• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Palutena Changes in Patch 1.11

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
Alright, so this might be jumping to conclusions, but given the arrival of new stage(s) and the length of time since the last update it stands to reason Smash 4 might be updated to 1.11 at midnight or so; if that's the case I want to waste no time in creating a place to easily find info on how the beautiful goddess of light is different from patch 1.10 (if she is altered at all that is). I'll personally be up at 4 a.m. or a little after to check out the game for myself to see if these is truly an update and the changes that take place if there is. I have all the data on damage and such from patch 1.10 at the ready, as well as a good grasp on how her throws and combos work, so the one thing I may need help with is frame data if any of that changes.

As usual, let’s make this topic ONLY for patch notes from the newest patch for this specific character, rather than mixing it with other things.

If you can CONFIRM a change please do so; if it is an SPECULATED change make sure it is labeled as such, and ask someone else to verify (if anyone has the previous version to compare to you are encouraged to do so :)

Try to scan all previous entries for information before posting just to be sure everything is as correct and organized as possible; edit your posts rather than spamming.

Have fun, and get hyped!

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I was just gonna make a post about this before people start talking about it,

if it is an SPECULATED change make sure it is labeled as such
^ please do this. Don't post a "confirmed change" unless you have tested it on an updated game and an unupdated game and can see a clear difference.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Guys.......I think the infinite lightweight exploit is gone. I'm not completely 100% sure, but I haven't been able to perform it in patch 1.1.1. So either I'm messing up, or.....

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
**** now that customs are like all RIP, they are balancing custom moves lol

I wonder if this has anything to do with them wanting us to use custom moves at tournaments or if custom moves were just lower on the priority of receiving attention

anyway no changes to palu's defaults as confirmed by thinkaman, QQ, but at least others are getting nerfed

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
Well, I for one am kinda glad the glitch is gone. What I'm not glad about is everything else staying the same as far as I can tell *sighs* Why oh why Sakurai could you not improve your own character in some way?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Well, I for one am kinda glad the glitch is gone. What I'm not glad about is everything else staying the same as far as I can tell *sighs* Why oh why Sakurai could you not improve your own character in some way?
Like I said before, the character was designed and balanced with custom moves in mind, so he probably thinks she's good enough with them on.

At the very least, customs apparently being balanced might give them a shot of being revisited in tournies.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
"Speculated change"
You can react faster out of down throw

Up throw is now a combo throw (low percentage)

Fair has even less landing lag

Forward throw increased to 9%

Forward and down smash feel a tad faster

Jab feels faster, but jab juggling is gone

Grabs feel faster (like Sheik fast)

Down tilt looks like hit has a more slanted angle

Fair has more kbg (kills at the ledge at 140%)

Last edited:

TheRealPalutena

Smash Cadet
"Speculated change"

Going to go test some of this now. Will let you know if I can confirm or find anything new.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
Rest in Peace, infinite prince.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Yeah, seems like the only change was the removal of the lightweight glitch. You can really tell they were putting all this customs balance off for later since that seemed like an obvious one to fix. I think people could agree that was an inevitable bug fix.

This entire patch could be thought of as a slight "buff" to palutena though; with all of these customs balance changes (and maybe there's more in the future) custom tournaments may see the light of day again, and Palutena is already considered a huge threat there.

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
"Speculated change"

Alright, now that I'm back from work and have the time to really study the angles and frames (as well as I can since I don't have a second platform on patch 1.10 to compare to), I have been trying to detect any small changes there may be; I think most things suggested so far are not accurate, plus I feel in my gut some of things I think I may be seeing is just my imagination, but here's what I've got so far.

First off, forward throw already did 9% in 1.10, and I feel the knockback and trajectories when she throws are the same.

All aerial attacks feel the same to me in terms of start-up speed, although I want to say chaining attacks in the air is a tad easier now (that is speculation).

Jab seems untouched, and I can still juggle just fine.

Grab does feel faster, and reaction time out of grab may be better. Down throw to up-air may work better now.

As for the custom moves thing, I'm all for customs and I like seeing them receiving attention. It may be what's needed to get the majority of players to want them in tournaments, but to be honest I'm doubting it. But hey, even if it only improves friendly matches it's cool to see. I just was hoping to see more default things like reflect improved a little.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Mentioned this in another thread, but in Tourney Mode, there's now 1v1 Custom Glory brackets that only allow for custom specials, disabling equipment. If you wanna play Custom Palutena in an even remotely competitive environment, for the time being just play these.

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
Mentioned this in another thread, but in Tourney Mode, there's now 1v1 Custom Glory brackets that only allow for custom specials, disabling equipment. If you wanna play Custom Palutena in an even remotely competitive environment, for the time being just play these.
Dude, that news just made my day; thank you Sakurai for adding that! That could perhaps be what customs need to be taken seriously in the future.

Edited: Don't get me wrong, I can still play Palutena in default and defeat most people, but having the option to play with her custom moves is amazing.

Last edited:

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
She needs so many buffs on her default set...maybe next patch in October?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Guys, I think Explosive Flame can no longer hit people out of their shield. Tried it against a friend and it doesn't seem to work anymore.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
How does the shield pressure effect our princess?

I've read that all shield stun has increased by 5 frames. Means that it's safer to approach with fair (or even nair) on shield

But I'm wondering about how this effects jab.
Usually the jab-multihit can be a good mixup to catch spotdodges, but if they catch you out and you do the multi hit on shield, they can wait for the final hit and punish.

Is the final hit safe on shield now? Even if it isn't, they could SDI towards you for the punish, but a lot of players may not respond in that way.

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet

I've read that all shield stun has increased by 5 frames. Means that it's safer to approach with fair (or even nair) on shield

Usually the jab-multihit can be a good mixup to catch spotdodges, but if they catch you out and you do the multi hit on shield, they can wait for the final hit and punish.

Is the final hit safe on shield now? Even if it isn't, they could SDI towards you for the punish, but a lot of players may not respond in that way.
Since it's across the board I doubt we'll benefit from it much more than anyone else in terms of the jab (especially since I typically use it to juggle or lead into grab anyway), but I do wonder if this'll make up-tilt a safer option.

For what it's worth, at least Nairo has said he barely notices the difference in most fights; I reckon we'll need to wait until Bighouse to know how it effects high skill matches.

Edited: Actually, for that matter all Palutena's tilts may now be better options since they all are multi hit and can push away opponents a little if blocked. I just hope the characters with insanely fast jabs like Captain Falcon don't benefit the most from this.

Last edited:

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
It'll help with fair and normal jab, since it's quite strong for a jab, but I do think that it may make the game a little bit harder for us, since we won't be able to shield grab as easily.

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
It'll help with fair and normal jab, since it's quite strong for a jab, but I do think that it may make the game a little bit harder for us, since we won't be able to shield grab as easily.
True, but the grab is quick enough and has a good reach so I don't think it'll be much of a hindrance. And after watching Nairo and ZeRo play some friendly matches recently I must say I can barely tell the difference, although to be fair they power shield most of each other's attacks lol. I'm thinking when all's said and done it's going to change the way the game is played but won't affect tier lists much at all.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Since it's across the board I doubt we'll benefit from it much more than anyone else in terms of the jab (especially since I typically use it to juggle or lead into grab anyway), but I do wonder if this'll make up-tilt a safer option.

For what it's worth, at least Nairo has said he barely notices the difference in most fights; I reckon we'll need to wait until Bighouse to know how it effects high skill matches.

Edited: Actually, for that matter all Palutena's tilts may now be better options since they all are multi hit and can push away opponents a little if blocked. I just hope the characters with insanely fast jabs like Captain Falcon don't benefit the most from this.
You're going to have to wait until after Big House. They're using 1.1.0 there.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Question. If people who play Palutena are getting good results on For Glory (and perhaps other modes), would that influence Sakurai and the team to not buff her? I think about Wii Fit Trainer who is another character I like. For awhile, she didn't get significant buffs. She FINALLY got a good buff on one of the last few updates (can't remember which one). I'm not sure how her results were before that buff. This is just something I thought about.

Last edited:

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
Question. If people who play Palutena are getting good results on For Glory (and perhaps other modes), would that influence Sakurai and the team to not buff her? I think about Wii Fit Trainer who is another character I like. For awhile, she didn't get significant buffs. She FINALLY got a good buff on one of the last few updates (can't remember which one). I'm not sure how her results were before that buff. This is just something I thought about.
Online results is part of it, and honestly I think she isn't all that good in terms of online win percentage last I saw although that was awhile ago. Sakurai also does watch large tournament results like EVO from what I hear, and everyone needs to keep in mind he tries to make fighters somewhat balanced in both 2 player, 4 player, and even 6 or 8 player smash, so if a character is considered 'bad' in 1 vs 1 but good in teams or 4 player free-for-all that will limit how much buffing they get.

Sakurai has also stated fighters are meant to be balanced for 'average' skill players, as opposed to top notch players, and most experts like Nairo have said many times you would need to be a top tier smash player before your skill outpaces the potential of your character, not to mention even ZeRo has said most low tier characters are underrated and underdeveloped and are much better than most people give them credit for.

And finally, I think Sakurai hesitates to buff Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena too much because they come from a game he created, and he doesn't want people to get the wrong impression that he favors them above the rest. I know, those who would think or say that would be silly or foolish to say that, but it is something to keep in mind when considering how he thinks in terms of overall game balance. Oh, and given customs is a thing and the newest patch balanced out some of those it's not unreasonable to assume Sakurai keeps how a good a fighter is with custom moves enabled in mind as well.

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Well even with customs on i think Palutena could use some buffs. +I wish AR had more range.

TheRealPalutena

Smash Cadet
I just wish for a Ftilt recovery and/or Startup buff. Less recovery on Reflect...i'd be fine with that. Currently if you hit someone with the reflect unblockable its punishable ON-HIT. Unless of course your hitting them off a platform or offstage maybe.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we're going to get tilt buffs. They're well animated and they can have some use for stopping dodges. The clank mechanic sucks and I think that should be changed, would make it much safer if we don't have to be stuck in it.

Reflect definitely needs a buff. Move needs more use against none projectile characters, currently it's an annoyance/bm at best.

RorioPizazzle

Smash Rookie

Over the past few days it seems that sadly, the final hit is definitely still punishable. I always approached with nair myself, so It hasn't affected me too much. In fact, I've learned to counter the shields by pivot grabbing out of the nair; that is, because it takes me a little ways away from my opponent, I dash and as they try to dash in to punish, surprise them with said pivot grab.
For some reason it always catches people off guard

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Custom moves really added a lot to our goddess's competitive repertoire, so it's sad to hear the Lightweight glitch is (finally) gone, and that Explosive Flame's final hit is no longer unblockable. :(

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
The last hit of explosive flame not being blockable takes away so much of that move. I saw it as a long range grab to knock out campers or for a tech chase read, seems pointless now.

Top Bottom