• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PeeKay Bay Bay: A Lucas Guide by ZMan

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
Peekay Bay Bay:
A Lucas Guide by ZMan

Table of Contents:
1. Intro
2. Pros and Cons
3. A moves
4. Throws
5. B moves
6. Advance Techniques
7. Stages
8. Matchups
9. Secondaries
10. Ending thoughts

Part 1. Who the hell is Lucas, who the hell are you, and why should I listen to you?

Lucas is the main character from the Japanese game, Mother 3 (Earthbound 2 as it would be called here in America). He is very timid, but fights splendidly. I dont know much about Lucas, but I enjoy maining him in brawl.

I'm ZMan from NM. I main Lucas. You should really listen to me because I have been placing constantly in tournaments.

Part 2. Lucas's Pros and Cons
PROS:
  • Is a small target
  • Has a very spammable projectile (PK FIre)
  • Has a tether recovery
  • Has a very good recovery in you know what you are doing
  • Has good priority on most attacks
  • Good ground game
  • Is very fast for suh a little guy
  • Isn't really popular in tournaments so most players won't know how to fight Lucas
  • Has the coolest hair due in the game

CONS:
  • Is kind of light
  • Has a steep learning curve, harder to learn than most characters
  • PK Thunder can be gimped
  • Grab is easily punished if whiffed
  • PK Fire spam is useless against character with a relible reflector or a PSI Magnet or something like that.
  • Only top Lucas players will be seen in tournaments

All in all Lucas is a good character with a lot going for him. However you must dedicate yourself to learning him in order to win with him.

Part 3. A Moves
Lucas's bread and butter, you must master these moves to get good with Lucas.

AAA: Kick Kombo-Lucas does three kicks, one after the other. I generally use it to beat out slow attacks, but in the end I use it because of how fast it comes out. The first two hits have no knockback, that last kick can kill at really high %. The first two kicks do 3% while the last one does 4% for a total of 10%

Ftilt: PK Pimp Slap- Another good move. Comes out fast and has good priority. I generally use it out of a sheild or after an aerial to avoid being punished. Can kill around the high hundreds. Lucas's hand does 5% while the sparkle does 8%. Overall, it's ne of Lucas's best moves.

Dtilt: Sweep kick- A surpise attack. I us it to trip my oppenent for a free Fsmash. Can be used for a jab lock. Can be cancelled out after Lucas does the kick into another attack. Does 6%

Utilt: PK Soumersalt- Lucas to a flip kci above his head. There is two hit to this move. The first is his foot coming up and the last is the sparkle comeing out of his feet. It's good for juggleing heavier character and can poke through low platforms. Probably the slowest of Lucas's titls but it is still very good. The first kick does 3% while the sparkle does 8% for a total of 11%

Fsmash: Da stick- Lucas's best smash IMO. It's fast, it's powerful, it can reflect prjectiles, it has a decptivlly large hitbox and it helped me pass Algebra. This move is amazing. I use it a lot. Punish your oppenets attacks with this! It can kill around to low 100's. Does 15% uncharged and 21% fully charged.

Dsmash: PK Barrage- Lucas shoots a bunch of sparkles at his feet, each doing 17, 14, 11% in that order uncharged. The first hit does the most knockback while the last hit has the biggest hit box. Good for punishing roll dodges. Can kill around the early 100s with the first hit. Does 23, 19, and 17% fully charged.

Usmash: PK Destroyer- Lucas's most destructive move. This move is the third strongest Usmash in the game that has a hitbox that goes aroound Lucas's whole body. Beware though, if it is whiffed you will be punshed. Can kill as low as 75%. Does 21% uncharged and 29% fully charged.

Dash attack: PK Shove- Not as good as Ness's, but still good. I use it as a surprise attack or to catch my oppent of guard. I'll get the % later.

Nair: PK Eater- My favorite aerial. This move absolutly eats sheilds and wrecks big oppenents. I use the aerial a lot. Like all of Lucas's aerials it has little lag and almost no startup. the first 7 hits do 2% with the last hit doing 3%. I've never actually killed with this move.

Fair: PK Kick- Lucas sticks hit foot out and hits with a sparkle at the end of his foot. Good aerial for approaching. Can kill at high 100s. Does 10% if hit with the foot, does 12% if you hit with the sparkle.

Bair: PK Swirl- Lucas does a 180 degree motion in the air. It's good for refreshing your attacks if you spam Fair or Nair alot. It can meteor at the end of the attack. Does 7-9% and 12% for the spike.

Dair: PK Stomp- Lucas does 4 kicks underneath him. Can setup for the jab lock. LAst hit spikes. Good for pokeing through sheilds of big characters. Last hit spikes. All hits do 5%.

Uair: Headbutt- I said butt. Haha. Anyway, Lucas does a headbutt. It's an odd move, but it can kill at high %. I'll get more info when I don't feel so lazy. does 13%

Continued in next post

ZMan

Smash Master
Part 4. Throws
Lucas's uses the rope snake to grab people. Be sure to actually grab someoe when you use it, or you'll be punished

A while holding someone: Headbutt- Nothing much to say than it does 3%

FThrow: PK Toss: Lucas spin his oppenent foward. I doen't use this throw alot, but I think it can kill at high %. It does 10%.

Dthrow: PK Slam- Lucas throws his oppenent into the ground and launches them upward. At low % you can get a free PK Thunder. Does 7%.

BThrow: Reverse toss- Same thing a Fthrow, but backwards! I think it can kill easier than Fthrow. Does 10%

Uthrow: PK Spin and throw- Same thing as Fthrow and Bthrow, but upwards! I don't use this one at all though. Does 10%.

All-in-all. Lucas's grabs are situational.

Part 5. B moves.
Another part of Lucas's game. Some are situational while others are spammable. Use to acheieve victory.

B: PK Freeze- Like PK Flash, but less powerfull and with a smaller hit box. I use it to edgeguard Ike sometimes. Very situational. It travels pretty fast though. Don't use it off the stage or you'll die. Does 10% uncharged and 19% charged. Can kill at mid 100s.

Side B: PK Fire- A very good move. Spam it against slow characters. Theres is a lot of use for this move, butI 'll tell you in the advance technique section. It does 8%.

Up B: PK Thunder- When it comes out, it does an attack does 10% and sets up for PK chasing with the thunder. It can be used for edgeguarding as well. If you run it into yourself you will launch our self into a direction which can be used for recovery. The thunder its self does 1% after the initial hit and the PKthunder 2 does 3% for each hit then does 10% for the final hit.

Down B: PSI Magnet- Another good move. It can abosorb any energy based projectile and heals Lucas time 1.5% the original hit. It maxes out at 30% though. I thik you can cancel it out after you've abosorbed something. When you put it down it does an attack that does 9%.Good for a surprise attack.

Part 6. Advance techniques.
Lucas has very unique things about him. Utilizing these quirks will give you an upperhand in battle.

Wavebounce: Set your Cstick to specials. Then do a short hop and launch a PK Fire by flicking the Cstick in the opposite way you are facing. Lucas should to a wavedash type thing when he hits the ground. To this without messing with your controls simply jump the opposite way you are facing and fire a PK Fire the other way.

Zap Jump: You must second jump and PK fire at the same to jump really high. Easiest with Bsticking.

Magnet pull: Do a wavebounce PK Fire in the air the do a PSI Magnet and watch as Lucas flys horizontally!

For indepth look at these techniques and more, read GofG's Lucas Advance technique thread.

Continued in next post

ZMan

Smash Master
Part 7. Lucas Stages
As a general rule of thumb for Lucas, any stage that allows him to spam PK Fire is good. He also does well on crazy stages to.

Port Town Aero Dive- My favorite Lucas stage. It's always moving and very fun. Use it against slow character with bad recoveries.

Norfair- aka No-fair. I like this stage even though it is hard to spam PK Fire here. Lucas can manuvere around the platforms with ease. He can stall here to (I think)

Smashville, FD, Battlefield, and Lylat- He can spam PK Fire here and Utilt and Usmash go though the platforms.

Other good stages are Frigate, Pictochat, Delfino and Brinstar.

Part 8. Matchups
Coming Soon! Check the matchup thread in the mean time.

Part 9. Secondaries
A good secondary for Lucas is a character who does well in lucas's bad matcups. But in the end it comes down to who you are good with. Here are some recommendations.

Dedede- Does well against Marth and Snake and all around just badass.

Meta-****ing-knight and Snake- They're the two best characters right now, so ovbiously they're good.

Falco- Brings down even the mightest character to their knees with chaingrab. I like Falco as my secondary.

Part 10. Final Thoughts and Questions
What ATs (advanced techniques) are worth using?- Wavebounce, zap jump, and magnet pull. Practice makes perfect.
Do I really have to change my controls to get the most out of Lucas?- No, I have my controls the same way as they were in Melee and I've been placing consistantly in tournaments in NM. It's all a matter of prefrence.
Is the dash attack good for approaching?- No. It is to slow. Use it as surprise attack ot to catch someone off guard.
How does the magnet compare to the stick for KOing a badly damaged opponent?- The sitck is faster but It's more expected, magnet is harder to hit but can catch someone off guard. Here's something to try: try abosorbing a projectile up cloe and give them a magnet up the ***.
Isn't PKT2 much better for recovery than the rope snake?-I use rope snake when I am facing someone who can gimp my recovery (Pit, Ness, Lucas, ect.) but really PKT2 goes so farthat it's more relaible than tether.
Is PKT2 a good finisher move?- Yes. Trying hitting them with the thunder than hit yourself at just the right angleinto your oppent for MASSIVE DAMAGE!
What do the rope snake and Lucas talk about? (side taunt)- Sports, movies, girls, video games. The stuff most 1-year old boys talk about with their rope snake. :laugh:

I'll use this to list people who've help me out with Lucas info.

Stuff to do: Fix typos, get matchup information, and get picture :crazy::rotfl:

Trozz

Smash Ace
Some critique:
- Typos galore. Might want to read this over once you're done. The T in tilt also has inconsistant capitalization.
- Lucas is a very popular character at the tournament I've been going to (SFU smash).
- PK Fire isn't useless against space animals and Mother children. You just have to mix in attacks between fires. MIIIIIINDGAAAAAAMES!
- This doesn't look like a FAQ. I guess the actual questions come after the guide?

Here are some questions to get your FAQ going (if you want to use them):

How do I deal with [insert character here]? (link to matchup thread)
What ATs (advanced techniques) are worth using?
Do I really have to change my controls to get the most out of Lucas?
Is the dash attack good for approaching?
How does the magnet compare to the stick for KOing a badly damaged opponent?
Isn't PKT2 much better for recovery than the rope snake?
Is PKT2 a good finisher move?
What do the rope snake and Lucas talk about? (side taunt)

GL with the guide. ^^

Top Bottom