm a *****)

Angiance

Smash Lord
Okay, sorry, but I have to put emphasis on what Poke said; -----DOOOON'T CHAAAAAASE SOOOOOOONIC-----, COOOONTROOOL THEEEE AREEEAAAAAA

Alright, Ookami, I watched that match of yours, here comes the criticism

#1: when your tail was turned towards the enemy, you were offensive, and that isn't a good choice because it'll get us punished since we lose loads of control

#2: You weren't using N-Air as much as you should be (like when G&W was directly on top of you while you were in-shield, that should've been OoS SH N-Air), it's sooooooo good

#3: Your spacing is...kinda bad, I'm just gonna be honest with you. Practice hitting/spacing with the VERY TIPS of our attacks

#4: Please...use SH D-Air more...there were so many moments for you to use it, I was practically begging to the screen, saying "USE SH D-AIR"

#5: um...why were you FHing so much? We do WAAAY better staying in SH range.

#6: when you were on the ledge, you kept dropping down then jumping up to U-Air, it's MUCH more effective to tilt back to drop off, U-Airing immediately afterwards (by pressing up on the C-Stick preferably). Drop down, then AJ an airdodge back onstage (aim to come on-stage as low to the ground as possible), very powerful technique.

#7: When the opponent is about to come down from a platform, focus on trapping the landing

#8: when G&W was having to come from the ledge, you could've edgeguarded better; use U-Tilt from the front, Charged F-Smash, SH D-air, U-Smash...

#9: You seemed to be playing around at this point in the matcy, but G&W was throwin' out looootsa smashes, why didn't you F-Smash him? You know it outrangea all of his smash es, no?

#10: when y'all were on the platform as it was offstage, you were gettin' your tail ripped off; just use drop through U-Air, and if you're wanting to AJ, then do it at the correct distance so that U-Air will hit through the platform from the tip of your tail, or AJ B-Air, making sure to avoid the landing lag by moving towards the edge.

Just tryin' to help, no hate please~

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Just tryin' to help, no hate please~
Though I appreciate your criticism, I think you speak a bit to freely at times =o

You have to realize that those are friendly matches between me and my brother and we're simply having a little bit of fun. A lot of the time you don't really word things like you're trying to help, but more like you're almost insulting. I'm not really asking for you to monitor my every action and I only mentioned my matches because you said you were interested in them. I'm looking for a lenient critique, rather than you try to teach me what I already know. A lot of what you said wasn't all that necessary; feel free to refrain from doing that again.

You told me to look up some matches of yours and when I did that, you don't really do much of anything you mentioned either. I don't know if it's the wifi or not, but your explanations regarding people's play style is sometimes a bit too detailed if you haven't actually played the match up all that. If you played a local G&W more often, you'd know that G&W his smashes outrange f-smash, other than u-smash. That's why he's one of our worst match ups; he has every tool to beat us and outranges us in almost every aspect.

My friend, I like you, really, I do, but please don't take every match we upload so seriously. It's four of us friends having fun on a YouTube channel playing some casuals and uploading what we feel like uploading. I don't need you criticize my spacing or decisions if they work in my favor in the end. I apologize if I seem immensely bothered by everything you've said because I know that indeed asked for a critique and I still appreciate any time you put into it.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
Well mostly on the sonic match-up, I feel pressured with the amount of speed sonic has. He can run to one end to th other on final destination in like 3 seconds! (Exaggeration), but he's everywhere and the spindahses is where it all starts, it's mainly where sonic gets the kills with the bairs, uairs and the spring is what bothers me the most. Although the spring is the dumbest hitbox in the game to me, it gets in the way of ALOT of things. Sometimes sonic's in the air and I go under and try to uair him, AND HE DOES AN UP-B followed with a timed dair that when he gets back on ground, Im close to him that I think I can punish, but the dair is already over allowing him to PS and then punish. Also I don't know how many times I've been stage spiked with the spring trying to recover from sonic doing falling bair when he gets impetient and me wondering what to do off of the ledge and I try to tech it, but it's really unexpected for me. So all I really need help with is the spring, spindashes, and bair stage spiking. Oh and I don't know what to do when I'm on the ledge and your opponent has perfect spacing to punish you if you ledge attack, punish you if you regularly get up, and punish if you roll and occasionally if you ledge jump. Yea the QA isn't working since I think the sonic knows about how our hitbox extends. Other than that I'm fine. Sorry for such a long paragraph about my problems :p

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Well mostly on the sonic match-up, I feel pressured with the amount of speed sonic has. He can run to one end to th other on final destination in like 3 seconds! (Exaggeration), but he's everywhere and the spindahses is where it all starts, it's mainly where sonic gets the kills with the bairs, uairs and the spring is what bothers me the most. Although the spring is the dumbest hitbox in the game to me, it gets in the way of ALOT of things. Sometimes sonic's in the air and I go under and try to uair him, AND HE DOES AN UP-B followed with a timed dair that when he gets back on ground, Im close to him that I think I can punish, but the dair is already over allowing him to PS and then punish. Also I don't know how many times I've been stage spiked with the spring trying to recover from sonic doing falling bair when he gets impetient and me wondering what to do off of the ledge and I try to tech it, but it's really unexpected for me. So all I really need help with is the spring, spindashes, and bair stage spiking. Oh and I don't know what to do when I'm on the ledge and your opponent has perfect spacing to punish you if you ledge attack, punish you if you regularly get up, and punish if you roll and occasionally if you ledge jump. Yea the QA isn't working since I think the sonic knows about how our hitbox extends. Other than that I'm fine. Sorry for such a long paragraph about my problems :p
I can't give you any specifics on the sonic match up, but there are more ways to get back one the ledge. Try air dodging passed them f-airing from the ledge onto the stage but don't be predictable with it.

Mr.Pikachu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EzioJett
I can't give you any specifics on the sonic match up, but there are more ways to get back one the ledge. Try air dodging passed them f-airing from the ledge onto the stage but don't predictable with it.
I always tried fair and that's what gets me back offstage so I'll try airdodging! How do you deal with final cutter from kirby spamming? Btw since there's more people for me to ask this question again, any pikachu main (or sub-main) play wi-fi?

Top Bottom