• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phantom hits/ Invisible ceiling

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol. Phantoms are a product solely of spacing. I believe they were put in place to avoid game glitches for a hitbox and a hurtbox being tangent under certain conditions. Invisible ceilings I can't remember. Shielding strong attacks create them I think? Sorry for the partial answer.

Last edited:

MJfan725

Smash Apprentice
About invisible ceilings i went to abate vs s2j to find an example and one of the top comments explained it. Basically how i understand it is that abate down smashed s2js shield and got punished before the downsmash animation was over. This activated invisible ceiling. You know the rest lol

Pauer

The Pauerful
I believe they were put in place to avoid game glitches for a hitbox and a hurtbox being tangent under certain conditions
I agree and disagree with you.
So phantom hits happen when a hitbox and hurtbox touch but do not overlap as you said. I know that in collision detection you often work with the distance from the point of collision which would be 0 in that case. So for this special case, you probably have to add an exception because you might divide by 0 or something like that. I assume that most other games either make the attack hit or miss in that case. I think Sakurai just thought "why not let it both hit AND miss?" and added the phantom hit which looks like a hit, adds half the usual damage but has no knockback or hitstun. Just for giggles most likely because the units melee works with are extremele small and thus precise (a normal hitbox has a radius of about 300-600 in-game units) which makes phantom hits so rare.

Nomis4

Smash Cadet
This is how ICG works:
When character x hits character y's shield, x is put into a shield-knockback status. If you are hit while in this status, you are going to hit an invisible ceiling. The ICG happens to Luigi the most because he's so slippery that whenever he hits a shield, he slides for a long time while in the shield knock back status.

For the S2J vs Abate instance, Abate got the ICG activated on him when he was hit by S2J's knee OoS, but it didn't occur til he was hit with the stomp. I'm not sure if that's exactly what happened, but that IS how ICG is activated (by getting hit out of shield recoil).

Last edited:
Top Bottom