• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Physical or Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioZelink

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Biozelink
3DS FC
4811-7130-3977
Digital. I'd get it in the night it comes out, and will already play it before 1 am, also i can carry the game with a ton of other great games on my SD card. It's just convenient, i don't need a plastic box to enjoy a game.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Physical, always. As long as I can. I will always prefer having a physical game and case over a digital game. Also, I would rather save the space on my 3DS for games that actually are download only.

theinstituter

Smash Cadet
NNID
theinstituter
3DS FC
0662-2468-9863
I'm getting a physical copy, but i'll be going to another country for vacation during August, so I hope the 3DS version releases around July.
bet you 5 bucks it's going to release in August

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Physical copy.

I mean, a lot can happen in 4 months, and I might change my mind, but just judging from my past purchases?

It's going to be physical.

I want to see it sitting in my stack of 3DS games so I can get hype every time I see it.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
See, I prefer games physical. But sometimes I simply can't make it to the store soon enough for my tastes, and so I get it digital.
However certain games - including Pokemon X/Y, Mario Kart 8, and Smash 4 - I have to get physical. So I'll be going with physical.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I understand the appeal of digital, but I'm still wary on it. I don't like not having a physical copy that I possess in my own two hands. In fact, the first Wii I owned died on me and I sold it for parts to pay for a new one without thinking twice about it, and Nintendo wouldn't let me re-download my Virtual Console purchases because I didn't have my old Wii's serial number for proof. It was bull.

Obviously their online purchasing and networking have changed since then, but I still don't like leaving my ownership up for grabs like that. If I own a physical copy, I own it. Period. It's mine. While being able to select Smash Bros. even without having the cartridge inserted is appealing, I'll be getting myself a physical copy for sure.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
If my local GameStop has a midnight release, physical. If not I'll download. I've been trying to go all digital anyway.

Crendog

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0318-7435-8104
I have been buying digital lately, but with a game I've been waiting for, for so long, I'm definitely buying physical

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I'm getting a physical copy, but i'll be going to another country for vacation during August, so I hope the 3DS version releases around July.
bet you 5 bucks it's going to release in August
I want my 5 bucks.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I'm undecided, but currently leaning digital. I love physical cartridges as much as the next guy, but I can only carry a few carts around at any given time between my 3DS case and the system itself, and Smash is the kind of game I would always want to have handy. To that end, there is a strong temptation to buy digital simply so I don't have to dedicate one of those precious spots to Smash permanently and can continue to use the space for whatever other games are hot at the time. Not sure if that will stick considering how special a release Smash is for me, but it feels like the most sensible pick for now.

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
This is honestly something I've never really thought about regarding the game...
I guess I may go physical simply because I'd hate for the game to get bound to my account which would be a nussiance if I lost my 3DS somehow, but if the game store I preordered it from doesn't have any in stock on release day then I guess I may go digital instead.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
If my local GameStop has a midnight release, physical. If not I'll download. I've been trying to go all digital anyway.
Same, and I even work at GameStop. I highly doubt we'll have one, because Nintendo doesn't actually allow our store to have midnights/demos for their games (we have a Wii U demo station though, so I don't understand..) according to my manager. Luckily there's another one up the road that will have a midnight.

Mariobro_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mariobro_WiiU
3DS FC
1805-2375-5612
Switch FC
7913-4114-6709
Physical, my 3DS's SD Card is practically out of space, I've already got Pokemon X and AC:New Leaf on there.
That, and I just like the satisfaction of inserting cartridges, I'll be getting physical for the Wii U version too.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Physical so I can trade it in when Smash Wii U comes out

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Physical, my 3DS's SD Card is practically out of space, I've already got Pokemon X and AC:New Leaf on there.
That, and I just like the satisfaction of inserting cartridges, I'll be getting physical for the Wii U version too.
Upgrade to a 16 gig for 20 bucks. I did, downloaded all Thames I have on my account (I'm and ambassador so I have a lot) and I still have 90,000 blocks left.

MINUSTHEFIGHTER

Smash Rookie
NNID
trueb7ue
3DS FC
1461-6195-7866
I'll be going digital for the Japanese release and then depending on if they have any awesome pre-order incentives I'll probably go physical for the US release (if not then gonna double down on the digital)

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
For some reason:
I love box art!
I love even the little manual booklets inside!
I love the game cartridge's looks (Which is kind of pathetic seeing as they're stickers.)

So unless the Digital game's price is significantly smaller, I'd go with physical.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That will depend of my levels of hype for buying the game. If it is too much, I will likely buy it digitally. Otherwise, I will pick a regular physical copy.

TheAppleFreak

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheAppleFreak
Physical for me; I would rather not wait for a download to complete over the eShop servers (which likely would melt under Smash 4's load).

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm making bank this summer, I might pick up both for the 3DS. One to always, always have in my 3DS, one to have on my shelf with all my other game cases.

R0Y

Smash Master
Even as someone who's going all physical (which is far safer), this is an interestingly little Vita detail that intrigued me:

Not a significant difference but it's there. I wonder if the 3DS is the same way.

Last edited:

Kiondrick

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1650-3088-1736
I'll be getting mines physical, since I already pre ordered it already. Not too bothered, seeing as my Gamestop is just a 15 minute walk from where I live.

R0Y

Smash Master
For some reason:
I love box art!
I love even the little manual booklets inside!
I love the game cartridge's looks (Which is kind of pathetic seeing as they're stickers.)

So unless the Digital game's price is significantly smaller, I'd go with physical.
I'm going all physical too, but as far as I know those have been virtually phased out, including the poster manuals. MK8 had a tiny one and other than that I don't think I've seen seen one on a new release since Pikmin 3 (which has a stapled booklet here in NA.) 3D World just had a page about viewing the digital manual.

If Smash 3DS and Smash U come with more than this, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Apparently Tropical Freeze did come with one though, stapled and full colour, so who knows?

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
Going Physical. I know the 3DS L&R buttons stop reacting + I tend to drop them often. Just incase I need to switch 3DSs I can just take out the game and put it into another 3DS.

ThePlayer77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Defenceknight
3DS FC
0559-6785-8830
It depends for me. If the digital version is released at the same time as the physical copy, I'll get digital.
Otherwise, I'll buy the physical version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom