• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parrying

TravisRoland

Smash Rookie
I hear about this parrying. It seems like every Yoshi uses it. But I barely even have a clue of what it even is or how to do it. Who loves me enough to gimme a hand? <3

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Parrying is a Yoshi tech from Melee, where the first 6 frames of Yoshi's shield will block any attacks without making Yoshi go through hitlag and also makes him grab-immune. PM Yoshi currently only has grab immunity on the first 6 frames (parry frames), the other part of parrying is incomplete and doesn't work.

edit: I think Yoshi's shield had no shieldstun at all in Melee so the significant part was he could jump out during parry frames. PM Yoshi does have shieldstun so a parry in PM would mean Yoshi has no shieldstun in parry frames.

Last edited:

TravisRoland

Smash Rookie
Damn bro... Thats sad. </3 oh well. They will probably add it someday. So you mean.. If I shield and they grab before I get in the 7th frame of my shield. It blocks it?

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Damn bro... Thats sad. </3 oh well. They will probably add it someday. So you mean.. If I shield and they grab before I get in the 7th frame of my shield. It blocks it?
Yeah, all of the grab's active frames have to be in Yoshi's parry frames for Yoshi to parry it. So if they have a grab that lasts a long time like Lucas's dash grab then it's not possible to parry the whole grab, because Yoshi will be grab immune for 6 frames and then he'll get grabbed on the 7th frame because the grab is still out.

Qwinn Yoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoshi
Parry is good, but not melee good.
Don't make it a habit, more then half the attacks in PM brake parry
(No invisibility frames) but its good on grabs tho

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
(No invisibility frames)
I wish Yoshi was actually invisible. Dimension Dino, here we come. :p

But yeah. The grab parry is only if you can predict their grabs consistently. Reacting that fast, while maaaybe possible if you're really on point, is somewhat impractical. Super awesome nonetheless, though.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I wish Yoshi was actually invisible. Dimension Dino, here we come. :p

But yeah. The grab parry is only if you can predict their grabs consistently. Reacting that fast, while maaaybe possible if you're really on point, is somewhat impractical. Super awesome nonetheless, though.
It's ridiculously useful. It's part of my game and it's definitely not impractical. People said the same thing about shines back in the day and that's a 1 frame window. Don't underestimate how good Grab Parrying is, It's something every Yoshi main should have down.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
It's ridiculously useful. It's part of my game and it's definitely not impractical. People said the same thing about shines back in the day and that's a 1 frame window. Don't underestimate how good Grab Parrying is, It's something every Yoshi main should have down.
I also use a grab parry, its called spotdodge.
It can grab-parry every grab in the game, reguardless of length.

Even though I can do it (melee tech), when I have the read ill always spot-dodge because its so much better for parrying a grab.

Also, if you crouch and then shield your hitbox pops into the grab and you grab parry easily. I think this works with most grabs you can duck under depending on which way you face.

Also, if parrying made a return then the mario matchup would become a little easier for yoshi as yoshi could parry -> wavedash -> punish. And the fact that pills are easy to parry from a crouch. Even though this isn't on the list of things the PMBR wants in project m, I think this is no less game breaking than the fact that mario's recovery is incredible.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I also use a grab parry, its called spotdodge.
It can grab-parry every grab in the game, reguardless of length.

Even though I can do it (melee tech), when I have the read ill always spot-dodge because its so much better for parrying a grab.

Also, if you crouch and then shield your hitbox pops into the grab and you grab parry easily. I think this works with most grabs you can duck under depending on which way you face.

Also, if parrying made a return then the mario matchup would become a little easier for yoshi as yoshi could parry -> wavedash -> punish. And the fact that pills are easy to parry from a crouch. Even though this isn't on the list of things the PMBR wants in project m, I think this is no less game breaking than the fact that mario's recovery is incredible.
Um, spotdodge is punishable and last so much longer than a parry. If you parry, you have all day to jump OoS and Nair or shield grab or do whatever you want. Don't doubt how crazy useful the grab parry is. Not only for it's primary function, but for the mental game that it plays on opponents. Do you know how confusing it is for a marth player to whiff a grab on a Yoshi 2 inches away from him? how do you react to that? Is it a glitch? or what? Then you parry him again and he starts to realize it's Yoshi. Then he thinks grabs are unsafe. Congrats, you've just crippled your opponent, free game, move up in bracket.
If you spotdodge instead, they can still grab you after the fact, and they can play their normal game without confusion. Even players who have seen the parry and have been parried numorous times still NEVER expect it. It's janky, it's silly, it doesn't make sense. It's a super valuable tool for Yoshi. Don't sass me on tech I Discovered in PM and I use it very effectively in my game. Spot dodge is spot dodge. Parries are simply more useful on multiple levels and are much much faster

didds

Smash Lord
They both have their uses, grab parry takes a much harder read, but has a lot more reward to it, and spot dodge is as useful as it's always been.

edit: I also would not say that grab-parry is more useful than spot dodge on multiple levels. Spot dodge can still avoid attacks if you misread a grab. Grab-parry is more useful for some situations and result in a better punishment, but it can be punished as well as every other tech if it is read. It's early meta still so grab-parry is going to be that much more effective because as you said, it's silly and janky. A lot of Yoshi's tools have answers that just aren't know yet.

grab-parry is good though :) I need to use it more personally

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Risk vs Reward. Both are useful and have benefits over another. Learn to use both effectively.

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
Nonono, by no means is the grab parry impractical. I worded that poorly, I meant that you basically have to do it by prediction, trying to react that fast is usually implausible, not impractical. My bad. I totally agree, grab parrying is fantastic.

Super Papi

Smash Rookie
I use the parry regularly as well. Honestly sometimes it just comes out without even knowing. It's very useful and imo psychologically bashes your opponent really hard lol

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
I use the parry regularly as well. Honestly sometimes it just comes out without even knowing. It's very useful and imo psychologically bashes your opponent really hard lol
Haha, yeah. Sometimes if they don't know about it they completely lose confidence in their grabs or spam grabs until it works. It just freaks people out a lot of times.

Klypze

Smash Rookie
If Parrying were to be given back to Yoshi, do you guys think that Yoshi's Jump OoS will be removed back to the way it was in Melee?

Last edited:

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
No, i think it will stay.
Parry is only good in certain situations and is tricky to pull off in others, so keeping the jump OoS is important for shielding multi-hit moves and whatnot.

Top Bottom