• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Picking up Roy

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
I wish this was a joke, that I could say and join into the train of Roy sucks so hard he shouldn't be played.

However this isn't.

I play mainly with Falco and Sheik, Falco being the character for when my brain is working at full percentage and Sheik for when my hands and brain aren't quite synced up. It's been an interesting road learning Melee (originally starting off in PM and before that competitive Halo).

It's only been a year of taking Smash seriously and putting in training, in the year that I've played I've put in over 2,000 hours, something that I'm not particularly proud of. That's a lot of time that could have been spent on something else but when something becomes a sport it's simply what you do.

Why I'm picking up Roy:

Why would I pick up Roy when there's Marth right? I see it and hear it at tournaments all the time when I play friendlies (I used to not play Roy in tourney because it's disrespectful or something something). Marth is the better character. I'm not denying that, but the short answer to this is--I'm ten times better with Roy than I am with Marth.​

Now I don't know if this is something that comes from when I started out, but I played with Mario and got used to having no range with his attacks, or maybe it was from learning Falco when Mario just wasn't cutting it anymore and I needed to get into people's faces more hardcore than I already was with stubby-arms (:mariomelee:). I'm not sure.

So I wish this was some super-pro player making this thread to give people hope for the Meta of Roy, but that's simply not the case. I live in the boondocks of Georgia where the closest tournaments are two hours away and with working two jobs [now] it's not possible.​

However from now on I'm going to be playing Roy in any tournaments that I enter, I think he can win, especially after having about sixty hours of practice against some Marth mains in both Melee and PM it's doable, just a different playstyle is needed than one might expect.

So far my win ratio against Marth is around [Wins 10 games:Losses 2 games] in actual tournament setting in Melee however my opponents weren't exactly the best, but good enough to make it through about thirty other people and into top 8 where I played both and won in WF's and somehow won in GF's.
However, after this I was told I was an ass for showing off and playing with Roy instead of my main squeeze, my main baby-making machine, which is Falco because I played exclusively with Falco instead of Roy in friendlies leading up to the tourney.

Roy has it in him to be good, but not in the same way that Fox and Falco is good unfortunately, but he's good enough to win. It'll just take around three-minutes instead of One.​

TL;DR Long story short. Roy's my boy now. My main squeeze and baby making machine and I love him and you can hate our love all you want and it'll never make a difference, because we're meant for each other. :marthmelee::roymelee:[kiss]

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
I really hope you become that sparkle of light for Roy's Meta.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
I've been playing Roy for a year competitively, don't play roy.
I don't care what reasons you think you might have for picking him up.
He doesn't cover any poor match up that your other characters have.

Ultimately it is your choice to make but there is one question you have to ask yourself.

Why are you playing melee?

If it's to become good and place well at tourneys - Don't play Roy

If you want to be a notable roy main and develop the meta. - Don't, it takes way to much time to feel even slightly comfortable in any high tier matchup

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing Roy for a year competitively, don't play roy.
I don't care what reasons you think you might have for picking him up.
He doesn't cover any poor match up that your other characters have.

Ultimately it is your choice to make but there is one question you have to ask yourself.

Why are you playing melee?

If it's to become good and place well at tourneys - Don't play Roy

If you want to be a notable roy main and develop the meta. - Don't, it takes way to much time to feel even slightly comfortable in any high tier matchup
Why do you play Roy?

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
I'm already comfortable with Roy that's not the issue. I think to throw away a character is kind of, if not sort of, dumb.

The only problem that I have with Roy that is if I miss an L-cancel I'm going to get punished hard. The reason I feel a lot of people drop Roy is because they play him like Marth--he's not Marth and he can't do the things Marth can do.

Just because a move doesn't have a considerable knockback doesn't mean it's useless and I'm sure I don't have to explain that. The entire point of Roy is for that close proximity [one MU I won't play him is against Jiggs, still working on the Falco vs. Jiggs MU honestly.] and that close proximity leads into F-smash along with other things, some strings that I've found to work is SHFFUL (short hop, fast fall, up air, l-cancel) into F-smash.

To do advancing forward airs is essentially suicide with Roy until higher percents, unlike with Marth. Instead retreating SHFFfair-L works out more in his favor. With the right DI you can put just about any character into a mini combo of just D-tilts SHFFfair-L for about 30% dmg until you can then switch it up with either advancing Fairs or Aerial Neutral B's.

Neutral B not only has some of the best landing lag but an amazing hitbox and decent KB, just not enough dmg output for some people to consider, instead they try to play Roy like Marth advancing SHFF Nairs. Don't use Nair with Roy, just don't.

TL;DR I'm not picking up Roy because I think he sucks or because I think I'm going to advance the Meta, I'm going to play him because he's fairly good if played right [which can be said for any character].

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
you will learn way more and be taken more seriously if you use a non-low tier. if you want to pick him up as a secondary or something, go for it, but seriously, don't main him.

roy's approaches are really bad, the only reason he shouldn't be played at least somewhat similarly to marth (well, his neutral is similar, but different because marth is actually threatening and faster) is because he doesn't have marth's tools. neutral b being as good as you think is an illusion, it's just a decent option in front of almost everything else roy has.

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
I already play with Falco and Sheik... And I already play and win in tournaments, this isn't something I'm pulling out of my butt.

The not playing like Marth thing I've already addressed. I'm not considering Roy a god tier character, he automatically has to try harder than Marth and the rest of the cast. I'm not ignorant to his weaknesses, just like Falco has weaknesses and Sheik has weaknesses. He's been a side jaunt for this year, it wasn't until this month though that I decided to play him seriously after winning several matches with him that I feel he's a thing.

And no I don't actually have delusions of grandeur regarding Roy. But he's one of my best characters strangely. [:falcomelee::sheikmelee::drmario::roymelee::marthmelee:]
Don't judge our love. :falco::roymelee:[much deeper and passionate kiss, a little tongue action in there before Roy realizes he activated Falco's nurturing side, causing him to vomit up the fresh worms he had just chewed moments prior filling up the boy Roy's mouth with a sludge like substance.]

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
I already play with Falco and Sheik... And I already play and win in tournaments, this isn't something I'm pulling out of my butt.

The not playing like Marth thing I've already addressed. I'm not considering Roy a god tier character, he automatically has to try harder than Marth and the rest of the cast. I'm not ignorant to his weaknesses, just like Falco has weaknesses and Sheik has weaknesses. He's been a side jaunt for this year, it wasn't until this month though that I decided to play him seriously after winning several matches with him that I feel he's a thing.

And no I don't actually have delusions of grandeur regarding Roy. But he's one of my best characters strangely. [:falcomelee::sheikmelee::drmario::roymelee::marthmelee:]
Don't judge our love. :falco::roymelee:[much deeper and passionate kiss, a little tongue action in there before Roy realizes he activated Falco's nurturing side, causing him to vomit up the fresh worms he had just chewed moments prior filling up the boy Roy's mouth with a sludge like substance.]
omg.. lmao

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
F-air into d-tilt into F-air into d-tilt into N-air.

If they're on a platform - Rising U-air into F-smash (also work on stage)

Jiggs is not a hard match up, she has to approach and can be reverse up-b'ed
I'm already comfortable with Roy that's not the issue. I think to throw away a character is kind of, if not sort of, dumb.

TL;DR I'm not picking up Roy because I think he sucks or because I think I'm going to advance the Meta, I'm going to play him because he's fairly good if played right [which can be said for any character].

I have been playing this ****ty excuse for a character for a year. Believe me when I say that I know about nearly every thing you can do with him and It all comes down to execution and mix-ups. Regarding mix ups all he has is, am I gonna do an U-air or am I gonna grab you.

Believe me dropping Roy is one of the best ideas you could have. If the only reason you think you should keep on playing him is because you think he's one of your best characters.
Then you are ;
  1. Terrible at video games
  2. Playing versus cpus or awful players
  3. not utilizing Shiek or falco's strengths

If you wanna be a wiener play shiek and tech chase
If you wanna be hype play falco and learn to pillar

Don't play Roy

SSBM_Lan

Smash Cadet

I have been playing this ****ty excuse for a character for a year. Believe me when I say that I know about nearly every thing you can do with him and It all comes down to execution and mix-ups. Regarding mix ups all he has is, am I gonna do an U-air or am I gonna grab you.

Believe me dropping Roy is one of the best ideas you could have. If the only reason you think you should keep on playing him is because you think he's one of your best characters.
Then you are ;

Don't play Roy
You need to stop telling people to not play Roy. Some people have fun playing Roy, and I can tell you right now you 100% don't know everything there is about Roy. It's a shame you constantly blame the character rather than yourself.

To OP : Don't be discouraged!! =)

Last edited:

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
Some people like to be that way, makes them feel they got everything figured out. Oh well don't bother with them just do what you want to do. Accept that Roy is in a lot of ways one of the worse characters to compete with, but if using Roy brings you joy, then stick with it. Don't listen to naysayers. Just know people will think you're crazy because you're not being "logical".

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N

Don't play Roy
HAHAHAHA. No. I don't suck if that's what you're implying with Falco and Sheik. I'm not the greatest by any means, but suck? No. Terrible at games in general? No. I played tournament/e-sports Halo before getting into Smash. Play against bad players? No. I have the amazing benefit of playing against one of the best Marth/Jiggs player in my area so I have the practice there.

I'm not going to get into an argument about skill perse, but if you're trying to imply that you're somehow better just because you've been playing Roy for a year don't. I've only been playing for a year and I'm beating players who have played competitively since 2001, I'm not great or the greatest, but I can win with Falco, Sheik and Roy consistently. Fastest match against a Fox player with Falco: 52 sec 4 stock. Fastest match Sheik vs Marth: 1min 20s 4 stock. Roy vs Fox/Marth/Sheik/Falco/Jiggs average is 2:02min 2 stocks.

The only thing I'm doing now is making Roy better. The worst MU I have so far is against a Samus player from Alabama (not online in person). But I'm working on that MU for my next trip over there.

So, don't be an ass just because I think Roy can win, if you don't enjoy the character then don't play him cause it sounds like you hate our Boy.

Edit: and if I wasn't going to pick Roy it was going to be Doc, but that's another discussion.

Last edited:

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
[QUOTE="lolazerz, post: 20934912, member: 225313"[/QUOTE]
Btw I'm not saying you suck either, my hat is automatically off to you for even playing him :) I didn't mean to sound like a jerk myself.

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N

I have been playing this ****ty excuse for a character for a year.
Btw I'm not saying you suck either, my hat is automatically off to you for even playing Roy, I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk myself. :)

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
Btw I'm not saying you suck either, my hat is automatically off to you for even playing Roy, I wasn't trying to sound like a jerk myself. :)
If someone hates Roy they shouldn't be the one to play him. Yes I am throwing shade.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
I'll admit I was heated when I wrote that post but I still stand by what I said.

Roy is a bad character.

Ultimately it is your choice but I just don't understand how somebody can play Roy, a character with so many weaknesses, as well as characters like Falco and Shiek. It just doesn't make sense to me. If you want to be a good player I can't see the purpose of playing Roy. If you think it's in some way to cover a bad matchup, high tiers can do it so much easier

You need to stop telling people to not play Roy. Some people have fun playing Roy, and I can tell you right now you 100% don't know everything there is about Roy. It's a shame you constantly blame the character rather than yourself.
I have never once blamed my character for anything that has happened to me, people who do are weak and only play bad characters because they are bad and hide behind their character claiming their losses to be the character's fault rather than theirs

I'm sure that I'm coming across negative in this thread, I'm only doing that to urge people not to pickup Roy.

If someone hates Roy they shouldn't be the one to play him. Yes I am throwing shade.
K, first of all worst shade in the history of man-kind.
Secondly I don't hate Roy, but I do recognize that he is an absolutely awful character in almost every way. But he's my favorite character in the entirety of smash.

I don't want people to play Roy because it's not a test of how good you are, it's a test of your fortitude and willpower

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit I was heated when I wrote that post but I still stand by what I said.

Roy is a bad character.

Ultimately it is your choice but I just don't understand how somebody can play Roy, a character with so many weaknesses, as well as characters like Falco and Shiek. It just doesn't make sense to me. If you want to be a good player I can't see the purpose of playing Roy. If you think it's in some way to cover a bad matchup, high tiers can do it so much easier

I have never once blamed my character for anything that has happened to me, people who do are weak and only play bad characters because they are bad and hide behind their character claiming their losses to be the character's fault rather than theirs

I'm sure that I'm coming across negative in this thread, I'm only doing that to urge people not to pickup Roy.

K, first of all worst shade in the history of man-kind.
Secondly I don't hate Roy, but I do recognize that he is an absolutely awful character in almost every way. But he's my favorite character in the entirety of smash.

I don't want people to play Roy because it's not a test of how good you are, it's a test of your fortitude and willpower
I am sorry by the way :p But like idk, You should not want to be alone in wanting to play Roy. I do not want to be the best of all time, Only the best at my character :) and many here agree also

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
*sees people complain about roy, looks at my secondary kirby, wonders why people are complaining about roy*

JOJO94

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vintage_Rider
It's true that Roy has poor matchups, but you guys seem to forget something important about this character...

HE'S OUR BOY.

As another low tier main (Link), I wish you the best of Luck. All matchups can somehow be won, and even styled (except Shiek. Seriously, **** Shiek).

Also, Roy has a cool voice. Another Dank reason to play him.

Last edited:

Keman

Smash Apprentice
Azerz and BloodLion should just Netplay Ditto roy MM, where the loser has to play red Marth for the next month.

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
Azerz and BloodLion should just Netplay Ditto roy MM, where the loser has to play red Marth for the next month.
I would but my computer can't handle the emulator, it would catch fire, same with the internet I only have like 3 up on my service.

The thing with Falco and Sheik is currently I'm playing for the love of game not to win every single thing I enter, I was hosting tournaments and people were coming up from two hours away to play--first off bless those guys I would give them a shout out but I can't remember their tags or smash accounts but thanks guys whoever you were--and the thing is, if you're willing to drive two hours away to go to a tourney spending gas money, I'm not going to take the cash pool from you.

Roy is a bad character.

Ultimately it is your choice but I just don't understand how somebody can play Roy, a character with so many weaknesses, as well as characters like Falco and Sheik.
I can play Roy because I can play all of the characters, my worst character is Pikachu/pichu but that's besides the point. I even have a Fox that's better than my Falco but he hurts my hands so he's a no. I like the challenge of Roy, he has weaknesses but it's not enough for me to throw him away.

When I started out I played against a group of friends who only played Melee since about '04 some since '01 that was their thing and I was just the guy on the side getting four stocked constantly every single game I played, was chaingrabbed by Sheik and Marth til death EVERY SINGLE GAME.

So yeah, I guess you could say I'm a masochist like comet7 said, but I had a Samus Marth Fox Jigglypuff and a Peach players to play against. But thankfully those kind of practice partners made my game grow that much faster, I just had to drop Halo in order to do it :sadeyes:.

Thanks for the kind words though from everyone.

Last edited:

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
UPDATE:

I've come to a conclusion.

I can't beat a good Samus with Roy. I can come close but it's just too far off and I have to switch to Falco to win.
#fraud

I can win consistently with :falcomelee::drmario::sheikmelee::foxmelee::peachmelee::luigimelee:, but as soon as I switch to Roy his attacks keep Samus at just the right range for Samus to Nair my face into oblivion.

If anyone has tips I'll listen, but please no: "Don't play Roy." I want actual info, possible setups.

Edit: I'm getting better at the Marth MU got a JV 4 just recently.
Also is there any way to Up-b cancel similar to Doc?

Last edited:

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
>.> That may be because of a mis-analysis of how her options work vs your options in the given situation. Samus and Sheik stomp on a lot of things with Nair, most player don't actually realize just how many things they can Nair out of. Example being that Sheik can Nair after an Uthrow from Marth and beat out his Utilt in certain situations.

Unless you want to be a Falco, switching to Falco to clutch your win is a bad habit. What is the precise situation or situations where Nair is giving you a problem? Like describe the string, approach or tactic where you get Naired hardcore and maybe there is a wait to bait the Nair and punish it.

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
>.> That may be because of a mis-analysis of how her options work vs your options in the given situation. Samus and Sheik stomp on a lot of things with Nair, most player don't actually realize just how many things they can Nair out of. Example being that Sheik can Nair after an Uthrow from Marth and beat out his Utilt in certain situations.

Unless you want to be a Falco, switching to Falco to clutch your win is a bad habit. What is the precise situation or situations where Nair is giving you a problem? Like describe the string, approach or tactic where you get Naired hardcore and maybe there is a wait to bait the Nair and punish it.
That's a good point, mainly it has to do when I'm trying to finish her off with pressure from SHFFL-Fairs, the KB/Hitstun isn't enough to continue a combo as it is with other characters. I've been trying to adapt and keep pushing but as I'm adapting the Samus player is also adapting.

So When I lay off of my SHFFL-Fairs into D-tilts, he switches into full bore missile after missile. I'm decent at wavedashing shield, along with using my jab to cancel out his projectiles but jeez. It hurts.

Oh gosh I just got the thought of Samus vs. Roy in my head

Sounds like a horrendous MU.
It causes me physical pain yes.

Schnizzle Fits

Smash Cadet
There are match ups with Roy I don't even bother and Samus is one of them. Roy is pretty bad at dealing with projectiles and really cant do much besides edge hogging offstage, and that gives Samus plenty of time recovery. Also Roy deals with floaties poorly. I honestly don't know but you may want to see if DED even works at KO%, likely not but thats all I can think of. Its just a MU that should be avoided. Others being Jiggs and Luigi.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Samus and Peach are I feel Roy's worst MUs. Samus's n-air is really annoying and a lot of characters can stop Roy's options with a fast move like n-air, see Luigi. But one good thing that Roy has going for him in the Samus MU is that he can side-b the missiles and receive very little amount of end lag from doing so.

But yah Roy Vs Samus is just no beuno. I believe Falco has a much easier time in that MU, in other cases i'd be able to help you out with quick tips and tricks but Vs Samus just play Falco.

Last edited:

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
Samus and Peach are I feel Roy's worst MUs. Samus's n-air is really annoying and a lot of characters can stop Roy's options with a fast move like n-air, see Luigi. But one good thing that Roy has going for him in the Samus MU is that he can side-b the missiles and receive very little amount of end lag from doing so.

But yah Roy Vs Samus is just no beuno. I believe Falco has a much easier time in that MU, in other cases i'd be able to help you out with quick tips and tricks but Vs Samus just play Falco.
Yeah that was the main thing, just something more for projectiles. Falco does have an easier time but that's the case I feel for any high tier. Once I get in on Samus I do a good job but it's closing that gap and remembering not to get punished by nair. I feel like Samus could easily timeout the MU if Roy doesn't land a kill move, on a stage like Dreamland the match could easily go seven minutes if there's no opening.

I'm going to practice it a bit more, I was able to get a three stock at one point but that was only because the player SD'ed, after that it switched back to Samus' favor ending in 1 stock games. I'm just thinking about several things to do in the situation that doesn't entail dying.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
I think something that could be the most helpful to Roy is side-bing the missiles because the gets rid of them without taking the full explosion, while it does put Roy in a lot of hit stun it's a nice alternative to perfect sheidling

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
I think something that could be the most helpful to Roy is side-bing the missiles because the gets rid of them without taking the full explosion, while it does put Roy in a lot of hit stun it's a nice alternative to perfect sheidling
Right, I've been using jab and f-tilt, but the side-b would definitely help while mid-air thanks.

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
So... I've gotten better with Roy. And here's the but.

But. He hurts my hands. He takes more APM [at least for me] to play at a high level for the same reward as Fox [who also destroys my hands] or Falco [WOOH Tier lists!]. So I'm still a believer in Roy. But for now I'm taking a break from him.

It's like finding someone to make out with hardcore, and you kiss and kiss until your lips are raw and sore but you still keep kissing because it's an amazing reward and then you find out you have herpes now. Well, everyone has herpes. But that's besides the point.

Non sequitur aside.

I feel pretty good, I think everyone should try out Roy seriously with a mental fortitude to win at the game. It definitely makes you better overall.

Anyways, Peace.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
Right, I've been using jab and f-tilt, but the side-b would definitely help while mid-air thanks.
Why were you using Jab and f-tilt both of those moves are fairly useless, f-tilt is situationally ok but Jab is just bad.

But. He hurts my hands. He takes more APM [at least for me] to play at a high level for the same reward as Fox [who also destroys my hands] or Falco [WOOH Tier lists!].
I don't know how you play falco and Roy but speaking from personal experience, falco and Fox require a much higher apm then Roy does, like roy needs to SHFFL and dash dance a lot but fox and falco have to do shine shenanigans. I just dont see a situation where playing Roy would hurt your hands (unless your playing for like hours on end)

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Why were you using Jab and f-tilt both of those moves are fairly useless, f-tilt is situationally ok but Jab is just bad.
he was talking about clanking with missiles

and playing ONLY roy should not make your hands hurt. fox will, and playing other characters on the side will not alleviate the pain unless you manage x thing with fox (or falco, but to a lesser extent) better.

Bionis

Smash Rookie
NNID
munchcin123

But. He hurts my hands. He takes more APM [at least for me] to play at a high level for the same reward as Fox [who also destroys my hands] or Falco [WOOH Tier lists!]. So I'm still a believer in Roy. But for now I'm taking a break from him.

It's like finding someone to make out with hardcore, and you kiss and kiss until your lips are raw and sore but you still keep kissing because it's an amazing reward and then you find out you have herpes now. Well, everyone has herpes. But that's besides the point.

Non sequitur aside.

I feel pretty good, I think everyone should try out Roy seriously with a mental fortitude to win at the game. It definitely makes you better overall.

Anyways, Peace.
Can't say I have good news on the Roy vs Samus Meta. I've been playing Melee for 6 months and Roy is my favorite character. My friend that I play Melee with is a Sheik/Samus/Fox main, so I have experience in the matchup, but it's damn near impossible for me. I play Fox, Falco, Marth, Falcon, and Roy. I can play any combination of those characters except Roy vs Samus. Good luck in your Roy endeavors. Thinking about starting a Rpy discord but I don't think there's enough Roy mains for this to be necessary. Please let me know if you're interested though.

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N

I don't know how you play falco and Roy but speaking from personal experience, falco and Fox require a much higher apm then Roy does, like roy needs to SHFFL and dash dance a lot but fox and falco have to do shine shenanigans. I just dont see a situation where playing Roy would hurt your hands (unless your playing for like hours on end)
You really have like no confidence in someone else do you? I play Roy at high APM of play, right around 230apm on avg. at an extended period of play considering that each match runs around 3-5 minutes with Roy potentially even longer if you're looking at fighting floaties. My hands hurt after this. I don't just walk around and f-smash with Roy. If that's how I played Roy my hands would not hurt.

My Falco is also right around 230apm BUT, those matches only last around 1.5min-2.5min long, essentially half the time of a Roy match which allows for longer rest periods in between. So that's what I'm referring to.

Top Bottom