• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.08 Charizard d.throw options!

Sheepy

Smash Rookie
So. Last night my girlfriend asked me to stay up with her while she does homework. So I decided what better to do than try out Charizard with his new d.throw! I'm impressed. I've been a Charizard main since 3DS pre-Wii U patch and from then on. I've strayed a little to try out others, but I still come back to to this guy. Without further ado, here's my findings.

Everything was tested on Mario at 0% on omega stages. I did some custom set ups with down throw, and finally used another custom besides Dragon Rush. This will have percentages and some notes I wrote down along the way! A couple of moves were performed with a second hand performing DI, and I think I made a note of those. If not, I can try and remember.

(sweet) and (sour) are used often to let you know the spots that I hit Mario with. If other moves have sweet spots that I haven't marked, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I'll try to get that percentage for you!

Note: Everything starts with d.throw.

(1111) d.throw set ups (single move after)
to f.air (sour) 17%
to f.air (sweet) 18%
to u.air 19%
to u./d.smash 22% (u.smash you need to dash over to, d.smash you can walk over and perform the move.)
Note: both wing tips hit Mario, so a possible u.tilt or u.air could also be performed.
to u.smash (on Jigglypuff before I decided I should be using Mario instead of Random) 11% only one wing hits.
to f.smash (head) 20%
to f.smash (neck) 23%
to Flare Blitz 25%
to Rock Smash 35% (VERY hard to hit. I did have it happen once, but didn't get the percent. So I had to manually move to me with one of my toes and perform Rock Smash)
to Rock Smash 20% (catching Mario in air on the way down)
to Rock Smash 26% (if the opponent does not tech the ground)
to Fly 18%
to f.tilt (sour) 13%
to f.tilt (sweet) 16%
(I still need to test sweet/sour n.air hits)

(1111) d.throw set ups (strings)
to n.air to jab 25%
to n.air to jab to u.air 38%
to n.air to u.tilt x2 29% (this was incredibly hard to do.)
to n.air to jab combo to u.smash (both wings hit) 41%
to n.air to jab combo to u.smash (one wing hit) 36%
to n.air to d.tilt 23%
to n.air to jab combo to d.tilt 35%
to f.tilt (weak) to f.smash (head) 27%-30% (I'm not sure where I hit a sweet spot when I tried it a second time, but I had recreated this the exact same way and got this result)
to f.air to jab combo to f.air 36%
to n.air to f.smash 33%
to n.air to jab combo to n.air to f.smash 49%
to n.air to fly 30%

(1111) d.throw to regrab
Before I start to list the things I've done with this,and percentages, etc. I have to say this; this is not guaranteed. This is however guaranteed if they do not DI away, jump, or throw an attack out on the way down to Charizard. His grab range can grab them before they even touch the ground. I messed around with this for a while, even though it's not practical. It was fun to do! I was only also messing around with this because I had heard of the regrab that can happen with f.air, but I found n.air to be more practical.

f.air to regrab d.throw 23%
f.air to regrab u.throw 28%
f.air to regrab b./f.throw 27%
f.air. to regrab d.throw to f.air 34%
n.air to regrab d.throw to f.air 30%

(Dragon Rush)
to Dragon Rush (right after d.throw) 7%
to Dragon Rush (wait for them to be closer to the stage, or jump to DR) 16%/17%
to n.air to DR 24%
to n.air to ab combo to DR 33%-36%
to n.air to u.tilt x2 to DR 40% (really hard and read dependent)
to u.smash to DR 32%-33% (I wish I had a capture card to show how this can be done. Simply, u.smash, they come down, walk away, reverse DR)
to u.smash to u.tilt to DR 40% (same as above. Mario kinda hovered over Charizard after u.smash, so I went for the u.tilt and it was able to connect at the tip)

(Rock Hurl)
to RH to n.air to f.tilt 36%
to RH to n.air to f.smash 46% (no tech of course)
to n.air to RH 27%
to n.air to jab combo to RH 41%
to RH to u.air 35%

(Blast Burn)
to BB 34%
to n.air to BB 41% (walk away, reverse BB)

(Rising Cyclone)
to n.air to RC 35%
to n.air to jab combo to jump RC 47%
to n.air to jab combo to u.smash to RC 59%

(Fireball Cannon) (this will be less damage since it is easy to shield)
to n.air to FC 13% (try to ground them with the n.air)
to n.air to jab combo to jumping FC 34%
to FC (jumping into them) 12%
to FC (no jump into them) 15%

(Fire Fang)
to jumping FF 8%-16% (depends how you time the hit)
to walking FF 18%
to n.air to FF 23%-35% (this was many many many tries and I got a lot of different results)
to n.air to jab combo to FF 27%-37% (again,many attempts, many results)

(1313 Dragon Rush/Rock Hurl)
to n.air to RH to DR 30% (weak hit)
to n.air to RH to DR 40% (strong hit)
to DR (catch in air with a jump) to RH 33% (doesn't seem to work on the ledge)

So. This was my night of findings! I had fun finding all of these. I haven't had a good training mode session since I first started to learn this character. I also need to reiterate that there was no human DI except for a couple of strings.

Try these out for your own! Hope you enjoyed this!

DrChops

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the work! Are these true combos? In training mode, are they registered as combos?

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
In a couple of my matches post-patch, I've been fond of using d-throw to charged up smash.

People often air dodge out of the d-throw expecting some sort of follow up, so you can mix up how you punish them with some very Palutena-inspired up-smashing out of d-throw. Except unlike Palutena, you have a much wider hitbox, and less lag (you also probably won't kill with this set up).

Otherwise I usually go for d-throw to f-air to landing jab mix up. Try not to go too high though, a lot of people can just hit you with their own faster aerials if you fair them at a low percent.

Sheepy

Smash Rookie
In a couple of my matches post-patch, I've been fond of using d-throw to charged up smash.

People often air dodge out of the d-throw expecting some sort of follow up, so you can mix up how you punish them with some very Palutena-inspired up-smashing out of d-throw. Except unlike Palutena, you have a much wider hitbox, and less lag (you also probably won't kill with this set up).

Otherwise I usually go for d-throw to f-air to landing jab mix up. Try not to go too high though, a lot of people can just hit you with their own faster aerials if you fair them at a low percent.
I'm not a fan of fair because it has lag in the end. Nair you can instantly act out of into a jab combo.

Sheepy

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the work! Are these true combos? In training mode, are they registered as combos?
Unfortunately no, but these are able to be done right after another in training mode. So these could happen in matches under conditions that work out for you.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
You gotta do it before you leave the ground. The autocancel frame is 35, and I think zard shorthop lasts exactly 35 frames.

Sheepy

Smash Rookie
Gonna work on some dair* stuff soon. Probably Sunday night, Bloodcross.

And dthrow to pivot Bair does sound really cool actually haha. I'm gonna work on that too.

Last edited:

draquaza

Smash Rookie
NNID
draquaza
if you wanna get fancy down throw into foot stool if they air dodge nair jab reset to f smash flare blitz or into another d throw and fair

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
One thing I like to do is to do a Grab > Down Throw > SH f-air > Jab since f-air does autocancel. I think you can start off the combo with a SH n-air > grab and maybe you could do Jab1 > Jab2 > Grab > [Whatever you want from there]. I've done it many times and maybe I can get a GIF of it on here.

Top Bottom