• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People SD'ing excessively against megaman?

Darulio

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this thread has been made on this board before, but...

I recently decided to try out megaman online, and about 3/4 matches the opponent will realize that, yes, i will keep hitting them with lemons if they space poorly, whiff, or stand there and eat them, and then proceed to SD to make me feel bad for playing projectile man. Even if I start playing more close ranged, or ledgeguard with aerials, or short hop aerial for my approach, bads on for glory seem to just... hate mega man.

Has anyone else noticed this trend? I only get this from playing luigi if I dominate somebody (unlikely)

Gamecube

Smash Cadet
I have never seen this before, but sometimes if I'm stupid and SD the other player will also SD because they feel bad

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I see it all the time. Just take the W and move on.

Mega man really isn't that cheesy... Not sure why they get worked up

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Some people SD against me. When they do it makes me feel good for playing well and at the same time feel bad for them for being poor sports.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
i have over 300 matches in FG and not one of them SD. its kind of funny how some people think megaman is cheap and campy when he really isn't.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
My personal favorite is when Little Mac players think we're cheap. : )

(not saying little mac is cheap because I don't think he is... just saying they don't have all that much room to talk)

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I'll be honest: I get a tiny thrill whenever I successfully make a bad rage quit. The cheaper the bad's tactics (Link/Samus roll and projectile spamming, Little Mac flow charting, Zelda/Palutena stalling the entire match in order to eke out a win in Sudden Death), the better.

My favorites are when I get a gimp KO at <30% with LS and my opponent, bewildered at what just happened, just gives up and walks his next stock off the stage.

Darulio

Smash Rookie
I'll be honest: I get a tiny thrill whenever I successfully make a bad rage quit. The cheaper the bad's tactics (Link/Samus roll and projectile spamming, Little Mac flow charting, Zelda/Palutena stalling the entire match in order to eke out a win in Sudden Death), the better.

My favorites are when I get a gimp KO at <30% with LS and my opponent, bewildered at what just happened, just gives up and walks his next stock off the stage.
I don't mind bads suiciding on me, but I hate when I finally find somebody decent who just ragequits when I pick megaman.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I've only gotten one SD like that. I think I just got a very casual player who didn't want to have anything to do with this nonsense. lol

The only time I SD myself is the few times where the lag or input lag is just that bad, I'd rather eat the loss than force myself to play something so insanely uncomfortable but that's just me.

And that's if it's just that bad. Most of the time it's fine.

Last edited:

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
i have over 300 matches in FG and not one of them SD. its kind of funny how some people think megaman is cheap and campy when he really isn't.
He's probably one of the most campy characters on the roster lol.
I've only gotten one SD like that. I think I just got a very casual player who didn't want to have anything to do with this nonsense. lol

The only time I SD myself is the few times where the lag or input lag is just that bad, I'd rather eat the loss than force myself to play something so insanely uncomfortable but that's just me.

And that's if it's just that bad. Most of the time it's fine.
I do it all the time. Probably why my W/L ratio is so low

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I get them on occasion. I just let them SD and then leave (if they don't first which they usually do).
My last For Glory run had me face someone who, after losing match 1, switched to Rosalina in attempt to shut down my projectile game but that just kept getting her grabbed. They then switched to Fox in an attempt to reflect my projectile game. That also kept getting him grabbed...

K-45

Smash Journeyman
He's probably one of the most campy characters on the roster lol
Let me explain for a bit he's not really a campy characters he's more of a run and gun man. He can't just sit on the edge of the stage and throw metal blades and crash bombs to in. If u really want to look into campy characters or characters that can be campy look at samus, lucaro, villager, duck hunt, link, toon link, and R.O.B. all the characters listed above can win just by sitting at the edge of a stage.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
Let me explain for a bit he's not really a campy characters he's more of a run and gun man. He can't just sit on the edge of the stage and throw metal blades and crash bombs to in. If u really want to look into campy characters or characters that can be campy look at samus, lucaro, villager, duck hunt, link, toon link, and R.O.B. all the characters listed above can win just by sitting at the edge of a stage.
Well Megaman can do all that too lol. In fact, he probably does it beter than all the characters, except ROB, DHD, and maybe Villager. Besides I lurk through forums and see people complaining that their character is being zoned out by Megaman.

Last edited:

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Well Megaman can do all that too lol. In fact, he probably does it beter than all the characters, except ROB, DHD, and maybe Villager. Besides I lurk through forums and see people complaining that their character is being zoned out by Megaman.
I think the problem here is that we need to establish there is a significant difference between "camping" and "zoning."

@ speedguy20 speedguy20 You mentioned other people complaining they're being "zoned out" by Megaman. "Zoning" =\= "Camping"

When people talk about "zoning" they usually mean keeping within a very specific distance from a character. With Megaman, that distance is usually the maximum range his pellets can travel. It takes a certain amount of skill to constantly keep an opponent within that distance while both players maneuver back and forth across the stage.

It certainly takes a lot more effort than "camping" which is basically standing on one edge of the stage and firing the same few projectiles as a method of winning. This type of "camping" can't even be done by Megaman effectively, considering how much lag there is between his Pellets/B special moves, how easily they can be defended against, and probably most importantly, how little knockback these moves have.

Projectile camping can be so effective because the projectile in question usually have a significant knockback to them. Lucario's Aura Spheres, Samus' missiles and Neutral B, Link's arrows/boomerangs, all of these moves push the opponent back at mid-high percents, in addition to having little ending lag so they can quickly charge up while the opponent was pushed away by their previous projectile and throw another projectile.

The only projectiles with knockback that Megaman has is Crashbomb and Forward Smash. Crash Bomb is nearly impossible to projectile spam with because:
1. It must attach to the opponent successfully. (It's not too difficult to protect oneself against)
2. It must detonate successfully (and there's many ways to protect oneself against an attached crash bomb).
3. Only one Crash Bomb can be fired at a time.
4. There is pretty good ending lag between this and the next special button input.

Forward Smash cannot be spammed because of it's huge ending lag, which if whiffed, will receive heavy punishment.

Metal Blade is probably the one move that can be 'spammed' but even then, the opponent has ways to prevent this by catching it out of mid-air and holding onto it. And just like crash bomb, there can only be one out at a time.

Pellets can also be "spammed" but they only have one trajectory: straight ahead. They also disappear about 3 character lengths away and don't have much knockback at all, unless it's nair's sweetspot.
This means that an opponent can take a more vertical aerial approach towards a Megaman who consistently uses pellets and get in this way. Some can even just push through the lemons and get to Megaman anyways.

TL;DR

None of Megaman's projectile moves have the characteristics that let Megaman stay on the edge and spam. Camping on the edge will almost definitely not win Megaman the match.

Any Megaman must skillfully zone a certain distance away from the opponent during most of the match if they want a solid chance at winning, and this takes far more skill than camping at the edge.

Last edited:

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
I think the problem here is that we need to establish there is a significant difference between "camping" and "zoning."

@ speedguy20 speedguy20 You mentioned other people complaining they're being "zoned out" by Megaman. "Zoning" =\= "Camping"

When people talk about "zoning" they usually mean keeping within a very specific distance from a character. With Megaman, that distance is usually the maximum range his pellets can travel. It takes a certain amount of skill to constantly keep an opponent within that distance while both players maneuver back and forth across the stage.

It certainly takes a lot more effort than "camping" which is basically standing on one edge of the stage and firing the same few projectiles as a method of winning. This type of "camping" can't even be done by Megaman effectively, considering how much lag there is between his Pellets/B special moves, how easily they can be defended against, and probably most importantly, how little knockback these moves have.

Projectile camping can be so effective because the projectile in question usually have a significant knockback to them. Lucario's Aura Spheres, Samus' missiles and Neutral B, Link's arrows/boomerangs, all of these moves push the opponent back at mid-high percents, in addition to having little ending lag so they can quickly charge up while the opponent was pushed away by their previous projectile and throw another projectile.

The only projectiles with knockback that Megaman has is Crashbomb and Forward Smash. Crash Bomb is nearly impossible to projectile spam with because:
1. It must attach to the opponent successfully. (It's not too difficult to protect oneself against)
2. It must detonate successfully (and there's many ways to protect oneself against an attached crash bomb).
3. Only one Crash Bomb can be fired at a time.
4. There is pretty good ending lag between this and the next special button input.

Forward Smash cannot be spammed because of it's huge ending lag, which if whiffed, will receive heavy punishment.

Metal Blade is probably the one move that can be 'spammed' but even then, the opponent has ways to prevent this by catching it out of mid-air and holding onto it. And just like crash bomb, there can only be one out at a time.

Pellets can also be "spammed" but they only have one trajectory: straight ahead. They also disappear about 3 character lengths away and don't have much knockback at all, unless it's nair's sweetspot.
This means that an opponent can take a more vertical aerial approach towards a Megaman who consistently uses pellets and get in this way. Some can even just push through the lemons and get to Megaman anyways.

TL;DR

None of Megaman's projectile moves have the characteristics that let Megaman stay on the edge and spam. Camping on the edge will almost definitely not win Megaman the match.

Any Megaman must skillfully zone a certain distance away from the opponent during most of the match if they want a solid chance at winning, and this takes far more skill than camping at the edge.
Oh ok, you're right.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Oh ok, you're right.
Sorry, just felt I had to bring to light the difference between zoning and camping.

Anyways, back on topic, I've experienced this with a few players on For Glory. Sometimes, it just seems like the opponent is unfamiliar with how to approach a Megaman that can space properly with pellets/metal blades/etc. And so they put an effort to try and get past, but it doesn't seem to work, so they give up a bit too easily, rather than press on and find a counter-approach.

Another part of the issue is that, while pellet/projectile spacing isn't "camping" per-se, it can create the same feelings of frustration in the person trying to approach.

That feeling of: "Grr, stop shooting stuff so I can get close and hit you already."'

Any players who don't have a competitive mindset would be quick to label this situation under the same category as 'camping' and therefore condemn Megaman with the likes of other players/characters who just stay on the edge and throw projectiles all day.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Like Halcyon said you can't spam crash bombs or metal blades, but what I do is alternate spamming crash bomb then metal blade. That usually racks up some percent until they get closer and I can hit them with lemons.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, that's a strange issue there considering Mega Man isn't in any way cheap at all and I'm not saying that because I'm a Mega Man main myself.

The only times I SD is if I made a strategic error and that's it. I'm not one of those quitters who just SD whenever they fight against a Mega Man or even a Little Mac user or whatever lame excuses they have.

2busywinning

Smash Rookie
My personal favorite is when Little Mac players think we're cheap. : )

(not saying little mac is cheap because I don't think he is... just saying they don't have all that much room to talk)
I don't think mac is cheap either but I just hate playing against him. he annoys me to death. my boy megs is def the best counter imo for him though. I will just lemon him to death until he eventually over commits to something dumb. AGAIN -- I don't think mac is cheap, I just personally cant stand playing against him.

Donut Steel

Smash Cadet
I haven't encountered this problem while playing as Megaman, but I have encountered it playing as Little Mac. There have been times where I cannot even get a hit in on the opponent, they see me playing Little Mac and they just toss themselves off of the stage. It's stupid.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ran into a Jigglypuff earlier today who Rollout SD'd against me.

They received a report from me.

Donut Steel

Smash Cadet
Was playing four player Smash last night on For Glory, things were going great and I was having some pretty awesome matches alongside a really good Mario player. (Other opponents came and went but she (I'm assuming she from their mii) stuck around. Kicked a lot of ass too.) All of a sudden one of the other players (Shulk, I think) just up and DC'd about five times in a row in the middle of the match. Just jumping off the edge, dying, and then falling off the recovery platform to do it again. I didn't understand why, it just felt like a tantrum to me. He wound up actually fighting us again, but you could even tell from how he was fighting that he was putting a bare minimum in.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Compared to what I've said before, l had this issue just last night. I did two rounds playing as Rosalina while the guy I was playing against was Fox and I beat him on both rounds, then we went for a third round, he switched to Captain Falcon and I switched to good ol' Mega Man. That's when he backed out and fled and I barely did anything.

Last edited:

Blue24

Smash Cadet
In one match, a Captain Falcon, opened with taunting, and kept doing super telegraphed attacks (i.e. Falcon Kick). I down/back threw him over 8 times for over 80% and I killed him with an Uair. I only had 17% on my first stock so he runs off stage. On the select screen he called me a "camping F**"

It might just be a Mega Man thing, because I barely even used projectiles and got sillyness.

Ramzy

ROCKMAN
Happens all the time. I've gotten enough salt to season a banquet .

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Meh. You're probably just the 50th Mega Man/Link/Toon Link/Samus/ROB/projectile spam character they've run into that evening and get sick of it.

I generally just half ass a match when it's the hundredth ZSS or Falcon or whatever. There's very, very little variety anymore in 4glor.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I've played over 1100 For Glory matches... and literally 10% of the matches have those dang Link campers, Duck Hunt campers, or Megamans (Megamen?) who sit in the corner of the stage and spam projectiles. I've never raged quitted, but it does get quite annoying when I've already faced 20 matches with the same exact situation every time.

I swear, there's no variety anymore in For Glory, like @ dahuterschuter dahuterschuter said above. Everyone seems to do the same exact thing with each character.
Does this look familiar?:

:4megaman: Metal Blade -> Crash Bomber -> Metal Blade -> Crash Bomber -> Forward Smash
:4link: Arrow -> Boomerang -> Bomb -> Neutral Attack -> Arrow -> Boomerang -> Bomb -> Neutral Attack :smash:
:4bowserjr: Clown Cannon -> Mechakoopa -> Clown Kart Dash -> Up Special when you're recovering
:4ness: PK Fire -> Grab/Throw -> Forward Air -> Forward Air

Don't even get me stared with Duck Hunt.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I've only faced 1 Mega Man in all of my random For Glory matches...
2 if you count that guy who rage picked Mega Man and just stood there shooting lemons the whole fight.

Blue24

Smash Cadet
I've only faced 1 Mega Man in all of my random For Glory matches...
2 if you count that guy who rage picked Mega Man and just stood there shooting lemons the whole fight.
Same, I have only played 1 Mega Main. I have played a handful of Rage Mans though

Top Bottom