• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pathways Smash XI November

Terry

Smash Ace
Words from a virgin...

LOL

If Roman is teaming with Bert then I got Terry if I go. Sorry Chris, I already teamed with you once. Haven't teamed with Terry before.

:phone:
I was going to say something weird but then I realized this is the tournament thread.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Just to give everyone a heads-up, the tournament will be on the same day that Pathways is doing Crosslines (which is going to take place in the gym, so the basement will be clear). It shouldn't be busy by 1, but getting there before 1 is discouraged.

Terry

Smash Ace
Michael, we got this. Also, since you won't be playing with us anymore you better give me a hug. :D ......... ;____;

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I'll have it, and I'll probably bring it just because the turnout for this seems small, sadly. I'm hoping for 1st in singles, haha.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
If we really get as few people at this tournament as it looks like we will, then we may not have main brackets, instead just having odd little side-events. 1 stock bo5 (for Brawl), Ironman, and the dice idea I posted about in the Springfield thread are all likely candidates. This depends on what other people want to do, obviously, but I think it would be fun to dedicate a Pathways to side-events and friendlies.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I think me, Chris, and Terrence were wanting to play Ultimate MvC3. Maybe if there's enough interest, we could do a small tournament? The turn out for this month's pathways seems very small

I believe it's ironic that we don't have many people coming shortly after Ziv quit. Coincidence? I think not.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I'm down as long as we still do dubs. Even if it's low tier dubs.

And I haven't quit. I'm just semi retired. No more traveling or massive amounts of time invested.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
One day you'll have kids and work 40 hours a week and understand :)

On a side note, Terrence and I are going to completely dominate dubs at this.

And I'm winning p:m.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
It's not that I don't understand, because I totally do. I'm just correcting the fact that you said you were spending massive amounts of time on Melee when you weren't to begin with :p

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
It's not that I don't understand, because I totally do. I just don't understand.
FTFY.

Also, I'm going to dominate this tournament. I haven't practiced once, which means I'll get the blue shell and star.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
If I knew you needed it that bad we could have tried to work out a way for you to get it sooner.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
You have no room to make edits like that. You don't have kids and you still smash less than Michael. BOOOOO.

Also, Michael doesn't want to hack his Wii. He's "scared."
I'm not scared of hacking my Wii. I'm scared of what my wife would do to me if by hacking it, it quit working properly.

Also I reserved the copy with the Golden Wiimote. I don't care how long ago it was leaked. I'm not playing Zelda without a golden Wiimote.

Also shame on you pirates for stealing. Your mothers would be ashamed. I hope one day you work hard for something and before you can even make a profit off it, somebody steals it first.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
The thing I don't like about piracy is that it doesn't support what you like. I buy all of my music, or at the very least listen on Spotify, and I buy all of my games. I don't do so because I think that piracy is a terrible, criminal act, I do so because I want these people to have my money. If it's an awesome game and I want to play it, don't they deserve something back? I used to download prerelease music and games (though I'd usually buy it later), but nowadays I feel like I may as well wait for it to come out.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
The thing I don't like about piracy is that it doesn't support what you like. I buy all of my music, or at the very least listen on Spotify, and I buy all of my games. I don't do so because I think that piracy is a terrible, criminal act, I do so because I want these people to have my money. If it's an awesome game and I want to play it, don't they deserve something back? I used to download prerelease music and games (though I'd usually buy it later), but nowadays I feel like I may as well wait for it to come out.
Same way I feel. The only games I download now are very old games that the creators don't make money on anymore because to buy them you'd have to buy them used. I would rather own the cartridge in most cases so I still try to buy if possible. And same goes for music and movies.

Terry

Smash Ace
Artists make more money since file-sharing has been around than before it.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Something else to consider is how successful the artists have been that accepted or even embraced the fact that their music is going to get stolen. Massive Attack was one of the first bands to release an album online, and it was super popular despite getting meh reviews and being a little out there (Mezzanine). One song opens the Matrix. Another is the theme to House. Radiohead released In Rainbows on a customer-sets-the-price basis, and that was a huge success. Hell, besides Dark Side of the Moon that's the only album I've ever paid for. Lots of artists adopted that model because they realized there's no fighting the tide. You just gotta make the best of it.

I guess what I'm saying is that this is a different environment, and the people who adapted to the market are being rewarded for it. Team Fortress? LoL? Piracy is obviously still not cool, but not because it completely undermines the artist's creation and life. Those who can't afford said creation (e.g. college students; me) can still enjoy it. Drake took that angle with his twitter post on the new album because building goodwill and a bigger fanbase might just be worth some album sales. Don't artists make their bank on concerts anyway?

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Maybe the big difference is that I tend to play indie games and listen to bands that actually need the support. Some of the bands I listen to are on labels that use a donation/pay-what-you-want style for downloads, which I agree is the future and should be more widely used than it is. I personally don't have a problem paying $10 every now and then for a good album, though I know it's out of budget for a lot of people and I haven't even had the spare money to buy an album for a few months. I think that Spotify does a good job replacing piracy, though the paid version might be a little steep. As for artists making their money from concerts, I think that's only a valid excuse if you personally go to their concerts and buy merchandise (the other big revenue source), in which case excuse away. There are bands that can't afford to tour or are unable to for other reasons, so that doesn't universally apply.

To make a point about why pay-what-you-want is awesome, one of my favorite bands is on a label of that style, but needed funding to record a new album. They managed to raise over $3k (their goal) through donations using Indie GoGo (kind of like Kickstarter). That's pretty awesome.

tl;dr bands still need money

Anyway, back on tournament topic: remember that we must be in the basement this time, because the church is doing Crosslines today. I'm expecting us to get three or so new people, so we should have around 12-14 total (a bit higher than I thought considering we aren't having any travelers). Also, I'm going to be there at 12:30, so I advise against showing up earlier than that.

Top Bottom