• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena, Goddess of Light: Moveset Speculation

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
We saw a lot of stuff for our lovely Lady Palutena, but what about her moveset? So many different and incredible moves! What do you all think they are?

Here is what the Army of Light has come up with!

Heavenly Light: Neutral or Down

Explosive Flame: Neutral or Side

Warp: Up

Rocket Jump: Up

Reflect: Down

Auto Reticle: Neutral or Side

Jump Glide: Up

Counter: Down

Super Speed: Side

Angelic Missile: Side

Celestial Fireworks: Neutral or Side

Black Hole & Mega Laser Combo

If someone can help me find GIFs of any of her other moves, it would be appreciated! I need GIFs of her normal attacks (all of them...lol), Auto Reticle, and Lightweight! Any help would be much appreciated!​

Last edited:

YaBoiobZ

Smash Rookie
Ya I do not understand her moveset it seems like she has WAAAY more than 4 special moves.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
She has a lot of junk going on. I can't tell. She seems to have a terrible run and dash. I'd imagine she'll be no good at tech chasing. But she has that over b? Idk what the heck she has... all I know is that she has incredible options. It seems her second jump can float like peach.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Yeah, that's gonna be tricky to find out, but I'm doing a preliminary judgment based on what I see on the trailer. There probably IS more than 4 specials here, but there was some other stuff that might be different.

1:34 - warp - dodge roll animation
1:35 - Wings - F-smash
1:44 - whatever she was doing to Fox - either a jab or her forward throw
1:45 - on Wii Fit Trainer - Back throw to dash attack
1:48 - pillar of light - unknown, my guess is B attack
1:49 - whirling wand - Nair
1:52 - wings - D smash (see the charging before it)
1:53 - Heavenly Light - A special attack, likely a stored power like Wario Waft
1:55 - Explosive Blank - Possible standard special
1:56 - Warp - different than the one Link had, likely a side special possibility
1:57 - Rocket Jump - obvious Up B special
1:58 - Reflect - Obvious Down B special
2:00 - auto-reticle - Going to go risky and claim this is a jab combo
2:01 - Jump Glide - Can float like Peach?
2:03 - Counter - Possible down b special, may also work as counter up close and reflect after a half second
2:04 - Super Speed (Speed Break) - Possible Smash B special
2:05 - Angelic Missile - Possible Smash B special
2:06 - Celestial Fireworks - U tilt
2:08 - Light weight(?) - Ability to troll Sanic the hedgehog with Sakurai's blessing
2:11 - Black Hole / Mega Lazer - Final Smash

This is a preliminary list and I could be wrong, but these are my guesses so far.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
"Explosive Flame" is actually the term. Reflect Barrier is also one of the special. I'm gonna love trying out her goodness.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
She looks like an area-controlling, keep-away character. She has a lot of moves but some seem to differ on ground and air so that helps solve the mystery but also keep in mind that some of these are VERY likely to be a part of the customizable move-set feature so there's some overlap. I'll give it a shot.

Aerial Up-B (Recovery): Jump Glide
Grounded Up-B: Rocket Jump
Down-B: Reflect
Side-B: Explosive Flame
Neutral B: Heavenly Light

Jab: Staff Twirl
Up-Tilt: Celestial Fireworks
Side-tilt: Autorecital

Up-Smash: Light Beam
Down-Smash: Downward Dual Wing-Smash.
Forward-Smash: Forward Dual Wing-Smash

Dash-Attack: Shield Bash

N-Air: Aerial Staff Twirl

Forward-Throw: 3 point-blank shots then throw
Back-Throw: Overhead-throw

Final Smash: Black Hole + Mega Laser combo.

Options that are likely customizable moves
Counter
Angelic Missile
Lightweight
Super Speed
Warp

It depends on what her standard moveset actually is but I actually might main her. I was thinking secondary for a too-cute Pit+Palutena thing originally but that moveset is something else.

shyguy7829

Smash Rookie
Looked at the trailer a few times, so dirty quick analysis.

The first attack Palutena shows off is a strong wing flap. Fsmash, probably.
The next one is a telekinetic twirl, so ftilt.
She does some sort of light pulse on Fox, jab combo?
Back throw to dash attack on Wii Fit Trainer.
Does Pikachu's Down-b on DK, up smash? Not as much knockback, but still seems ridiculous for a smash attack.
Neutral air on Kirby and Lucario. Very similar to Pit's. Might be good for combos.

Everything else is a special. With custom specials like the Miis, I can see this getting very complicated, especially for tourneys.
Up-b's(?): Hang Glide, Rocket Jump, Warp
Had to look at these several times. Out of all of them Hang Glide is probably the worst. From the trailer, you can see her barely coming above the middle platform after it. She does have tremendous horizontal movement, but I doubt she gets Peach's ability to glide/unglide at a whim. Hang Glide is asking for a Falcon Knee to the face. Rocket Jump has better vertical trajectory, but that's it. No horizontal recovery whatsoever. No evidence of warp moving in all 8 directions, but if it does work like that, then people will already know how to counter it because it works just like Mewtwo's/Zelda's Up-b, which are both predictable.

Neutral-b's(?): Auto Reticle, Explosive Flame
Not sure how Auto Reticle works, but seems to come out pretty fast and does have hitstun. Safe projectile maybe? Explosive Flame is like a better Zelda Neutral-b. Was considering to put Celestial Fireworks here, but it could easily be an up-tilt.

Side-b's(?): Angelic Missile, Super Speed, Lightweight
Angelic Missile is a mix between an uncharged and a misfired Luigi Missile. Super Speed looks pretty good, but if it can be used in mid-air, it will be like the spacies' side-b. Unfortunately, this means it can be intercepted, so we'll see if it's actually any good. Lightweight has amazing mobility, but I'm going to hazard a guess and say that Palutena also gains better jumps and aerial mobility and overall becomes more floaty than she already is. Lightweight seems like an all or nothing kind of move. Won't be surprised if Palutena dies at 50 or so percentages with Lightweight on.

Down-b's(?): Heavenly Light, Reflect Barrier, Counter
The meat and bones of Palutena's stage control game. Heavenly Light is a large area of denial attack that only seems to work on airborne opponents. Mario is on a platform and he doesn't seem to have dodged at all because he's not affected by the attack. Rosalina is airborne and she gets hit. Great against those who have a big aerial game like Falcon and the spacies. Terrible against those with a strong ground game like Little Mac and Mario. Reflect Barrier is amazing. It moves slowly and reflects both players and projectiles. Going to be very useful for edgeguarding and denying space on the stage. Counter works just like Marth's.

As I said, quick dirty analysis. Some of these specials might be in the wrong place, or might not be specials at all. But I wouldn't count it out either. Sakurai revealed custom moves earlier and showcased them with the Mii Fighter. So far all the evidence in place makes Palutena a zoner that excels at controlling the stage, but lacks combo opportunities and is quite floaty. She's like a souped-up Rosalina that's much easier to kill.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I wonder if she will have two modes that can be toggled with a Special Move such as Down Special. This changes her other three specials so she has a total of six.

Tackman91

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tackman91
3DS FC
0259-0399-7980
I find it quite hilarious that a character many thought wouldn't have enough moves to be in a fighting game ends up having too many moves to fit!

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
I thought, "Wait, why mostly powers?"

This girl's moveset is gonna be a doozy. :V

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
Her moveset is really, really difficult to predict. But she looks like an awesome character and a possible main for me (I like characters that control space well) even though her metagame might be complicated. Hopefully we'll get updates on her playstyle through pic-of-the-day

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I feel like we were thrown too many curve balls in such a short amount of time. Definitely will be using her as I enjoy me some KI, but I'll leave the speculating to you guys. I'm eager to see what you all come up with, but I need more clarification before I join in on this for real...my head hurts.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Her move-set looks really interesting, can't wait to see more footage of her.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
This moveset is all over the place.

Like the only thing I have pinned down is Celestial Firework as an Up Tilt.

Fortunately though, we'll probably be getting more info on her in the coming days.

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
When Kirby copies Palutena, he obtains her staff.

Leading me to think this might be her neutral special:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
It would actually make sense if Palutena had a customizable move-set with the powers since that's how it was in Kid Icarus Uprising. I'm against it though.

Snailtopus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JoeySnail
And how would customizable movesets work on For Glory mode? An online competitive needs some kind of regulation and standards, and ridiculously designed movesets (especially on FD only) could potentially suck the fun out of it

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
And how would customizable movesets work on For Glory mode? An online competitive needs some kind of regulation and standards, and ridiculously designed movesets (especially on FD only) could potentially suck the fun out of it
It's been confirmed that you can't use custom movesets in For Glory mode. You can't even use them online at all unless you're playing with people on your friend list.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
... Predicting all those moves is hard.

I'm pretty sure the dodge is the warp technique, though. Also, the pillar of light against DK looks like an up-Smash.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i just gotta say, i think light weight is just her dash speed. is she faster than sonic?

now on to the moveset speculation:

Jab: light pulses

Dash Attack: shield bash

Ftilt: tirl staff forward
Dtilt:???
UTilt: holy pillar / celestial fireworks

Fsmash: double wing flap forward
Dsmash: double wing flap down
Usmash: heavenly light

Fspecial: explosive flame / angelic missle / super speed
Dspecial: counter / reflect
Uspecial: warp / rocket jump / jump glide
Nspecial: auto reticle

Fair: ???
Dair:???
Uair:???
Bair:???
Nair: staff twirl center

everyone is right.... she has too many specials.

Last edited:

HeroG

Smash Apprentice
Maybe alot of these moves are the custom moveset that they have been showing off for all the different characters?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Maybe alot of these moves are the custom moveset that they have been showing off for all the different characters?
It is. Said during the Round Table:

"Palutena is different. she has unique special attacks; not derivative"

I wonder how many characters will be like this.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I wonder what that means. So it looks like Palutena has a lot more moves in store, and will be a potential versatile character that takes a while to get used to.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I want you all to think about something.

It's been confirmed that all the powers shown in the trailer are parts of a custom moveset for Lady Palutena. However, custom movesets aren't usable online if you aren't playing with friends. With that in mind...

Which four powers make up Lady Palutena's default moveset?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Reflect Barrier and Warp should be a must, for Side-B and Up-B respectively. I'm not sure for the other 2 just yet, though if I had to choose. Autoreticle for neutral B, and Counter for Down-B to show off her defensive potential.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I want you all to think about something.

It's been confirmed that all the powers shown in the trailer are parts of a custom moveset for Lady Palutena. However, custom movesets aren't usable online if you aren't playing with friends. With that in mind...

Which four powers make up Lady Palutena's default moveset?
This is what I've been wondering, since chances are I'll stick mostly with the default movesets for consistency.

I'm pretty certain the reflect barrier will be default, since it was in the trailer. Everything else would just be wild guessing.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So her gimmick is extensive move customization then.

Makes making a moveset pretty easy.

Neutral Special: Auto-retical, Explosive Flame, Heavenly Light
Side Special: Super Speed, Lightweight, Angelic Missile
Up Special: Rocket Jump, Jump Glide, Warp
Down Special: Reflect, Counter, Celestial Firework? (kinda the only spot left)

Kirby gets the staff as her costume so the neutral special likely involves using the staff.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am confused, I read the entire thread expecting some definitive answers. At least I am not alone; I would hate to be the only one that did not understand what moves were which. I still have a feeling that we may have only seen her default moves though, she would presumably be the only newcomer that used move-set customization to beef up their trailer. I suppose Mii Fighters did to an extent, but they made that notion overt.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I'm kinda annoyed they included the customizable moves in the trailer.

Now it's going to be forever to figure out what her default move set is.

I am confused, I read the entire thread expecting some definitive answers. At least I am not alone; I would hate to be the only one that did not understand what moves were which. I still have a feeling that we may have only seen her default moves though, she would presumably be the only newcomer that used move-set customization to beef up their trailer. I suppose Mii Fighters did to an extent, but they made that notion overt.
See here: http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry2.html

Palutena and the Mii Fighters are the only ones confirmed so far to have customizable moves which are completely distinct (as opposed to Mario's 3 variations on the Fireball, for example). So it makes sense for her trailer to have some of the non-default moves in it.

It's pretty hard to make sense of her move set from the trailer without assuming we're seeing more than four B attacks.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm kinda annoyed they included the customizable moves in the trailer.

Now it's going to be forever to figure out what her default move set is.

See here: http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry2.html

Palutena and the Mii Fighters are the only ones confirmed so far to have customizable moves which are completely distinct (as opposed to Mario's 3 variations on the Fireball, for example). So it makes sense for her trailer to have some of the non-default moves in it.

It's pretty hard to make sense of her move set from the trailer without assuming we're seeing more than four B attacks.
Thank you very much for the source, I was not aware that that was what was entailed. However, I suppose that is a great thing. Palutena might just be one of the most unique characters for it. I am assuming that the counter and the reflect are both potential d-specials. I am probably going to opt out of the counter as I never find those terribly useful.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Welp, future Palutena mains better fight for these customizations in tournaments. I won't even use her until we get some definite ruling so I won't have to get reused to it. Might be a while too, with the Wii U version coming later this winter. :(

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Rewatched the Palutena trailer.

She names exactly 13 moves. Black Hole was clearly Final Smash material. Which means the other 12 named moves are probably her 12 special attacks.

But like I said, it'll be forever til we find out which ones are the defaults...

Like someone else said... Palutena mains probably want to push for custom special sets to be allowed in competitive play.

Top Bottom