• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Picking the right pikmin

Afroanater

Smash Rookie
NNID
Afroanater
3DS FC
0189-9366-0625
I know the uses for all the pikmin; what their unique properties are. The main problem I face though is killing them. When I get a couple moments alone I'll start to organize and rid the pikmin, either with standing at the edge and letting the bad ones fall of as you pick them or fsmash/sideb them to their death; they always die slowly and I end up picking nothing as they fall(which obviously leaves you vunerable because picking pikmin when you have all 4 has lots of lag). So my question to you is, "how do you kill your pikmin in the most effective way so you can get the ones you want in the fastest way possible?"

Also this is my first post on smashboards so don't blame me if im doing it wrong.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
The options you gave are pretty much it. I trend to side b because it's a safer move. Honestly I just try to deal with with the hand I draw. If I want to get rid of a Pikmin I throw them at the opponent so they can at least deal some damage maybe. @ Oracle Oracle is really good at farming Pikmin maybe he can give some more insight on how he chooses when it's a good time to try to farm.

Oracle

Smash Master
You dont always need 4. Usually ill throw the bad ones off the edge and start running. Ve characters with easy ways to geth the pimin off like mk you can also throw the pikmin at your opponent and let them get hit off, though youll usually have to whistle them back and dp it a couple times. Whites always filter themselves because of low health so just throw them at your opponent. I always just side b pikmin off the stage rather than fsmash, since fsmash doesnt have the crazy offstage active frames from brawl

Afroanater

Smash Rookie
NNID
Afroanater
3DS FC
0189-9366-0625
You dont always need 4. Usually ill throw the bad ones off the edge and start running. Ve characters with easy ways to geth the pimin off like mk you can also throw the pikmin at your opponent and let them get hit off, though youll usually have to whistle them back and dp it a couple times. Whites always filter themselves because of low health so just throw them at your opponent. I always just side b pikmin off the stage rather than fsmash, since fsmash doesnt have the crazy offstage active frames from brawl
Ok, yeah that make sense. Well do you use fsmash for anything in particular? I personally don't use it that much, I mean dsmash has better knock-back angle and is better for killing. Ftilt can kill too but it doesn't have the range fsmash has; it is a lot faster though.

Last edited:

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
I'm always hearing how people throw their White pikmin willy nilly not caring what happens to them. I Love the White in my line, I try and reserve them till flowered before using them cuz they can rack up awesome combos. A Pikmin combo I like is having only 2 Pikmin, White and Purple. Grab with White and Pummel > Dthrow > Usmash > Usmash > Usmash > Usmash > Uair/Fair. Even having only 2 flowered White can be devistating, especially if your at mid to high percents and the opponent is at low.

Yellow is probably the most thrown away Pikmin. I don't see a good reason to keep it when any other Pikmin would do it's job better. Sure, it has more shield pressure, but Olimar never gets close to breaking a shield, let alone reducing it enough to tack on a hit.

Red is second most thrown away Pikmin. Sure, it's better than Yellow but not better that Purple, White, or Blue. Each of them have a purpose but Red and Yellow don't really seem to.

If anyone can tell me good reasons to keep them in my lineup, I'd love to hear it and try to work them in.

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
It's funny, when I only have 2 Purple, people get nervious, When I have 3 Purple, people get scared. Never gotten 4 Purple in a legit fight. I'd assume they would be terrified.

B.W.

Smash Champion
My favorite lineup is 1 Blue 3 Purple. Keep your Blue to be next in the Whistle queue so its grabs are just a button press away. Purple is power and a really strong projectile. It's fairly easy to approach when you have a Purple Pikmin to throw, and when you have the ability to follow it up with another Purple it just makes warms your heart to know that you're probably going to be able to kill on stage before 130%.

Oracle

Smash Master
I think blue is borderline useless. Kill throws dont happen till super late, and blue dthrow has worse followups because it goes further than other throws. Also lineups are always mu dependant. I go for whites in floatier mus or mus where the opp doesnt have good ways to get the pikmin off

Afroanater

Smash Rookie
NNID
Afroanater
3DS FC
0189-9366-0625
Personally I go with 2 purples 1 white and 1 expendable pikmin. The expendable one usually is MU dependent like fire for a charizard or sonething. I always throw the expendable ones and if they are lucky they stay around and grow a flower. So for example Ill pick 4 at the start, if theres a white or purple one ill use it for attacks/grabs but I'll never throw the white one (unless the character has a lot of elemental moves so i can get 2 pikmin=to that element). Rest of the time is spent nurtuing the white to flower status so sweetswpotted white attacks have the flower effects, and the other half of the time goes to getting the 2 other purples.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I think blue is borderline useless. Kill throws dont happen till super late, and blue dthrow has worse followups because it goes further than other throws. Also lineups are always mu dependant. I go for whites in floatier mus or mus where the opp doesnt have good ways to get the pikmin off
Blue D-Throw actually has less knockback than all the other D-Throws. this is why I like Blue in my line up, since it sets up for stuff better at higher damage. Having multiple blues can make D-Throw chaingrabs last a long time on a lot of characters too.

F-Throw is also fantastic for getting opponents far off stage, putting them in a bad position vs Olimar because the angle it throws is fairly straight, and Olimar is pretty damn good at going off stage to gimp.

Blue also outshines Red in BKB for the most part, though Red does more damage which makes Red kind of ideal at the beginning of a stock since its damage potential is way better. Blue also has more HP so if it gets hit, you won't lose it as fast which is nice if your Pikmin are flowered.

I will say one thing Yellow is good at is hitting an opponents head or back with Pikmin throw. This is good because a it forces an opponent to use different moves to hit Yellow off, which sometimes leads to good openings.

Otherwise, I somewhat agree that the Pikmin you want changes depending on the matchup. But there's pretty much never a time where you don't want as many Purples as you can get.

Top Bottom