• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario for Brawl!

agent_918

Smash Cadet
I know that a lot of people are against him, but I honestly don't know why. It's not like he would be Mario's clone. His attacks could all be paper based, like turning into a paper airplane or turning to his side to "disappear". Post here if you support Paper Mario in Brawl!

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I absolutely love Paper Mario games, but the protagonist of the series is already confirmed, in his real form. I'd rather see Doopliss or Ms. Mowz in 3D representing the Paper Mario series, but that's impossible.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
lol, PAPER MARIO I WANT HIM!!!!!

seriously though, he would have a lot of moves that are easily inventive and such. plus paper mario is such a popular game, as well that i love it.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
I would personally LOVE to see him,he'd have an unique moveset,he could replace Dr.Mario(don't replace Mr. G and W,he was great!) and hes popular. I see no major reason why he shouldn't get a slot.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, it's like Mario, but in a slightly different art style!

And the fact that he can have a unique move set is irrelevant. Even Dr. Mario can have an original move set, but it doesn't mean that he deserves one.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I would like to see Paper Mario, but only if Mr.G&W is back, I would just prefer that they make the game completely 3D and remove G&W all together though (and since Mario is already in the game paper mario wouldn't be added since if he was turned 3d he would just be mario)

NeoFalconHavok

Smash Cadet
This would actually be a pointless person to put in. I mean do we need 3 different mario's for ONE fighting game? Come on, I thought you hated clones.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
This would actually be a pointless person to put in. I mean do we need 3 different mario's for ONE fighting game? Come on, I thought you hated clones.

One, Dr. Mario will probably be replaced,and two,have you even played a Paper Mario game? His moveset would be nothing like normal Mario's if he got in.

NeoFalconHavok

Smash Cadet
Ive played the first one, and i've played doctor mario. No move-set, used Mario's instead. Who said the same cannot be said for paper mario? Lets see, his hammer is the new "super cape".

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I support the idea of Paper Mario but highly unlikely although I do agree that Paper Mario would not be anything like Mario in that he would be able to have his own moveset apart from Mario which btw would be very different in that all his attacks would also be like him lol...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
paper mario can replace g&w
how about we keep G&W (maybe edit him a bit), and have PM not replace anyone? That sounds good (though Doc is as good as gone, other than a costume perhaps). O and anyone (not saying names) who thinks Paper Mario is unoriginal I have 6 words for you:

ACTUALLY play the Paper Mario series!

I think that sums it up, but it is always nice to end with a awsome pic! So I think I got a awsome pic=Paper Mario would own=:) ME!

Marth/Falco Pro

Smash Lord
well, I think he would be broken with grabs if you include the recent super paper mario game. He gets this teammate that helps him grab things from afar and I conclude that he can literally chaingrab in that game. I wouldnt mind him in but we dont need another mario, we need more Fire Emblem and DK ppl imo

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
I hope all of you that are against the idea of having another Mario are also against Zero Suit Samus and Young Link. Doctor Mario, while being a good character to play is in Melee, was a terrible addition. Paper Mario has his own style, and I don't just mean art style. If any of you have played Super Paper Mario you would know that the Pixls would make him be a completely different character.

Luigi is more of "another Mario" than Paper Mario would be.

NeoFalconHavok

Smash Cadet
Tank, get over it. Using the "you better be against the other characters" bid isn't gonna work. Because we already had two mario's. adding 3 mario's is overkill. There hasn't been another samus to even use her as an excuse. Ill give you young link but luigi is an entirely different character, with altered styles. Luigi is mario's brother, ofcourse they will have similarities, but the affects of luigi's moves DIFFER from mario's. Doc's was completely the same besides having some alterations. Besides, the graphics dont make the character on the inside.

fluffy

Smash Champion
how about we keep G&W (maybe edit him a bit), and have PM not replace anyone? That sounds good (though Doc is as good as gone, other than a costume perhaps).
ok maybe.

seeing paper mario against g&w might look sick.

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
Tank, get over it. Using the "you better be against the other characters" bid isn't gonna work. Because we already had two mario's. adding 3 mario's is overkill. There hasn't been another samus to even use her as an excuse. Ill give you young link but luigi is an entirely different character, with altered styles. Luigi is mario's brother, ofcourse they will have similarities, but the affects of luigi's moves DIFFER from mario's. Doc's was completely the same besides having some alterations. Besides, the graphics dont make the character on the inside.
Like people mentioned before, Dr. Mario could be scrapped (and he should be), so we'd have two versions of Mario, just like we'll have two versions of Samus and two versions of Link (assuming Y. Link makes the cut, but I'm not sure about that). Point is, there's no "Mario Overkill".

I only used Luigi as an example because I think he's more like Mario than Paper Mario would be. I know he handles differently, his moves send you in different directions and he has some different moves, yadda yadda. I'm just saying that Paper Mario would be even more different than Mario than Luigi is.

I know graphics don't make the character on the inside, that's why I said "Paper Mario has his own style, and I don't just mean art style."

Believe me, if they add Paper Mario to the game and he plays very closely to Mario, I'll be the first one to be upset with the addition.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Like people mentioned before, Dr. Mario could be scrapped (and he should be), so we'd have two versions of Mario, just like we'll have two versions of Samus and two versions of Link (assuming Y. Link makes the cut, but I'm not sure about that). Point is, there's no "Mario Overkill".
Ah, but Zero Suit Samus is a transformation for Samus. Not a separate character. And Young Link, while I think he should be reduced to a costume (along with all the other incarnations of Link), time line-wise IS a different character. Paper Mario is literally Mario in a two dimensional art style, and his hammer, which, woe and behold, is in non-paper games both before and after Paper Mario for the NS64 (SMRPG, Donkey Kong, Mario Power Tennis, Mario & Luigi, etc.) hardly justifies a new moveset.

I could literally make up a radically new moveset for Mario in his Hawaiian loud shirt from Sunshine, but that doesn't mean that he should get a new moveset.

K4M1K4Z3

Smash Cadet
hes fine as long as hes not a clone, but they shouldnt have much problem with making a unique moveset, he has great moves like the hammer and such

agent_918

Smash Cadet
Paper Mario wouldn't be anything like Mario. He just isn't the same. He has so many move possibilities, like using Up+B to turn into a paper airplane that you could control for a few seconds.

The Director

Smash Lord
I think if they allow Paper Mario in, they should allow Celda in too! The two 'stylized' versions of the two most popular Nintendo characters...

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Having another flat guy in the game would kinda remove GaW's novelty. Actually, one of my friends and I were talking about PM being an alt-costume for GaW. He'd be a smoother animating GaW. It'd be awesome.

Sir Jigsbee

Smash Cadet
I personally love the Paper Mario series (notice my avatar), with Paper Mario 2 being my favourite game ever (until I get Super Paper Mario). And I personally heavily agree with the fact that he should be in - replacing the redundant Dr Mario. For all those people who think Paper Mario will be just like main-series-Mario, I urge you to actually PLAY the Paper Mario games and understand the differences. Firstly and foremostly, Paper Mario has a hammer - and some might say that so did main-series-Mario in Donkey Kong and Superstar Saga - but the thing is, the main-series-Mario in SSBB definately won't have a hammer, so, in this way, Paper Mario won't clash with the normal Mario.

In addition, Paper Mario has neither fireballs nor a cape, so he would probably use more Paper Mario styled attacks in their stead (eg hammers, etc.)

Paper Mario's physics are very different from normal Mario, Paper Mario is more floaty, but with a LOT more traction, and, I think (at least in Super Paper Mario), he has a higher jump.

Plus, he would have inventive dodge moves, like turning sideways or someting.

His up + B move might be turning into a paper plane.

His dair (downwards aerial A) could be his spin jump.

He could use his tornado jump (Paper Mario veterans will know what I'm talking about!)

etc... I personally think Paper Mario could make an excellent addition to the SSB franchise. He would definately, as I have explained, be different to Mario.

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
Ah, but Zero Suit Samus is a transformation for Samus. Not a separate character. And Young Link, while I think he should be reduced to a costume (along with all the other incarnations of Link), time line-wise IS a different character. Paper Mario is literally Mario in a two dimensional art style, and his hammer, which, woe and behold, is in non-paper games both before and after Paper Mario for the NS64 (SMRPG, Donkey Kong, Mario Power Tennis, Mario & Luigi, etc.) hardly justifies a new moveset.

I could literally make up a radically new moveset for Mario in his Hawaiian loud shirt from Sunshine, but that doesn't mean that he should get a new moveset.
ZZS isn't a seperate character? Who knows, maybe she'll require a lot of transforming back and forth to use her properly, but if we've learned anything from Zelda/Sheik, it's that you usually stick to one character or the other. If you don't call Sheik a seperate character, you're kidding yourself.

I also believe that the Adult Link and Young Link in Melee are both from the OoT/MM, so that makes them the same character. Yes, I know that there were different Links in different games, but this is the same Link. Although this will change in Brawl (TP Link)

And why is it that every single person that is against Paper Mario thinks that the only thing different about him is the hammer? If they stuck Paper Mario in Brawl and kept him the same, but gave him a hammer for some of his moves I'd be very let down. The reason is, there is much more to Paper Mario than just his hammer.

The Director

Smash Lord
Meh...ZZS seems like a waste of a character to me...just my opninion, though. I understand there are a lot of people who are looking forward to playing as her.

To me it sounds like that whole 'Zelda/Shiek' transformation novelty.

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
awesome original moveset
A- takes out a fire flower and bursts flames repeatedly.

SMASH
A> hammer
Av- pulls out vivian who uses a flamthorwer attack around paper marios feet.
^A- summons Watt and shoots sparks above his head.

SPECIAL
B- Bow pops out and makes you invisible and impervious to attacks
B>- uses boomer to set a bomb on the ground.
Bv- Thudley comes out and Paper Mario does the ground pound.
B^- folds into a paperplane and flies upward.

Running with A-you hop on Yoshi (from Thousand) and burst forward a bit.

Super: SuperNova- lines dash down on the screen and deal damage to every other player.

Nair- Barry's barrier
Bair- Made Flurrie comes out and blows wind (small distance)
Fair-Ms. Mowz pops out and smooches on a foe and paralyze them.
Dair- Lakilester appears and anyone who comes in contact gets hurt.
Upair- Same as lakilester except with Sushi.

Partners/Pixls used: Lakilester, Sushi, Madame Flurrie, Barry, yoshi, Ms. Mowz, Boomer, Thudley, Vivian, and Watt

No mario moves at all.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
awesome original moveset

SMASH
A> hammer

SPECIAL

Super: SuperNova- lines dash down on the screen and deal damage to every other player.

Nair- Barry's barrier

Partners/Pixls used: Lakilester, Sushi, Madame Flurrie, Barry, yoshi, Ms. Mowz, Boomer, Thudley, Vivian, and Watt

No mario moves at all.
I think you just totally owned all those "Paper Mario is just another Mario clone, even if i never played a Paper Mario game" hating noobs, lol! :chuckle: :laugh: :) Seriously, if you think he could only be a clone, you have to be pretty dumb and ignorant. If you don't want him or don't think he'd work, that is your opinion, but saying he could be a original is well...total crap!

Sir Jigsbee

Smash Cadet
paper mario can replace mario.
Wow! What a bold statement; I can't complain because I love Paper Mario (Perhaps even more than main-series-Mario, Gasp!).

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad said:
awesome original moveset

SMASH
A> hammer

SPECIAL

Nair- Barry's barrier

No mario moves at all.
Also, Meta_owns_ur_dad, what an original moveset; No one can complain about Paper Mario's unoriginality among the cast with nary a single Mario move. Personally, though, I'm not sure about the constant use of Partners for his movesets; Perhaps for some of his moves (ie B-moves) could use partners but I think the rest should mainly involve badges and techniques (ie Spin jump; Ice hammer; etc.).

Fin

Top Bottom