• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People Stop Playing from Lag

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
Can someone explain this? All too often I encounter this. Once the game pauses for lag for a little bit, once it returns to normal they just stand there and refuse to keep playing. You do realize EVERY online game experiences lag issues at some point, correct? Why are you even bothering to play an online mode if you can't handle the occasional lag hiccup? It would be like if during TF2 I experienced lag and I just shut down the entire game. And I'm not talking about the matches that look like stop motion the connection is so bad, I'm talking about you make it 2 minutes into a match lag free and then the game pauses for a good 5 seconds for some connection issue and you refuse to stop playing like some weird baby throwing a tantrum.

Can someone enlighten me on this weird behavior? It's almost like an entitlement issue, like some brat storming out of the grocery store with no food because they have to wait in line for a few minutes to check out.

Khao

Smash Lord
like some weird baby throwing a tantrum
like an entitlement issue, like some brat storming out of the grocery store with no food because they have to wait in line for a few minutes to check out.
This is why I can't take assumptions about your opponent and "offended" people seriously in online Smash.

Your opponent probably disconnected.

You're not even playing against a human anymore.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
What the heck OP? Why are you so upset about Disconnecting people or them "giving up" in your mindset?

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
They might've disconnected and you're now facing a CPU. I myself don't do this: if I want to stop playing, I SD. Lag in slow motion is annoying but the worst is input lag. If it gets over one second, I'll SD right at the start of the match, no questions asked.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
I thought common lag courtesy is to wait until the lag goes away. I certainly pause when there's a hiccup.

JustBeingZack

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zack66775
I thought common lag courtesy is to wait until the lag goes away. I certainly pause when there's a hiccup.
You're awesome. +1

Can someone explain this? All too often I encounter this. Once the game pauses for lag for a little bit, once it returns to normal they just stand there and refuse to keep playing. You do realize EVERY online game experiences lag issues at some point, correct? Why are you even bothering to play an online mode if you can't handle the occasional lag hiccup? It would be like if during TF2 I experienced lag and I just shut down the entire game. And I'm not talking about the matches that look like stop motion the connection is so bad, I'm talking about you make it 2 minutes into a match lag free and then the game pauses for a good 5 seconds for some connection issue and you refuse to stop playing like some weird baby throwing a tantrum.

Can someone enlighten me on this weird behavior? It's almost like an entitlement issue, like some brat storming out of the grocery store with no food because they have to wait in line for a few minutes to check out.
As to you, if you aren't doing anything disrespectful or take advantage of the person then you shouldn't worry about it. Somebody mentioned above that disconnections happen and you could very well just be fighting air. remember that there's always another match and just don't let it get to you. Try playing people not on "For Glory" too.

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
Sounds like the person was disconnected and you are playing a CPU. If they just stand there and only throw out a couple of moves after they've been hit then it's a low level CPU. If the game stops and the smash logo appears on the bottom of the screen then it's almost a guarantee someone got dropped.

What usually happens to me is I play 2-4 games with someone where the connection is good then all of the sudden we experience lag. I assume it's someone at the other person's house using the internet. I reset to neutral and jump up and down until the lag is manageable. I jump because it's pretty easy to tell if there is lag by how quickly my character lands. If it's unbearable I'll taunt and SD. I don't mind a little lag and I'll finish the game, but after that I'm leaving. Why would I stay in a game with lag when I know I can find someone else with a great connection in about 45 seconds? It's not being entitled it's wanting to have fun, and too much lag ruins the flow of the match.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't get what's the big deal about people disconnecting from you. I mean if they do that cuz they know they'll lose or whatever, then that's their damn problem. Another reason why they would disconnect is probably because they have something important to do and they have to leave. I mean there are more important things in life than playing video games, right?

As far as the lag goes, if the match freezes up, you can choose to play through it or just SD. Either way, I just leave and look for someone else with a decent internet connection.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Either it's you or them. I don't care about lag unless it's bad. The most common bad lag I always leave from is 4 player FF & FG.

Astellius

Smash Ace
This sounds like the person disconnected from the match. The game attempts to restore connection for a few seconds, and, if it can't, a low-level computer fills in for the rest of the match. The "person" refusing to play is basically just a ******** computer, probably just level 3 AI. So, yeah, it's pretty docile and doesn't do much. Just kill it and move on. It's not a person throwing a hissy fit because of a lag hiccup, it's that the person is no longer there.

POKEGAMERZ

Smash Rookie
My gosh I really hate when that happens. Today I was playing SSB for 3DS online and I VS'ed someone online while using Ryu and the game kept lagging till I received a message saying that a communication error has occurred. Now I know how all of you feel when you have to deal with the annoying lag that ruins the gameplay for us.

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
i dont see why them giving you the match bothers you so much. and honestly to me in a game like smash 5 seconds of just sitting there staring at nothing happenin feels like forever but thats just my inpatient side i guess hah

as stated yeah they probably left and you are fighting a level 1 computer aka they shut off wifi connections, shut the 3ds/ turned it off, or just straight got kicked due do some connnection issues (been happening to me more after the patch the every before) just beat the cpu real quick take the w and look for someone else.

as for playin in constant lag ill just give up the game and take both stocks myself to leave the game without that wait time you get for goin back to the main menu. and i dont know if its a real thing but i honestly believe in momentum in smash like once you start getting hits off and being able to juggle and keep the opponent from touching you (vice versa not being able to land a hit) so sure that lag spike may only be 5 seconds but that could set everything back to neutral or completely change the course of the match. hell you could even sd trying to recover out of a lag spike. example i main sonic so when im goin in for side-b to neutral air but it lags right before im supposed to jump and making me jump too early (or sometimes too late depending on circumstances) thus messing up everything potentially a game winner. respecting my opponent and really not liking to play in lag ill stand at one side of the map until its over and jump jab or just do something like as an are you ready?

to close this out i guess, you state lag in tf2 well yeah theres most the time lag in online games but in fighting games like mortal kombat, injustice, and smash of course it is alot more of a problem because most of the time its 1v1 and depending on timing precision and skill (skill really doesnt matter in this though) and with lag it can hinder 2 of the 3. i get what your trying to say but your example was like comparing potatoes to weeds yes they both grow in the ground but one is alot more of a problem than the other and sure that wasnt that good of an example either since it kinda sayin lag in shooters is good but hopefully you get what i mean XD

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
I was un-aware that it becomes filled by a CPU. I always just thought it was someone throwing a tantrum going "why even bother playing if there's any lag issues?" and refusing to fight. Learn something new every day on here.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
My gosh I really hate when that happens. Today I was playing SSB for 3DS online and I VS'ed someone online while using Ryu and the game kept lagging till I received a message saying that a communication error has occurred. Now I know how all of you feel when you have to deal with the annoying lag that ruins the gameplay for us.
I believe if you're the one who gets the "a communication error has occurred." message, some time after the reconnecting pause or whatever you want to call it, you were the one who disconnected from your opponent, not the other way around. I've been hit with those reconnecting moments many times, however, I'm not the guy who gets the message.

Recently, I did receive those messages and it was clear it was me because Comcast has its moments of not working (I'm usually on the computer while I'm playing Smash, so I was able to tell.)

Top Bottom