• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena's Smash 4 -> Ultimate Buffs?

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet

Nothing impressive but we get some clear footage of Palutena 1v1, killing with up air, blocking with dash attack, hitting with final smash, and a victory screen.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice

Nothing impressive but we get some clear footage of Palutena 1v1, killing with up air, blocking with dash attack, hitting with final smash, and a victory screen.
Really do hope Palutena will be a better character in Ultimate. I hope experimentation with the character will lead to a find that will boost her viability.

Descended Gaia

Smash Rookie
Her victory screen...man I was so shocked when I saw that animation and the fifteen replay button is probably broken

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
Nice, that Peach vs Palutena definitely shows the invulnerability starts on the dash attack real quick, because if you watch real slowly you see it starts even before the shield wraps around in front of her. Still frame 4 if not slightly sooner.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmV4ubhiIME

So I've noticed that Dthrow to Fair is definitely possible. I was too distracted by the graphics and the effects to see anything else worth noting, but yeah. I'm not sure if there was any DI involved but I'm fairly sure that Dthrow to Fair is a guaranteed combo.
I think all combos we had in Smash 4 still works for Palutena in Ultimate (Jab > into something else might not work anymore though.) It's possible we might even find new ones because of the increased speed and less lag.

Sadly all the smash attacks still looks rather unsafe to use, still a lot of lag on them. Tilts could possibly be more viable (d-tilt specifically.)

Autoreticle still looks like a "Fox pistol" kind of attack, which is just dished out for annoyance. Hopefully the targeting is better in Ultimate. The speed of the projectiles looks faster though.

Reflect has been meshed together with counter, which I'm not too fond of. It was much easier to defend yourself against projectile spammers by just spam reflect yourself. Now you (probably) have to time it.

Explosive Flames doesn't look useful for anything, sadly. It's slow, it's predictable, and you can't combo it to anything. Maybe one combo can be a f-air > Explosive Flame at higher percentages, or it's used to annoy people who want to recover back to the stage.

Descended Gaia

Smash Rookie
Explosive Flames doesn't look useful for anything, sadly. It's slow, it's predictable, and you can't combo it to anything. Maybe one combo can be a f-air > Explosive Flame at higher percentages, or it's used to annoy people who want to recover back to the stage.
I don’t know if I’m absolutely wrong, put EF is a potent kill move? Cause from what I saw, it was able to launch others pretty far in the air

samster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamHdez
Hi friendssss! Jeez, I haven't logged on in ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_9gPEPtkmE

Just wanted to show this video highlighting Palu's fast-fall nair -> utilt. It seems pretty reliable? And the player shows her movement a bit too and the rest of her arsenal, sort of. Just thought I'd post this :]

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Just wanted to show this video highlighting Palu's fast-fall nair -> utilt. It seems pretty reliable? And the player shows her movement a bit too and the rest of her arsenal, sort of. Just thought I'd post this :]
Huh, looks like if you get a double KO it shows +2 on your character. Interesting.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice

Definitely looks like a viable combo, at least at at lower percentages. Too bad the end lag of u-tilt makes her unable for a follow up for u-air. So close!

Rran

Smash Apprentice
So I just learned that Explosive Flame isn't always set off at a singular, fixated distance from Palutena--apparently it can erupt at various degrees from where the player initiates the command, its position dependent upon the analogue stick's horizontal placement...

Luminario

Smash Lord
So I just learned that Explosive Flame isn't always set off at a singular, fixated distance from Palutena--apparently it can erupt at various degrees from where the player initiates the command, its position dependent upon the analogue stick's horizontal placement...
Is it simply different ranges depending on if the input was a tilt or a smash or does it actually read the specific tilt of the stick for a wide variety of ranges?

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
I did not know this, it could potentially lead into a kill combo if you are able to decide its range.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Is it simply different ranges depending on if the input was a tilt or a smash or does it actually read the specific tilt of the stick for a wide variety of ranges?
Unfortunately, I believe it's the former... but even so, that's still more control over the move than I expected!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I may be wrong, but I thought it was whether or not you hold b.
I thought there was only a short range and a long range, but I've just seen it have a very close ranged one, and I'm wondering if it does have more flexibility for range.

I also think that in some cases it explodes on contact, or at least it seems like it sometimes.
They used quite a bit of explosive flame in some bits of this video:

Last edited:

IkaBurstfire

Smash Rookie
Hi, I was the palutena user in that last video. I spent the whole day at the demo testing explosive flame, and someone happened to record it. I didn't know at the time that inputting different stick positions would change the position of explosive flame, so some of them may have been tilts. I was using forward jump ins and trying to activate explosive flame just after the start of the jump. I found that if I hit side B too early, I would go nowhere, too late and explosive flame is too high to hit a standing opponent. Placing flame on a platform has quite a bit more wiggle room. I can't be sure because no one ever remembers if they were mashing airdodge or not, but you might be able to get true combos out of it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hi, I was the palutena user in that last video. I spent the whole day at the demo testing explosive flame, and someone happened to record it. I didn't know at the time that inputting different stick positions would change the position of explosive flame, so some of them may have been tilts. I was using forward jump ins and trying to activate explosive flame just after the start of the jump. I found that if I hit side B too early, I would go nowhere, too late and explosive flame is too high to hit a standing opponent. Placing flame on a platform has quite a bit more wiggle room. I can't be sure because no one ever remembers if they were mashing airdodge or not, but you might be able to get true combos out of it.
Hey so cool that you're here.
I heard someone else on another video say it had to do with the amount of time they held b. Are you sure it was the tilt position that made the difference? It's cool either way, but I'm wondering if there's more than 2 spots of range for it, most of all.

And for the jumping one, are you saying there's a precise timing for it to work right out of jumping? That would be really good for her. Or are you saying there was no way to do it that you found?

Last edited:

IkaBurstfire

Smash Rookie
Hey so cool that you're here.
I heard someone else on another video say it had to do with the amount of time they held b. Are you sure it was the tilt position that made the difference? It's cool either way, but I'm wondering if there's more than 2 spots of range for it, most of all.

And for the jumping one, are you saying there's a precise timing for it to work right out of jumping? That would be really good for her. Or are you saying there was no way to do it that you found?
Wether it's tilt position or time held on the button, when I was at the smash demo, I didn't know about it, so I might have been inputting the short ones and I might not have. Although when reviewing the video it seems like more times than not, I inputted the short one. My point is that I still don't know what the correct input is for a short explosive flame.

What I do know is that when you place explosive flame while airborne, it will stay wherever you placed it regardless of your momentum. So if you activate it while your drifting forward, you can close distance on explosive flame.

At the moment, jumping from the ground, placing explosive flame, and getting a nair or fair off it is just theory. This clip should be taken with a grain of salt, because no one remembered if they hit airdodge or not.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wether it's tilt position or time held on the button, when I was at the smash demo, I didn't know about it, so I might have been inputting the short ones and I might not have. Although when reviewing the video it seems like more times than not, I inputted the short one. My point is that I still don't know what the correct input is for a short explosive flame.

What I do know is that when you place explosive flame while airborne, it will stay wherever you placed it regardless of your momentum. So if you activate it while your drifting forward, you can close distance on explosive flame.

At the moment, jumping from the ground, placing explosive flame, and getting a nair or fair off it is just theory. This clip should be taken with a grain of salt, because no one remembered if they hit airdodge or not.

Good enough to get the wheels going, there being potential on this move. Honestly it's nice to know her new tool might actually be pretty useful. it'll be fun to test out follow ups after it as well as it being used to follow up after knocking them back. Even if there arent a lot of true comboes, it's more hitboxes to throw out, and I wonder if it can be part of some strategies :)

Last edited:

Wonkit

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4nUUmX9PgA

A nice match with Palutena Vs. Pokémon Trainer.

Even though there are a lot of items used, we see a lot more stuff from Palutena.
Just as an FYI, there were a LOT of games last night. In total, we got 6 games of capture footage.

Kyoto Tournament

Game 1: Palutena vs Pokemon Trainer
https://youtu.be/93mQPcu4Hc8?t=2644
Game 2: Palutena vs Ike
https://youtu.be/rucaXGSfriE?t=1647
Game 3: Palutena vs ROB / Greninja
https://youtu.be/rucaXGSfriE?t=3046
Game 4: Palutena vs Meta Knight
https://youtu.be/rucaXGSfriE?t=4575

Things that we learned:
  • General frame data.
    • I plugged numbers from the most recent tournament into a script and basically updated the stuff we had on the Palucord. I'llpost it inthe spoiler below, but everything's on the Palucord if you want it
**Jab1**:
__Hit __ *Frame 8 ± 1* (likely unchanged)
__FAF __ *Frame 24 ± 1* ( 2 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)

**DashAttack**:
__Hit __ *Frame 6 ± 1* (likely unchanged)
__FAF __ *Frame 41 ± 1* (11 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)
NOTES: **STILL INVINCIBLE** :pillowEyes:

**Grab**:
__Hit __ *Frame 6 ± 1* ( 1 frames FASTER than Smash 4 **but is within the margin of error of 1 frames)**
__FAF __ *Frame 41 ± 1* ( 9 frames SLOWER than Smash 4 and is likely nerfed)

**FTilt**:
__FAF __ *Frame 59 ± 1* ( 9 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)

**UTilt**:
__FAF __ *Frame 59 ± 1* ( 9 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)

**DTilt**:
__Hit __ *Frame 14 ± 1* (likely unchanged)
__FAF __ *Frame 39 ± 1* ( 1 frames FASTER than Smash 4 **but is within the margin of error of 1 frames)**

**USmash**:
__Hit __ *Frame 17 ± 1* ( 1 frames FASTER than Smash 4 **but is within the margin of error of 1 frames)**
__FAF __ *Frame 63 ± 1* ( 5 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)

**FSmash**:
__Hit __ *Frame 17 ± 1* ( 1 frames FASTER than Smash 4 **but is within the margin of error of 1 frames)**
__FAF __ *Frame 63 ± 1* ( 4 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)

**DSmash**:
__Hit __ *Frame 17 ± 1* (likely unchanged)
__FAF __ *Frame 69 ± 1* ( 3 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)

**AutoReticle**:
__FAF __ *Frame 69 ± 1* ( 1 frames SLOWER than Smash 4 **but is within the margin of error of 1 frames)**

**ExplosiveFlame**:
__Hit __ *Frame 28 ± 1* (likely unchanged)
__FAF __ *Frame 72 ± 1* (18 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)

**Reflect**:
__Hit __ *Frame 6 ± 1* ( 3 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)
__FAF __ *Frame 56 ± 1* (likely unchanged)
NOTES: HIT refers to reflect in this context

NOTES: This FAF is assuming you reflect on the first frame

**Counter(whiff)**:
__FAF __ *Frame 71 ± 1* ( 4 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)

**NAir**:
__LLag__ *Frame 12 ± 1* ( 8 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)

**FAir**:
__Hit __ *Frame 8 ± 1* ( 1 frames FASTER than Smash 4 **but is within the margin of error of 1 frames)**
__LLag__ *Frame 9 ± 1* ( 3 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)

**UAir**:
__LLag__ *Frame 15 ± 1* ( 9 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)

**BAir**:
__Hit __ *Frame 8 ± 1* (likely unchanged)
__LLag__ *Frame 10 ± 1* ( 6 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)

**DAir**:
__Hit __ *Frame 9 ± 1* ( 1 frames FASTER than Smash 4 **but is within the margin of error of 1 frames)**
__LLag__ *Frame 15 ± 1* ( 3 frames FASTER than Smash 4 and is likely buffed)
NOTES: Hitbox is significantly bigger horizontally

• Palu still has her 2 Frame Negation!
    • In Smash 4, if you teleported at a downwards angle, there would be NO 2 frame whatsoever. This meant there wasn't really any way to exploit the recovery outside of the startup.
    • Looks like this
  • We still haven't seen her 3rd Victory pose. Lol

Oh yeah, and there was this footage as well, but there wasn't anything interesting I think

Last edited:

shammah121

Smash Cadet
Wait could someone repost the videos that show 2 of her victory poses, I didn't notice them and haven't seen them WHOOPS

also, it's nice to see that she received buffs! Explosive flame looks like it's gonna be useful!

Luminario

Smash Lord

Descended Gaia

Smash Rookie

Welp...either unlock Palu at World of Light or 1v1 a thousand times before the challenger screen appears. The other note, damn Sakurai definitely upped the AI in Smash Ultimate.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Welp...either unlock Palu at World of Light or 1v1 a thousand times before the challenger screen appears. The other note, damn Sakurai definitely upped the AI in Smash Ultimate.
I did notice some characters have a bit better AI than others.. or
Maybe the cpu level increases after a lot of unlocks. Either those or villager here was just unlucky.

Top Bottom