• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Personal Opinions on Characters?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I don’t know if this is a hot take or not but I think the ICs will be viable in about a year or so. Just seeing what they’re capable with some of the desync combos already out there and the zero to deaths they have makes me think they have enormous potential that’s largely untapped. I could be completely wrong and they could stay irrelevant and get no dedicated player base and be too much work for what they’re worth but I see a character with a lot of potential. And I know we talked about potential today in the competive character thread but it’s the most fitting word I could come up with to describe them

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
Donkey Kong and Ness are at least low A tier. They just benefit from the engine and got a lot of buffs.

Shulk and Pokemon Trainer are high tier, no more no less.

Ken is a well rounded character, no one just wants to play him.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am gonna post opinion about as many characters as I can before I get bored;

:ultdiddy:: My main, and although he's worse than ever, he can still wreck up damage well, and has a solid kit with great frame data. However, he's not as good on shields as before, and struggles to land grabs, which is his main tool to getting easy advantage. Banana > F Smash is still powerful, but predictable. He also got a bad disadvantage, which is now worse with his nerfed recovery. He's one of those characters that need a constant flow of being in advantage to be effective. Luckily he's got the speed to help him with this. Not as good as before, but am enjoying him still.
:ultdk:: Probably around as good as he was in Smash 4, which is great. I like the great ape. He probably has the most viable options to kill, and improved aerials make playing him way easier. He's good, but has polarizing matchups. He can beat some characters better than him, but due to being big and easy to combo, he struggles against zoners of any sort.

And that's it. Am already bored.

Sorry.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
Doc is actually pretty darn good at mid-level play, maybe even tournament viable against characters with weak offstage edgeguarding, though obviously I wouldn't say he could be solo-mained. That being said, I think he's the most fun "heavy" that isn't heavy, next to Ridley.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
I have a question, why is it that people keep saying that Young Link is better than Toon Link, when Toon Link is faster on ground, faster in air, kills earlier, camps harder and lives longer? Is it just the amount of attacks Young Link can throw out and his faster falling speed? leading to easier combo's?

They also keeps mentioning Young Link's arrows, because he can shoot them faster, but Toon Link pulls bombs faster which are used to setup kills for both parties, making it that much easier for Toon Link.

What exactly am i missing here? or is this just a case of character bias.

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
I have a question, why is it that people keep saying that Young Link is better than Toon Link, when Toon Link is faster on ground, faster in air, kills earlier, camps harder and lives longer? Is it just the amount of attacks Young Link can throw out and his faster falling speed? leading to easier combo's?

They also keeps mentioning Young Link's arrows, because he can shoot them faster, but Toon Link pulls bombs faster which are used to setup kills for both parties, making it that much easier for Toon Link.

What exactly am i missing here? or is this just a case of character bias.
So Toon Link, right? Tink has some better stuff, like his bombs, but Yink's bombs do all the same things and because Young Link has barely any lag on his moves, kill-confirms are even easier. The main difference between Tink and Yink is that Tink has a much more linear neutral game, because since Yink has so much less lag, as you've said, he has way more options. Also Tink's bombs are his only good projectile, although his boomerang is good, Yink's is better because it can kill-confirm. Also Yink can punish you for jumping with short hop arrows, and can confirm off of those. And when I mention little lag, I mean way less lag. Fair has 4 frames of endlag. 4. Neutral Air also has 4 frames endlag and Bair has 7. Yink can literally just throw out moves and have them be safe, which Toon Link can't do. There's also the fact that Yink's Dair is way better than Tink's, and his faster falling speed means he's harder to juggle than Tink, which is huge in Ultimate. It all comes down to options, because while Yink has trouble killing now, later on in the meta he's going to keep on getting better due to having so many options that Tink just doesn't have.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
So Toon Link, right? Tink has some better stuff, like his bombs, but Yink's bombs do all the same things and because Young Link has barely any lag on his moves, kill-confirms are even easier. The main difference between Tink and Yink is that Tink has a much more linear neutral game, because since Yink has so much less lag, as you've said, he has way more options. Also Tink's bombs are his only good projectile, although his boomerang is good, Yink's is better because it can kill-confirm. Also Yink can punish you for jumping with short hop arrows, and can confirm off of those. And when I mention little lag, I mean way less lag. Fair has 4 frames of endlag. 4. Neutral Air also has 4 frames endlag and Bair has 7. Yink can literally just throw out moves and have them be safe, which Toon Link can't do. There's also the fact that Yink's Dair is way better than Tink's, and his faster falling speed means he's harder to juggle than Tink, which is huge in Ultimate. It all comes down to options, because while Yink has trouble killing now, later on in the meta he's going to keep on getting better due to having so many options that Tink just doesn't have.
Tink's boomerang confirms into forward air and up B for kills, actually. Plus his up B kills alarmingly early on the ground near ledge, whereas Yink's only sets up for 50-50s at kill percentages (though anywhere on stage). Don't evem get me started on the fact that Tink has a ridiculous fsmash now. Personally, I think Tink is just about as good as Yink overall, though I think they have different matchup spreads. Yink might be like, *right* above him in a year's time in a world without balance patches. These are just my opinions though. Seriously about Tink's spin attack though, go try that along with boomerang to cover ledge options and watch it kill superheavies at like 120 with decent DI. It's uncanny.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
I wouldn't say toon link's bomb is his only good projectile. And wouldn't young link be easier to juggle because of his falling speed? since the game is overall faster? But I do think i get what your saying, that Young Link might have room to grow because he has a higher skill ceiling but i just find it hard to believe that Young Link is better when usually better mobility+early kills+survivability means better character. If Young Link could gimp better my argument would be mute though. But just having the ability to throw out attacks faster wouldn't make Young Link the better character otherwise Sheik would be a better character too.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
I, personally, think that people are giving King K. Rool too much credit. Sure, he's good, but he's not broken.
What about you guys?
This didn't age well. You also gave K Rool too much credit.

Last edited:

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Personal opinion:
Yoshi is the best character in the game. :ultyoshi: :yoshi:

In terms of tier lists, he may not be at the very top, but people say that in Ultimate he's still a good character. More top-level players should play as him (there ought to be more Yoshi players).

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If the sword characters ever get nerfed, Yoshi will be top tier.
Not too sure because Yoshi still loses to Top Tiers as Fox, Wolf, Palutena, Snake, and probably Pikachu and Pichu. I can see Yoshi doing well against Peach, Olimar or Inklings, but not the others. I believe he also loses to Diddy now, and the Links.

Top Bottom