• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

pet peeves

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
-People who taunt excessively (once or twice a game is enough after a fine kill).

-People who just run, stand, and projectile spam, I know it's part of the game, but pick someone other than Falco and stop spamming. I never lose to spammers, but it's just fricken annoying. Especially in 4 player FFAs where they stand at the very edge and launch things into the fray.

-People who tell you a certain character sucks, you beat them with that char, and they don't acknowledge it (ex: Link sucks! *I threestock him while he uses Marth* No comment)

-People who keep pausing. For a good reason, I won't mind, but if you're going to text as you play, put the **** phone away.

-People who complain about regular grabs. Seriously....unless it's a chaingrab, it's not cheap.

-People who flat-out suck but keep bragging.

-People who keep insisting another character is their main and never use their main against you. Bad matchups are understandable, so fricken pick your main some time.

-People who are too scared to play you 1 on 1 so they insist on a team battle.

-People who brag after winning those team battles.

-People who are still arrogant f*gs after you finally get to play them 1 on 1 and you win.

-People with bad sportsmanship. Like people who trash talk.

-People who know that they are counterpicking (ex: Shiek vs Bowser) and still brag about how great they are after they BARELY win by the skin of their teeth.

-People who whine about shield poking and attacks that bypass their shield.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Personally, a pet peeve is when somoene just camps at the corner, and uses standing lasers/fireballs.

Not because it's overpowered, but because I know they play that way because of Barwl.

craiigg

Smash Lord
saying GG is fine, and yeah it's common courtesy but after EVERY SINGLE GAME you don't need to keep saying it

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I think its better to say GG's when you finish playing, or GG when it has been a really good match.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
saying GG is fine, and yeah it's common courtesy but after EVERY SINGLE GAME you don't need to keep saying it
This is probably my biggest pet peeve. Sometimes I'll be playing with someone and after like half an hour the chat window is just "gg gg gg gg gg gg" even if there were really dumb matches with like 4 suicides. I will occasionally call someone out on saying gg like a robot and usually I just get a confused response.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
After this thread im going to stop saying gg xP

I always say it...except with FireBlaster, he personally told me he doesnt really like it so i dont...but it seems that the general public doesn't like it...

and Mikhas, we are trying to get people to come here...dont send them away!

MBreeto

Smash Ace
lol, i didn't realize you were talking about online play. Yea, when you play online, then it gets pretty annoying since you don't actually see your opponent, so you don't really have to make a good impression for them, but offline, I always say it in non-friendlies.

craiigg

Smash Lord
This is probably my biggest pet peeve. Sometimes I'll be playing with someone and after like half an hour the chat window is just "gg gg gg gg gg gg" even if there were really dumb matches with like 4 suicides. I will occasionally call someone out on saying gg like a robot and usually I just get a confused response.

exactly nintendude knows the truth!!

a whole chat window full of gg gg gg gg is horrible.

surely if the other player has social skills you can always try yknow complimenting their game, or helping them out with holes in their game if they need it

personally i used to love playing quickman because every game we'd have we'd always give each other tips about our playstyles

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I hate when random wi-fi matches pair up a n00bis Ike,and a n00bish Pit,who camp on one side of the stage and spam arrow and F-Smash,and I get stuck with a kirby that says "HII" making me the only one who's really fighting >_>
nice try, wrong board

SSB64 >>> Brawl

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
I felt like posting here out of sheer interest in trolling the **** outta ppl

1: People that say no johns in general, its a over used elitist saying to excuse your self interested butthurt. Get over yourself, if I died because your lag spikes prevented me from recovering? "LOLNOJOHNS", if i lost a match because of the input delay between us prevented me from reacting on time? "LOL NO JOHNS" Go **** yourself with a giant rusty metal rake

2: People who have to OMGRUSHTO THE EASY COMBO PIT, i swear to god hiding down there and the tornado seriously make me wonder why hyrule wasn't a counterpick stage years ago. The tornado is a random hazard that can COMPLETELY **** up a serious match, its like having items on, theres no excuse for it. NONE! I wouldn't mind the easy combo crutch pit except for the fact that every single person i play HAS to use it to beat me on hyrule, the only exceptions I've ever played to this are malva, Boom, and fire.

3: Tilt spam and sandbaggers, I cannot ****ing stand people that tilt spam, its almost as bad as people that spam falcons grab, its fast, near unpunishable. And can be spammed as a pressure...how stupid is that? Ness' utilt especially is the most IMBAHAX trash I have ever had the misfortune to play against. Pikas is almost as bad except you can easily escape that. you could have the wrath of god coming down on ness and his utilt would still win.

sandbaggers piss me off for another reason, its like their style becomes so normal I cant read it, thats more my problem then it is them.I cant stand playing against unoriginal standard styles.

4: forgot this, this communities "selective memory" as to who they've played and if they've lost to them. You know who you are. I've 4-5 stocked some of the best the 64 community has to offer, and they've done the same to me. But to deny me ever beating you...**** off.

in b4 butthurt, no johns, troll, troll'd etc 64's community sucks

B Link

Smash Lord
saying gg after every match is not courtesy, it's just a waste of time - just say ggs at the end of all the matches GASP?

also some people think that if you don't respond to their "gg" you are angry (say, if you lost) which is really annoying too.

to marthmaster, L2P ahahaharharhar

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
In my in-person 64 tournaments (Victoria, BC), I made Dreamland the only neutral (unless the two can agree on another starting stage).

But if you do want a discussion on making Hyrule a counterpick, make a new discussion topic. Lets keep this to pet peeves.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
why not use the game shark code, lulz, unless that still causes Desynches
i thought about this but the thing is...GS codes shouldn't be allowed...we only use them online to get things we can obtain fairly, on console...and then again no music cheat is nice...maybe i should be more specific

We shouldn't change anything that impacts the game....that we couldnt do without GS xP

plus the nado cheat i had was bugged..any time a nado was suppose to spawn, the FPS went down to 2-3 :|

NixxxoN

Smash Master
lol my tornado cheat is bugged but not in FPS, when you remove tornados, in Dreamland the fking wind is ALWAYS blowing -_____-

Superstar

Smash Champion
Despite me answering troll bait, no johns is a bit of a joke saying. Doesn't have to be elitist, though it can be used that way.

Personally I prefer using "Insert Random John here".

Tornado is pretty evil... bit 64 is lacking in neutraltype stages. DL and Kongo Jungle are the most neutral but Kongo Jungle bores me. >_>

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Tornado is pretty evil... bit 64 is lacking in neutraltype stages. DL and Kongo Jungle are the most neutral but Kongo Jungle bores me. >_>
Wtf Hyrule is neutral... Kongo jungle is not so good for combos but yeah neutral and its coolest thing is that you can go through the floor

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Here's another one: I call it something like "pre-johning."

Basically it's when you are about to face someone and they say "I suck you are gonna own me" or "I'm not gonna win I never use Yoshi." What does this accomplish? Well, if someone says that to you and you lose, you might feel pretty embarrassed. On the other hand, if you win, you feel like it doesn't matter at all since the person already said he sucked. I rarely actually care about winning but for some reason this can really frustrate me, especially if the person saying it is actually pretty good.

AlanCiTuAndPope20

Smash Journeyman
Things that bothered me and are still bothering me:

Pausing the game when I'm perfoming a combo.
Reseting the game.
Once one guy got crazy and unplugged my controller when I was doing a combo on him. That was something new but really annoying.Anyway I just kept myself in silence and stopped playing him and ran.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Wtf Hyrule is neutral... Kongo jungle is not so good for combos but yeah neutral and its coolest thing is that you can go through the floor
Hyrule is neutral, yeh, but only because SSB64 is lacking in stages.

If it was in Melee, it'd be counterpick, don't deny it.

Alan you LITERALLY ran? XD

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I have a friend who gets frustrated when I combo him and will sometimes pause the game to try and throw me off. I put up with it for a while, but now I simply put the controller down and walk away when he starts pulling that crap.

Hyrule annoys me for two reasons: **** tent camping and my own magical ability to jump into off-screen tornadoes at the very worst times. Actually, I just laugh at the latter, while the former makes me dread playing Hyrule against characters like Fox.

Oh, and gg after every game is kind of strange. Not really annoying, just strange.

AlanCiTuAndPope20

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule is neutral, yeh, but only because SSB64 is lacking in stages.

If it was in Melee, it'd be counterpick, don't deny it.

Alan you LITERALLY ran? XD
No,but it would have been the best to do. That guy seemed to scream when played me.Very noisy guy.That was completely annoying.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Here's another one: I call it something like "pre-johning."

Basically it's when you are about to face someone and they say "I suck you are gonna own me" or "I'm not gonna win I never use Yoshi." What does this accomplish? Well, if someone says that to you and you lose, you might feel pretty embarrassed. On the other hand, if you win, you feel like it doesn't matter at all since the person already said he sucked. I rarely actually care about winning but for some reason this can really frustrate me, especially if the person saying it is actually pretty good.
ohh I love prejohns XD

Skrlx

Smash Champion
things That Bothered Me And Are Still Bothering Me:

Pausing The Game When I'm Perfoming A Combo.
Reseting The Game.
Once One Guy Got Crazy And Unplugged My Controller When I Was Doing A Combo On Him. That Was Something New But Really Annoying.anyway I Just Kept Myself In Silence And Stopped Playing Him And Ran.
Hahahahahaa

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I seem to be out of the loop. I've been trying to figure out what exactly "johning" is and mostly failing. Can someone explain it for me?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
A john is an excuse, like "you won because you (insert excuse here)", or something to that effect.

e.g.
Some random noob: "you won because you spam grabs"
Pika or DK etc. player: "NO JOHNS!!!"

other examples of johns:

I haven't played this game for 6 months
I'm using keyboard
You're using keyboard (lol yes, I've seen both)
Any complaints of you using a higher tier character, counterpicking their character, anything.

If it's an excuse, it's a John.

As for the creation of the term... well... I think we can put 2 and 2 together...

Warning: Make sure people named John know of the term and it's use. I am not responsible if anyone named John sees "No Johns" in the tournament rules and does not attend the tournament, or gets offended when told "No Johns". Use this term responsibly and respectfully. For more information, please call toll free at 1-800-665-6467. And remember:

NO JOHNS!!!!!

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Reseting the game.
I see this happen a lot in your videos when you win, and it even pisses ME off to watch it happen. I hate hearing "NO CONTEST" when a match has ended. People can be such sore losers. But that guy unplugging your controller? :laugh: :laugh: I don't know if I would be laughing or seriously angry if that happened. Generally all the people I play on console, whether winning or losing, are good sports.

Pre-johning I hear often from good players but I don't feel bad because depending on who they are, I generally know if I'll win or not anyway. I don't always know, though.

I also know some people in person who pre AND post-john, they aren't too serious about it though so it's more comical than anything.

I know a Melee player who will john when he loses, but then comes back for a rematch and completely owns the opponent who just beat him. Maybe johning has some sort of psychological power we haven't tapped into yet?!? (Actually this guy is killer at Melee, but still! )

vandwedge

Smash Cadet
how about when people get mad at you for desynching

as if you did it on purpose

and as if it's never happened to them before

Top Bottom