• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Picking up Roy

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
he was talking about clanking with missiles
I actually forgot that was the subject, I just thought he was referring to using them in the neutral or in a combo string (which you should not do) still jab is risky because it's slower than side -b same with f-tilt.

You really have like no confidence in someone else do you? I play Roy at high APM of play, right around 230apm on avg. at an extended period of play considering that each match runs around 3-5 minutes with Roy potentially even longer if you're looking at fighting floaties.

My Falco is also right around 230apm BUT, those matches only last around 1.5min-2.5min long, essentially half the time of a Roy match which allows for longer rest periods in between. So that's what I'm referring to.
I can defiantly see Roy reaching an apm of 250 whilst playing vs fox, falco, or falcon. but anyone else it's mostly spacing and capitalizing on what you can. Like vs floaties the only struggle is getting in safely vs them, similar to sheik. like I've played vs Kira, vs Captain Faceroll and played vs. Mac D

From experiance playing vs fox has roy reach an apm of like 250~
Vs Sheik had me at like 200~220
And Vs Peach was around >200

Jink8

Smash Journeyman
Can't say I have good news on the Roy vs Samus Meta. I've been playing Melee for 6 months and Roy is my favorite character. My friend that I play Melee with is a Sheik/Samus/Fox main, so I have experience in the matchup, but it's damn near impossible for me. I play Fox, Falco, Marth, Falcon, and Roy. I can play any combination of those characters except Roy vs Samus. Good luck in your Roy endeavors. Thinking about starting a Rpy discord but I don't think there's enough Roy mains for this to be necessary. Please let me know if you're interested though.
I already have a Roy discord check the links below me.

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
ROY'S OUR BOY!
Screw what people think, if you want to play a character do it! I've been playing Roy since I was in 6th grade because the fire looked so cool. I've started playing competitively, learned that Roy sucked (everyone just tells me to pick Marth, but i'm obviously not), and get rekt but that doesn't stop me from playing him. I consider myself to be a mediocre player, but as long as i'm having fun i'll be fine.

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
ROY'S OUR BOY!
Screw what people think, if you want to play a character do it! I've been playing Roy since I was in 6th grade because the fire looked so cool. I've started playing competitively, learned that Roy sucked (everyone just tells me to pick Marth, but i'm obviously not), and get rekt but that doesn't stop me from playing him. I consider myself to be a mediocre player, but as long as i'm having fun i'll be fine.
Pillaring with Falco is some of the most fun **** you can do my dude

Masteroki

Smash Cadet
Pillaring with Falco is some of the most fun **** you can do my dude
All of his moves are SO good, I underestimated his up tilt until I played at a round Robin where majority of the people playing were Falco mains. I haven't really seen much people around where i'm from pillar with him. They just do a small combo and reset it back to the neutral.

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
All of his moves are SO good, I underestimated his up tilt until I played at a round Robin where majority of the people playing were Falco mains. I haven't really seen much people around where i'm from pillar with him. They just do a small combo and reset it back to the neutral.
Then they're not a true Falco. If you don't get zero2deathed you're playing against mediocre tap-dancers. There should always be an overabundance of tap-dancing while playing with Falco. Kidding.

UPDATE: So I was finally able to play the Samus player that I mentioned in previous posts, if you've read them, congratulations to you for reading my Wall of Text--WoT for short.

So I was able to three-stock him twice in a set best of five with Roy and honestly I feel accomplished. Previously I had to rely on Falco to beat him but in just recent months my game has gotten significantly better. Thanks to lolazerz lolazerz for reminding me about side-b for missiles even though you're an ass no offense.

I see a surge in popularity of Roy from SSBM Tutorials doing a video on him [which in all honesty showcased him in a bad light] it will be interesting to see any new Roy's do well.

BloodL10N

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BloodL10N
So what I've learned from playing Roy and why I urge every player to play with him:

So I don't think anyone is really interested in these posts and that's ok, it's been a year since my last one anyways.
What I've learned is that you can beat anyone in a match with Roy in a local (already a consensus before me even doing this). But as soon as you get into a longer set best of 5 or so the other player is no longer surprised by the majority of what you can do with Roy even if you're the faster player.

But why I urge every other player to play him, I urge you to play Roy for a handful of reasons, the main one being that with Roy you can no longer rely on a high-to-middle tier to carry you and allows you to grow as a player. You'll learn a lot, especially about when to go in, given you can learn this with the higher tier characters, you won't necessarily be punished as hard as you would be by playing with the Boy Roy making you a smarter player in the long run.

I've learned a lot from him, and if you don't like Roy then I urge you to play with another Low-Tier to grow as a player.

Top Bottom