• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach's Castle 64?

Should Peach's Castle 64 be legal?

• Definitely!

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 44 26.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • Of course not!

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • We'll just have to wait and see

Votes: 35 21.3%

• Total voters

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457

Peach's Castle 64 was confirmed to be future DLC a couple months ago. This stage is still a counter-pick in Smash 64's competitive ruleset (It's picked only 1% of the time though). I don't have Smash 64 so I had to dig up some footage.

Some good footage I found of the stage was Grand Finals of Apex 2014:
http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6457844

Here's the footage from the DLC Smash Direct:
http://www.tubechop.com/watch/6457859

I can't tell if the stage is the same size or not, the shape of the stage reminds me of Lylat Cruise almost. Dream Land and it's ceiling were shrunken but I'm having a hard time seeing if this stage was shrunken at all.

The elephants in the room:

Walls and moving floor: This is my main gripe with this stage being legal, the shape reminds me of Lylat Cruise as mentioned before but it reminds me more of this form of Delfino Plaza

and yeah... that means camping, but then there's the moving floor, which will probably make this a horrible stage for anyone who doesn't have the best recovery (Little Mac, Captain Falcon, etc) so Little Mac vs. Sheik would be even more unwinnable. With all those factors it will be a great stage for Rosalina and Luma, that's what I picked up from it at least.

The bumper and slopes at the top: Like I said before I don't have Smash 64, so I don't know what the triangular slopes at the top do, but they will probably mess up kills though. And I don't know what to say about the bumper besides how it's probably the nail in the coffin for banning this stage.

What do you guys think? I'm currently undecided on it's legality.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm leaning towards no, primarily for the slight position camping (even though it's temporary), and the (presumably) techable diagonal pieces.

Of course, that's if we assume a conservative ruleset. If we go liberal enough to include things as mild as, say, Stadium 2, I think it'd be legal. A lot depends on ledge grabability and how the bumper interacts with things.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm leaning towards no, primarily for the slight position camping (even though it's temporary), and the (presumably) techable diagonal pieces.

Of course, that's if we assume a conservative ruleset. If we go liberal enough to include things as mild as, say, Stadium 2, I think it'd be legal. A lot depends on ledge grabability and how the bumper interacts with things.
IIRC the brief clip we were shown of it revealed you can grab the large moving block thing on the bottom. So that's a point in its favor.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
As much as I like the stage, that bumper is still fairly disruptive.

Schnizzle Fits

Smash Cadet
No. Those ramps are going to be life savers, people will just DI for them. Also the bumper may screw with vertical KOs, Im sure they'll change the bumpers physics so who knows. Besides that if the stage keeps its 64 blast zones it will be the go to stage for Peach/Jiggs

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
IIRC the brief clip we were shown of it revealed you can grab the large moving block thing on the bottom. So that's a point in its favor.
Wait, brief clip? Maybe this is because I was without internet for a while, but I haven't seen this. Can I get a link?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
All the bumper does is disrupt strings and followups that follow an upwards path. Mario, Luigi, Diddy, really most Dthrow -> Uair followups, so playing around that tiny little bumper is just stage knowledge and prowess and can serve as a viable counterpick against those kinds of characters.

The ramps, who can say. Is it possible to tech on inclined slopes like that?

Raijinken

Smash Master
All the bumper does is disrupt strings and followups that follow an upwards path. Mario, Luigi, Diddy, really most Dthrow -> Uair followups, so playing around that tiny little bumper is just stage knowledge and prowess and can serve as a viable counterpick against those kinds of characters.

The ramps, who can say. Is it possible to tech on inclined slopes like that?
On all other stages, yes. But the stage hasn't existed since 64, so whether the interaction is consistent or not remains to be seen. I don't believe it was techable in 64, though I could be wrong.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
It was counterpick at best in N64 and most of the time it was banned, I'm leaning towards no on this one.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I really hope it'll be counterpick. But if it doesn't work / is too "random" because of the ramps and bumper, then I guess it shouldn't. Leaning towards yes, but it should just be tried out. I really like the stage and hope it'll be alright, but we'll have to wait and see.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I think it could work, but it needs some actual testing for confirmation.

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
needs to be out before true decision but if it was up to me it should be legal. it could add a lil more diversity to the list aka the bumper and those ramps cold add for a lil more survivability which i dont find to be a problem personally it could make the game because if you were supposed to die and that saved you it could be a warning of dont let that hit you again and the bumber may add an element of being able to upb twice i dont know how useful that would be but it would be a cool thing to play around with.

but i could ultimately see it being illegal even though it could just get banned

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Besides that if the stage keeps its 64 blast zones it will be the go to stage for Peach/Jiggs
Dream Land 64 didn't keep its blast zones, so I'd guess this stage won't either.
On all other stages, yes. But the stage hasn't existed since 64, so whether the interaction is consistent or not remains to be seen. I don't believe it was techable in 64, though I could be wrong.
I believe it was considered a wall in 64, as you couldn't stand on it - therefore it wasn't techable because you could only tech the floor. Although, here, it's a solid surface and it's not a cloud; reasoning would imply that it's techable.

Honestly, I'm not so sure about this stage. The bottom is fine, especially now that you can grab the moving platform, but the ramps and bumpers in the air are going to mess a lot of stuff up.

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
At best, I would say that this stage would be a counterpick. I can see why people would want it banned though. Once the stage is in everyone's hands, we'll see whether or not the stage is decent enough for competitive play. I'm not entirely sure on how the bumpers and ramps are gonna affect how things go down in a match...I might have to look up some more 64 gameplay to get more of an idea.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
"We'll just have to wait and see" is the only option here. We don't know the changes there will be (and there will be for sure, like DL64 was changed), and that might make things difficult. It's a cool and uniquely designed stage, so here's hoping.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
The moving platform reminds me of Skyworld or pre-patch Lylat Cruise (in other words, getting trapped under the stage is super easy). Recovering on this stage will be hell for every character except Jigglypuff, Kirby, Meta Knight, Villager, and maybe Pikachu, R.O.B., and Lucario.

EDIT: I'm stupid, pls ignore me.

Last edited:

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
I like how the dynamics of stage control slowly and predictably oscillate on this stage. It would add something to the game that is in between the more static neutrals and the somewhat annoying transformations of Halberd and Delfino.

Raijinken

Smash Master
The moving platform reminds me of Skyworld or pre-patch Lylat Cruise (in other words, getting trapped under the stage is super easy). Recovering on this stage will be hell for every character except Jigglypuff, Kirby, Meta Knight, Villager, and maybe Pikachu, R.O.B., and Lucario.
The platform was passthrough in Smash64. I can't remember, did the clip show it as completely solid here?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Techable ramps and bumper. Not only that, but I don't like the lack of a large and stable platform that doesn't constantly shift the stage. Definitely a no-go in my opinion, but one of the tamer suggestions. Worth having at a couple of regionals, maybe. If it looks like trash, ban it.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Dreamland 64 does have the same blastzones. It was Dreamland in Melee that didn't.
Melee dreamland's blastzones are in the same proportions as 64's, it's just that the characters are smaller. (this is obvious as all the 64 stages are ridiculously big with large blastzones)

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I really want it as counter pick, but if those ramps are techable (which they most likely are) it's pretty much a no go imo.

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
If it ends up having grabable ledges, then I think it would probably be fair game. In N64 it didn't which sucked kinda, but it's my favorite stage of all time so not a big problem

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Ehh...I really can't say either way. On one hand, one could make the argument that the bumper would be a good way to counterpick characters with good aerial follow-ups (Diddy, Mario, Mii Brawler, etc.) and the (presumably) large horizontal space will lend itself well to characters with good aerial mobility, but I think the ramps might make survivability a little bit too lopsided. I can see matches here taking forever, which would make time-outs kinda common. Maybe not as bad as say, Kongo Jungle 64, but the intent can definitely still be engendered. I'd run it at some locals to get some empirical evidence (and not to purposefully make the stage look bad, hello Wuhu Island glitch) and use that plus whatever you guys find here to come to a more uniform decision.

tl;dr, I think we'll have to wait and see, but I'm veering on the side of no.

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
No, I am not sure if you can stand on the top 2 platforms but it looks like a good place for circle camping and chars like Puff and peach. The bumper looks like it will allow fewer characters to counter circle camping. Those ledges do not look grabbable so idk. We will wait and see.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
I've never played 64, but I played on this stage recently in PM. I want to wait and see the properties of the ramps; I am undecided for now. However, I agree with @ Raijinken Raijinken in that it would probably be legal in less-conservative rulesets.
'Cuz if we have Peach's Castle and/or PS2, we can have Wuhu Island, right? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

Lustful_Kaiser

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kaiserine
3DS FC
3282-3064-4273
This stage is good for a counterpick stage since it have its ups and downs. I am not sure about how the ceiling will be in this stage if they change it or not like Dreamland 64. If it does changes hopefully it isn't too small that it won't be a legal stage, but I doubt it will happen.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I don't think this will cut.

For one, you can't grab any ledges, so characters with trash recoveries (Ganon, Mac, etc.) will absolutely suffer on this stage. Even if they add grabbable ledges, there's still the possibility of the bumper preventing vertical KOs, as well as characters with long-distance recoveries to use the bumper to escape pressure. These problems may be the same issues from Smash 64, but they're not going to change during the transition. I know the stage is legal in Smash 64, but there's a reason why it's hardly ever used.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
The ledges can be grabbed, as proven by the the direct that announced the stage. It's on the second link of the OP, @ jcx jcx

As for my opinion on the stage, I think we have to wait and see until it's actually on our Wii Us. As of right now, it can go either way really.

Thor

Smash Champion
Not sure if it should be legal in the Wii U version. I personally love the stage and would play on it in friendlies even if it weren't legal [if I could find someone to agree to that], but we'll have to see.

On the 3DS, given the 3DS's relative lack of good stages, I think 3DS tournaments should definitely test it out.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if it should be legal in the Wii U version. I personally love the stage and would play on it in friendlies even if it weren't legal [if I could find someone to agree to that], but we'll have to see.
I'd play it in friendlies for sure. I play stages like Pilotwings, Windy Hill Zone, and even Onett just because I love their aesthetics. XD

On the 3DS, given the 3DS's relative lack of good stages, I think 3DS tournaments should definitely test it out.
If I'm not mistaken, both Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle are Wii U exclusives.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Won't be long now before we can finally start labbing up on this stage. :)

Top Bottom