• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perfect Pivot D-Tilt

Saint Shaden 009

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SAIN#490
So, I can already say that I'm pretty sure this is a good option. The only issue I have is that it seems rather difficult to do, as the d-tilt input after the PP is kinda strict.

Is it just one of those things you need to grind out or is there any trick to it?

EDIT: So, let me rephrase the question. Are there any tricks for getting the dtilt specifically out more consistently?

I can PP just fine (it's honestly a super easy tech). I can PP everything consistently, but PP d-tilt and PP u-tilt are just kinda hard. I honestly think I just gotta put, like, a couple hours of practice in and I'll get it fine.

For those who haven't seen it in action, check out Neo's Roy (or his Marth or Lucina as he does it with all three)

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
So, I can already say that I'm pretty sure this is a good option. The only issue I have is that it seems rather difficult to do, as the d-tilt input after the PP is kinda strict.

Is it just one of those things you need to grind out or is there any trick to it?

For those who haven't seen it in action, check out Neo's Roy (or his Marth or Lucina as he does it with all three)
Perfect Pivoting is a amazing tech that is probably the tech of the future. It requires practice. Enough practice that it becomes muscle memory.

The Dtilt part isn't nearly as hard as the PP. You learn how to PP, and then you learn how to PP into moves. C-stick is your friend in these scenarios.

The usefulness of PP Dtilt is large. Spacing, Shieldpoking and more. No downside to it basically.

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
ask fox mains (no i'm serious) those guys are perfect pivot masters and can give you tips so you'll have easier time doing this
go ask them at a local or something.

i'm sure there's alot of fox/roy mains here help this guy out

(i'm having a bit too much fun;))

Saint Shaden 009

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SAIN#490
So, let me rephrase the question.
Are there any tricks for getting the dtilt specifically out more consistently?

I can PP just fine (it's honestly a super easy tech). I can PP everything consistently, but PP d-tilt and PP u-tilt are just kinda hard. I honestly think I just gotta put, like, a couple hours of practice in and I'll get it fine.

Last edited:

Pedker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pedker
3DS FC
1203-9337-2184
If your c-stick isn't set to "attack," then you might want to consider it for this. using the c-stick for tilts makes PP down tilts much easier. On top of that, it also sets up-tilt and forward-tilt to a single input, which is important as they are kill moves.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Note that NEO isn't always using a perfect pivot to get the dtilt. At some times (like 2:15) he's actually doing a Melee style true pivoting into it. (Not sure if "true pivoting" would be the correct term here...in previous smash games we would just call it a "pivot", but that gets confusing with various smash4 techniques using the word.) Rather than start a dash and then cancel into turn around (IE perfect pivot), NEO is instead doing a full dash, starting up a second dash, cancelling the start of that dash into a dash in the other direction, and then inputting a dtilt in the one frame between dash transitions where a character is standing in normal animation.

Melee style pivots aren't as useful in Smash4, since dash dancing isn't a thing, but Roy could probably get good mileage out of foxtrotting around and using Melee pivots to dtilt in the middle of that. Personally I've found it easier than PPing, but I've also put alooooot more time into Melee style pivots, so I guess its really up to you which one you want to utilize.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
I think it's important to identify that like Sethlon said that NEO is doing the melee style of Pivoting out of a foxtrot. Also well I think PP D-Tilt is invaluable, if you don't play the NEO way (defensive and very stand off relying on Frame Traps) you won't get a ton of millage off it/roy won't use it unless it's a MU where he is constantly running back and trying to control a set space it won't be brought out. As for the PP D-Tilts NEO does when he's trying to snuff out approaches you'll just need to grind it out. A-Stick is basically required. Just PP D-Tilt across Big Battlefield for awhile.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Hmm, I was under the impression that PP, while not crucial, still has a positive effect on your gameplay one way or another since it is another option overall. To answer the OP's question, yeah, setting C-stick to attack will make PP Dtilts easier to preform, like others have said. I've been practising perfect pivoting 1-2 hours every day for about a week now. And while I'm not consistent (I could do like 5-7 until I mess up), I think I only need a few more days of practice until I could pull them off consistently (my dexterity isn't the best lol). A lot of it is just muscle memory and getting the timing right.

Don't stop, don't give up! :teeth:

Top Bottom