• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach v P:M Sword Characters

Who do you think is Peach's hardest Sword Matchup

• Total voters

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
Similar to this. It covers a lot of options, it just has a lot of starting lag-- so opponents can see it coming. No one is going to miss Peach scream HUMP-CHAAAA
Not if you play without volume... NEW META ?!?!?!

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
It's a good surprise recovery. Instead of Float, I'll often lead with this as I'm by the edge. It's a really good surprise, has decent knockback as well-- enough so that I can recover all I need to. For a few seconds. No one expects it-- like Up-air. It's a decent move, but requires preciseness and a little luck.

Similar to this. It covers a lot of options, it just has a lot of starting lag-- so opponents can see it coming. No one is going to miss Peach scream HUMP-CHAAAA
Nonono it is often successful

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DistractedByTheSexy

Last edited:

Jmanthedragonguy

Smash Rookie
Huge post incoming

Link has very punishable moves yes (Dair, Uair, Fsmash Ftilt Up B grab etc), but good links generally don't use them in punishable situations which makes it really hard if the link just stays safe and spams jab, boomarng and nair walls :/

stay on the ground more against meta knight, as long as you can stop his grabs you can win although the match up is still pretty hard for poor peachy :/. Just crouch cancel a lot and space fairs low to the ground etc, smart meta knights will use a lot of Fair though and then its really hard cause that move out right beats everything peach has in the game basically, also always recover high against meta knight, aim for plat forms with your parasol etc. Remember you can combo him really hard cause he falls fast, (Up throw up air up air up air up air up air up air up air for daysssssss :D) Still a really rough match up though.

Now on the topic of Ike...I play against lordy pretty much every day (hes considered the 4th best ike in the world right now according to the best player by character thread), and I've played Ally bit too ( he is undeniably the best ike in the world) and id say my record is about 35-65 against lordy and 25-75 (maybe worse) against Ally (in friendlies of course he would body me in tournament) so i have a lot of insight on that match up, as its one of the characters i have the most experience with, not including the melee characters of course. I personally think Ike wins slightly (maybe 55-45 ikes favor or maybe its even). Basically if you have a turnip in your hand you can beat any of his approaches by throwing a grounded turnip and punishing his reaction (which often times involves ike just taking the vegetable to the face :3). However its hard to pull turnips against ike, and when peach doesnt have a turnip in hand its much more difficult to stop Ike from coming in on you. The most important part of the match up (in my opinion) revolves around Ikes mix up game. Peach has a way to beat all of ikes approaches with out a turnip, but because of Ikes ability to approach with a grab, an aerial or a ground attack very quickly if forces you to stay on your toes, always reading/reacting to him. I'll go into detail about his mix up game here:

1. If he approaches with quick draw Fair or short hop Fair (which many Ikes do) you have to respect it, none of your moves stand a chance in hell of beating ikes fair. Luckily its got slow start up and enough end lag for you to work with, if you see the fair coming (which you should be able to do on reaction as its pretty slow) your best option is to run forward and shield, you need to space it so that when he lands he is close to you (place your shield on the hilt of his sword for the best results). If done properly you can shield grab him as he lands and up throw at low % for a full combo or at higher % you can down throw for a potential combo or forward/back throw for stage position. (note that if he lands behind you after fairing his shield you can BAir out of shield, this doesn't happen often but keep it in mind)

2 The other aerial ikes love to approach with is Nair, the run up shield strategy can work here but its not as guaranteed as it is against Fair because Nair is much faster and safer upon landing. Its not impossible to shield grab but its not easy either. However a well spaced Nair, Bair or dash attack can trade with his Nair and that can be beneficial for you. Its also possible to dash dance grab his nair, although this is pretty tough too. Nair is really hard to deal with but just remember the hitbox doesn't actually extend that far forawrd so you can outright beat it or trade with it using your Fair, Nair or Bair. When your at low % the best way to deal with Ikes nair is Crouch cancel, despite how scary the move looks its actually pretty CCable.

3 The last aerial to watch out for is a quick draw-reverse Bair. This is insanely scary and if lordy or ally used it more i probably would never take a game off of them. The main way I've dealt with it is hitting him as he turns around from the quick draw with a dash attack or just shielding it and then choosing an option after, either nair out of shield, shield grab or wave dash out of shield to saftey. Remember if Ike Bairs your shield he will land with his back to you, meaning he needs to do a turn around jab to beat you shield grab or a spot dodge. Basically, Bair is tough to deal with but like his other aerials shielding is usually your best option in my experience. Remember not to get stuck in your shield though because getting grabbed by ike basically means death at any % assuming the Ike is pretty good.

4 Ike can also approach is with a grab. THIS IS THE REASON THE MATCH UP IS SO DAMN HARD SOMETIMES. As I've been saying the best way to beat ikes approach is with a well spaced shield, unfortunately Grab beats shielding (obviously). What is even more unfortunate is that Ike gets so much out of a grab its ridiculous, Forward throw to forward throw to forward throw to Fair Fair Fair FAIR FAIR FAIR, Bam! There goes your stock. The best way to beat this is to watch ike as he comes in carefully, as soon as you see him jump prepare to shield his aerial, if he doesn't jump out of quick draw then it becomes a 50/50 guessing game between grab or quick draw attack (ill talk about the quick draw attack next. Also keep in mind Ike can do a few other things out of quick draw such as wave dash of course but they generally aren't as threatening as his other options and most ikes don't really implement them that much). If you predict Ike to grab you can beat his grab with just about any attack, I usually go for dash attack or a quick float Bair just because i can get a fairly heavy punish of either of those attacks landing. Jabbing is also an option because its insanely fast which means you have more time to decide whether you should shield or attack. Until you get a good handle on the match up id recommend dash attack though over anything anything else.

5 The quick draw attack is the final piece to Ikes insanely powerful mix up game. Basically if Ike quick draws at you and you expect a grab and you try to beat it with an attack, ike can counter that with the quick draw attack and go into a full combo. However QD attack is supppper laggy so if you shield you can punish with pretty much whatever you like (I usually just grab). The hard part is because grab and QD attack are both really fast you cant actually react and punish accordingly, it pretty much has to be a read. One thing to note is that peaches dash attack can actually be your saving grace here, I already mentioned that it outright beats QD grab, and if you space the dash attack well you can actually beat his QD attack too! Sometimes you will trade with him but in general thats a great trade for you. However peachs dash attack is pretty punishable so don't just start spamming dash attack every time he QD's. Ike can start his QD attack early and straight up beat your dash attack, he can also jump over it, or wave dash out and shield. All of which completely beat dash attack and will probably lead to peaches death.

Basically if you can get a read on what ike will do out of quick draw, and you pick the correct option to deal with it peach can win this match up, just remember to pluck turnips whenever you possibly can, combo him hard (hes a pretty good weight for peach to juggle) and if you do get grabbed HOLD UP AND AWAY AND PRAY FOR YOUR LIFE. If you DI in your just gonna eat 5 forward airs and die but if you DI up and away you stand a chance of surviving. <3
I just got mauled my an Ike today at a biweekly, I was completely caught off guard by the speed of his quickdraw and all the scary options that come with it. After reading this, hopefully I can do better if I meet him again. It's a great and insightful writeup ^^
--Also, you switched to a Wendy avatar, nifty haha.

MTL Kyle

Smash Journeyman
SHFFL?

(By this you know my lack of skill)

"Get better?..."
I don't bash people for they lack of skill. Even though I'm considered quite technical, I still underrate myself and I still consider myself inexperienced.
I bash them for not trying their best or not trying to be smarter :p

SHFFLing with Peach is not optimal. L-Cancelling is not as normal with her as float cancelling. Float cancelling is better. WAY BETTER. Although SHFFL Nair (and probably her only SHFFL option lewl) is quite good in certain situations (and the optimal tool), Float Cancelling is the way to go.

Float Cancelling doesn't require good timing or high technical skills, you just have to get the motion and you will soon start doing it and wrecking newbs.

Peach is a character like Yun in Street Fighter. As soon as you get one opportunity, you have to get the most out of it, because the better you get, you will be playing people that know what to do and you will get less and less opportunities.

Also, knowing how to SHFFL doesn't make you beat sword characters. Those are characters you have to beat by understanding space and punishing, not on being technical.

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
I don't bash people for they lack of skill. Even though I'm considered quite technical, I still underrate myself and I still consider myself inexperienced.
I bash them for not trying their best or not trying to be smarter :p

SHFFLing with Peach is not optimal. L-Cancelling is not as normal with her as float cancelling. Float cancelling is better. WAY BETTER. Although SHFFL Nair (and probably her only SHFFL option lewl) is quite good in certain situations (and the optimal tool), Float Cancelling is the way to go.

Float Cancelling doesn't require good timing or high technical skills, you just have to get the motion and you will soon start doing it and wrecking newbs.

Peach is a character like Yun in Street Fighter. As soon as you get one opportunity, you have to get the most out of it, because the better you get, you will be playing people that know what to do and you will get less and less opportunities.

Also, knowing how to SHFFL doesn't make you beat sword characters. Those are characters you have to beat by understanding space and punishing, not on being technical.
I was asking not saying.

Ike is shffling. Peach doesn't shffl easily enough for me to know how.

I cannot do anything about Ike that does shffl; by this you should know my lack of skill

How did that not get across?
*what did I say or how did my wording imply that I know what I am taking about?

I figure; have you ever seen Slam on stream? Have you met him at a tournament?

Then why do you give him credit for being any good or knowing what he is talking about?

Last edited:

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
In other words, I was saying "whatever garde noir's problem is, mine is when sword characters (esp. Ike) SHFFL.

Since I never see people just up and die to shffl, this must be a lack of skill on my part

So I jokingly said the advice I would be given is "get better? Like what do you want us to tell you?"

You can tell an unskilled player to build immortal vs stalker all you want but if the guy is so slow he can't make workers and units at the same time he will continue to lose even if he does what you say because he simply is not fast enough; his opponents will make so many stalkers before he makes his first immortal that the immortal will be overwhelmed by them. Source: Starcraft.

And frankly the double posting whining sucks. If I use another post to separate two different points versus making a huge TL;DR wall, let me "spam", it's not like anyone cares that shouldn't be in a nut house.

Last edited:
Top Bottom