• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perfect Pivot Crouch Cancel and Mewtwo

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Just saw this moments ago on Reddit. Here's the link to a gif showing it in action:

http://m.imgur.com/USOW1qa

Alternate gifv link:

https://i.imgur.com/USOW1qa.gifv

And here's a link to the discussion thread for it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/41ykck/new_smash_4_tech_perfect_pivot_crouch_dash/

Essentially, inputting crouch right after a perfect pivot allows your character to slide along the ground. In practice, it works much like Wavedashing in Melee, allowing you to approach with shield, Dtilt (!!!), and all the other things you can do with PP.

This is probably difficult to pull off, but could this be a top-tier tech for Mewtwo mains to practice?

Alternate input method that makes this easier to do, but makes fade-away aerials harder:

This is a tech the jp found on top of a tech called "強化TANIステ" aka Improved Perfect Pivot.
All the info below is what I read from a japanese wiki page on smash 4 ATs, so it may be incorrect. I'll test it when I have the chance.
To do the "Improved PPivot", you need to set c-stick to special, turn off A+B smash. First you need to setup by holding b somehow. The easiest way would be hold shield or start holding b during a roll. Now that you're holding B, do a dash, and right after you input dash input c-stick backwards (so if you dash to the right, input c-stick left).
This allows you to cancel the dash and turn around. From there if you crouch, you end up sliding.
The act of holding B while having c-stick set to special, makes the c-stick input into a 1F Pivot instead of a special attack. This technique is called "Bidoujyutsu" by the Japanese players.
I can go on if interested.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
That is actually pretty cool. I doubt it will be used as much as Wavedashing but that definately is a nice tech to know.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I can see Fox and Shiek mains using this but characters like Mewtwo using this especially in High level play I seriously doubt it...still looks cool though

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Here is the link to the whole video, it is a series of techs utilizing the C-stick and regular stick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avr9CQlSqRI
FIOD said that it is just PP-crouch. It slides a bit apparently, but other then that, I don't think it is too different. You can do everything he did out of a regular PP, this tech should just make it a bit easier. Also, if you can PP, this won't be hard.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I can see Fox and Shiek mains using this but characters like Mewtwo using this especially in High level play I seriously doubt it...still looks cool though
I must ask, why do you feel this would not be useful to Mewtwo players? The first thing I thought when I saw this was, "this looks useful."

So many of the Smash 4 techs have looked pointless. This one actually looks, to me, like something that would greatly benefit the metagame.

Mewtwo has a nice dash speed, he slides pretty far, and his Dtilt is amazing. To me, it seems like it is perfect. However, I'd like people to try it out and report on the results.

Sonicninja115

The uses for PP are Dtilt, Utilt, Shield and grab mainly. PP-Shield is amazing for microspacing and shielding at a safe distance. Dtilt is great for punishing a grounded approach and Utilt an aerial. Grab is pretty obvious. This tech also makes you Crouch, allowing CC to come into affect. While this may not seem like much, it makes it a bit safer at high percents. I have a vid about CC coming out later.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I must ask, why do you feel this would not be useful to Mewtwo players? The first thing I thought when I saw this was, "this looks useful."

So many of the Smash 4 techs have looked pointless. This one actually looks, to me, like something that would greatly benefit the metagame.

Mewtwo has a nice dash speed, he slides pretty far, and his Dtilt is amazing. To me, it seems like it is perfect. However, I'd like people to try it out and report on the results.
I never said it isn't useful. I simply stated that I doubt we'll see High level players Use this tech especially in tournaments. All this tech is, is crouching after Perfect pivoting and to some extent holds similarities to a wavedash but it isn't.

The uses for PP are Dtilt, Utilt, Shield and grab mainly. PP-Shield is amazing for microspacing and shielding at a safe distance. Dtilt is great for punishing a grounded approach and Utilt an aerial. Grab is pretty obvious. This tech also makes you Crouch, allowing CC to come into affect. While this may not seem like much, it makes it a bit safer at high percents. I have a vid about CC coming out later.
All valid points and obviously are useful, but like i said above I doubt it will be used a lot in the competitive/tournament scene. I may just eat my words and soon every pro smash 4 player will use it, but as it currently stands it's highly unlikely. With all that being said I can barely pull off a perfect Pivot but when I get the hang of it i'll definitely hit the lab and practice this tech myself

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I don't know if you guys read correctly but it requires a very specific button mapping.

You have to have Stick set to Special, turn off A+B Smash and you either need to make a Shoulder button Special or do a Claw Grip.

Then you have to hold Special button and input Left Stick + Right Stick (opposite direction) + Left Stick (Downwards). The timing is actually quite forgiving and easy to do. After about 10 minutes of practice I can already do it about 80% of the time consistently.

Getting a frame perfect punish that isn't D-Tilt out of it is extremely hard though (although that shouldn't matter much for Mewtwo). Any other punish (jab, dash grab, tilt or smashes) I feel I could get just as fast doing a regular PP which doesn't require me to change my stick.

I am skeptical about what uses this technique has that PP can't achieve. I don't really see many uses apart from slightly faster reactions with slightly longer dashes. Maybe I am wrong and something awesome will come out of this but until then my Stick set to Tilts is really important to me.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I don't know if you guys read correctly but it requires a very specific button mapping.

You have to have Stick set to Special, turn off A+B Smash and you either need to make a Shoulder button Special or do a Claw Grip.

Then you have to hold Special button and input Left Stick + Right Stick (opposite direction) + Left Stick (Downwards). The timing is actually quite forgiving and easy to do. After about 10 minutes of practice I can already do it about 80% of the time consistently.

Getting a frame perfect punish that isn't D-Tilt out of it is extremely hard though (although that shouldn't matter much for Mewtwo). Any other punish (jab, dash grab, tilt or smashes) I feel I could get just as fast doing a regular PP which doesn't require me to change my stick.

I am skeptical about what uses this technique has that PP can't achieve. I don't really see many uses apart from slightly faster reactions with slightly longer dashes. Maybe I am wrong and something awesome will come out of this but until then my Stick set to Tilts is really important to me.
Well all you really need is to set the B button to one of the triggers. I'm not sure if all of the other stuff is even needed. In the video I watched he changed around a lot of buttons which didn't seem necessary to me. The technique actually makes perfect pivots brain dead easy. I fooled around with it for a bit. Not sure if I ever got the crouch thing down but it's whatever. I may fool around with it on the side since it maybe something that can be useful for mewtwo. I like the pivot dtilt that looked amazing.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Well all you really need is to set the B button to one of the triggers. I'm not sure if all of the other stuff is even needed. In the video I watched he changed around a lot of buttons which didn't seem necessary to me. The technique actually makes perfect pivots brain dead easy. I fooled around with it for a bit. Not sure if I ever got the crouch thing down but it's whatever. I may fool around with it on the side since it maybe something that can be useful for mewtwo. I like the pivot dtilt that looked amazing.
You need the stick on Special too, no? If you don't then I can already do this with my current configuration.

Setting a Shoulder button to Special isn't that big of a deal since I use a Wii U Pro I even already have it that way (I like to have a designated finger per action). Tbe big deal is losing my Tilt Stick.

The A+B Smash turned off is so that you don't get a Smash when you input a tilt/jab out of the slide. It is quite necessary if you want frame perfect tilts/jabs. In the same way you WILL need Tap Jump off if you want frame percect U-Tilts out of the slide (but I already had it off anyways).

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Pp>to grab pp>shield pp>SB so many options
PP has always existed and has been known since day 1 though. This new crouch is just allowing you to extend the slide a little more, it doesn't do anything else (I guess it shortens your hurtbox, but Mewtwo is so big anyways that I don't think that really applies to him).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
You need the stick on Special too, no? If you don't then I can already do this with my current configuration.

Setting a Shoulder button to Special isn't that big of a deal since I use a Wii U Pro I even already have it that way (I like to have a designated finger per action). Tbe big deal is losing my Tilt Stick.

The A+B Smash turned off is so that you don't get a Smash when you input a tilt/jab out of the slide. It is quite necessary if you want frame perfect tilts/jabs. In the same way you WILL need Tap Jump off if you want frame percect U-Tilts out of the slide (but I already had it off anyways).
Yeah you need bstick and then B for one of the triggers. It basically an brain dead way tp perfect pivot. I already have most of that stuff off anyways so I didn't take it into account. The problem I see with it is just being forced to b stick its weird not having your cstick set to smash or attacks.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
PP has always existed and has been known since day 1 though. This new crouch is just allowing you to extend the slide a little more, it doesn't do anything else (I guess it shortens your hurtbox, but Mewtwo is so big anyways that I don't think that really applies to him).
OK don't know Y I need to know these

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yeah you need bstick and then B for one of the triggers. It basically an brain dead way tp perfect pivot. I already have most of that stuff off anyways so I didn't take it into account. The problem I see with it is just being forced to b stick its weird not having your cstick set to smash or attacks.
Yea I also have all the other setting and I even have Special set to a Shoulder Button already. But setting my stick to Special seems like too much for me.

It is basically just a super easy way to perform Perfect Tilts.

OK don't know Y I need to know these
I was just saying these options have always been there but no one has been using them. Everyone is hype because of this new "crouch slide" but this has been known for a while.

This doesn't mean you're wrong, there's obviously a lot of new options and possibilities that open up if you learn this, but those options have always been there, it's just no one has bothered to practice them.

I guess you didn't say "new" anywhere in your post, maybe I just misread what you meant.

Sonicninja115

Yea I also have all the other setting and I even have Special set to a Shoulder Button already. But setting my stick to Special seems like too much for me.

It is basically just a super easy way to perform Perfect Tilts.

I was just saying these options have always been there but no one has been using them. Everyone is hype because of this new "crouch slide" but this has been known for a while.

This doesn't mean you're wrong, there's obviously a lot of new options and possibilities that open up if you learn this, but those options have always been there, it's just no one has bothered to practice them.

I guess you didn't say "new" anywhere in your post, maybe I just misread what you meant.
What's hilarious is how all the good things in the vid are largely ignored. Have you seen the whole thing? The C-stick opens up sooooo many movement options. It allows for a much faster and easier instant ledge snap. A rather fast fall-back wall jump. Easier Movement AT's and quite a few other things.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I'm going to practise this solely because it looks flashy. : )
(Don't care if it's practical or not, at least i'll look fab)

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
are we sure this crouch at the end of the perfect pivot does anything at all? In the original gif, fox's pivots were actually shorter than normal. They just were slower so it looked like he slid further. I tested this for mewtwo and found nothing useful about it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Think about the possibilities! Perfect Pivot Crouch Cancel into taunts!

SHOW ME YOUR (psychic) MOVES! :4mewtwo:
If you think about it, Mewtwo has a few similarities to Falcon. Small, hard-hitting fair, larger spacing bair, juggling uairs, strong meteor dairs and disjointed dash attacks.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
are we sure this crouch at the end of the perfect pivot does anything at all? In the original gif, fox's pivots were actually shorter than normal. They just were slower so it looked like he slid further. I tested this for mewtwo and found nothing useful about it.
According to other, respectable sources, (I haven't tested myself), the crouch makes you slide more but it's char dependant. I don't know for sure though, and even if it does make you slide more I don't think it's such a noticeable difference.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
According to other, respectable sources, (I haven't tested myself), the crouch makes you slide more but it's char dependant. I don't know for sure though, and even if it does make you slide more I don't think it's such a noticeable difference.
Ill make a video of all the characters and post it before the week ends I guess. I wanted to do one on varying pp PIVOT lengths anyway.

Guess I asked for that one MOI-ARI MOI-ARI

Last edited:

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
With special set to c stick, try pp back to down b (using the cstick obviously). I do this all the time and people fall for it since it is totally unexpected. Too bad down b cannot be reversed to do this offensively forward

Last edited:
Top Bottom