• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Philips seeks Wii U ban in the US after it claims Nintendo copied patents

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ph...-claims-nintendo-copied-patents/1100-6419650/

This is pretty important.

I don't think Nintendo is wrong here, this is just the usual abuse of "idea patenting". I also don't think the Wii U ban will happen, but Philips may get a lot of money from Nintendo as compensation.

While going up against Nintendo in court is normally something to be pitied, Nintendo did lose to another company who claimed Nintendo copied their patents to make the 3DS's 3D technology possible.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
My question is, why just Nintendo?

Like seriously. Sony has their own motion thing now IIRC, and MS has Kinect.

And hell. Nintendo had pointing controller at the screen way back in the days of the NES with Duck Hunt.

The only way the Philips can win is by stupidity. e_e

Twewy

Smash Lord
Because Philips knows they would lose if they sued an even bigger company than them.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Wait a minute.....
Philips?

Oh no....

image.jpg

They hath returned, and seek to ruin Nintendo's sacred name once more!!!

HIDE!!!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Just you wait. Phillips will propose a compromise with Nintendo in the court hearing. They will gain regional IP rights to all of Nintendo's franchises. You know what this means? We're getting a successor to The Faces of Evil! :denzel:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Nintendo getting sued, what else is new, and who is doing that to them, it's Phillips, Wait a second.......Phillips???!!!!! OH NO!!!!!!!!! *CDI zooms in as Dramatic Cue D plays*

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Nintendo better win the US case or they are in deep ****. That one determines if Phillips can embargo the Wii U in the largest console market in the world, the United States. If that shuts down all future software sales too (including SSBU), I will be very pissed off as a consumer and fan.

Glad Nintendo made a PR statement that they are going to go to any financial means necessary for their business to continue undisturbed by a potential Phillips ruling.

TheGoldMan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheGoldMan
3DS FC
1950-8066-7015
The ban is not going to happen, but if it did, RIP NINTENDO.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
i already pre-ordered both ****ing games

put one-day shipping on the wiiu bundle

my total was $165.34

i better get a goddamn refund if nintendo gets whooped in court

CheapMovieMonster

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryLink17
3DS FC
1891-1579-9718
Figures, Nintendo was willing to give Phillips their characters for their use and yet I'm sure when those CD-i games were released Nintendo received some of the criticism that the games had received themselves and is most likely the basis as to why Nintendo almost NEVER releases their games on any console other than their own anymore; I guess it's not much of a surprise that now that same companies that already hurt Nintendo far in the past due to Nintendo's kindness seeks to hurt their image once again nearly 20 years after "those things" happened.
I don't know if I should be disgusted or disappointed with Phillips.

R0Y

Smash Master
It's incredibly dumb that it passed in the UK....I hope Nintendo wins on appeal with a competent judge.

Germany, France, and USA too....man **** Phillips, these patents are BS.

Seriously, only know them for their electric razors now, but never buying a product from them again if I can help it, they're acting like a patent troll.

R0Y

Smash Master
Wait. Phillips is actually winning? ****ing how?
Some senile judge in over his head in the UK, I doubt it happens elsewhere and Nintendo might win on appeal (and they've already said they're going to appeal.)

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
If Nintendo does happen to lose, what would happen?
Nooooooooo!

That can't happen! NEVER!

I doubt that judge was thinking clearly that day, these infringements seem more to be a case of the Kinect or Playstation Move rather than Nintendo. Philips is just one of those companies trying to take the negative media bias against Nintendo and leverage it for itself! Didn't expect such a big company to become a patent troll though!

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Phillips be having more salt than a bag of bacalao over their failure of the CD-i systems and the Mario and Zelda games they congealed in their bathroom somewhere. So they take their pent up frustration of 20+ years out on Nintendo.

Booster

Smash Lord
Great, I bought my Wii U for nothing. Guess I can say I have a collectible, assuming I can hide it.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
To play devils' advocate for a second, the CD-i Mario and Zelda games didn't start getting their so-bad-it's-horrible reputation until 2006. They actually got moderate to favorable reviews in 1993. There were a number of reasons the CD-i console failed, but Zelda and Mario weren't among them.

JusticeColde

Smash Cadet
NNID
JusticeColde
Phillips is only suing for money. Asking for a ban is the most convincing thing they can do to trick Nintendo into a settlement.
I don't believe that a full-on ban would realistically happen.

Top Bottom