• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parry-cancelling

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
You can parry into any attack in the game. Tilts, jabs, smashes: you name it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5trFWrIdxk

It's done by inputting your double-jump on the 5th frame of your jumpsquat (Yoshi jumps on frame 6) after a parry.

Just a few things I've tested / looked at the data on:

You can repeatedly parry within an 8 frame window (though I'm not sure why you would want to).
You can D-smash every character in the game if you parry their grab from the front.
You can D-tilt or D-smash any recovery that would hit you from off the edge.
You can D-tilt or D-smash Sheik's Fair if it doesn't autocancel.
You can F-smash any character's smash attack (non multi-hitbox).
You can F-tilt Peach's Fair if it doesn't floatcancel.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
You've always been able to cancel your startup shield animation with a jump, but then you're forced into moves that you can only jump-cancel or aerials.

Or are you saying that cancelling the initial jump into the standing animation was already known?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
cancelling jump with another jump has been known forever. this isn't new.

this is just using it with parry. which is impractical

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
I'm aware that the early DJ to cancel your jump isn't new. It's the concept of implementing it with a parry that is. Innovation is always the combination of older ideas into new ones.

As for practicality...I can already do it about 3/4 of the times I try, and I've only put in 30 minutes or so of work. And, considering it gives Yoshi the option to Jab, Dash attack, Dtilt, Dsmash, or even Ftilt out of parry...

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
I dont think it's impractical at all.
It has been discussed extensively though in some general discussion thread, can't really blame you for not digging through every single post.

Wronskian-Physics

Smash Cadet
Sorry but what is jumpsquatting?

I searched the term and the results were barely any use. Nothing in the "How to Hatch a Healthy" either.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Essentially, a character's jump squat is the amount of time takes to get off the ground after the jump button is pressed. Usually the character undergoes a squatting animation during this time, hence the term "jumpsquat".

Nabbit

Smash Rookie
@EthereaL what buttons do you press to parry cancel i want to get good with yoshi but im not sure what i press to do the move could you please tell me whats necessary to press to do this technique

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
It's actually a simple Double Jump Land (DJL), in which you simply perform your double jump before jumping too high with your first jump. Since Yoshi initially moves downwards during his double jump, he'll land on the ground again with no lag if you did it fast enough; from there you can follow-up with whatever you want.

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
It's actually a simple Double Jump Land (DJL), in which you simply perform your double jump before jumping too high with your first jump. Since Yoshi initially moves downwards during his double jump, he'll land on the ground again with no lag if you did it fast enough; from there you can follow-up with whatever you want.
I've already tried it a few times since this was discovered and i already know how to do it.

Gavin D.

Smash Cadet
Does it work to parry a multi hit attack like fox or falcos d-air? Because once you jump the invincibility is gone right?

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Falco's D-air is a single-hit move, so it works for his. However, it won't work for multi-hit moves like Fox's D-air because they send out multiple hitboxes.

HeyThereListener

Smash Rookie
A little late to the party, is it possible to up smash directly out of parry? or do you need to cancel a jump with a double jump and then up smash every time? I play on dolphin and up on the c stick just makes Yoshi jump out of shield animation.

Top Bottom