• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pacman tech in-depth! How to Footdive! Discuss uses below!

Useful or nah?

• Oh yeah, high hopes!

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Nah.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Needs to see use on matches first, duh.

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
I am so excited!:joyful:
First of all, last week I posted this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-fütdive-the-triangle-jump-what-is-this-tech.402210/#post-19223839 Please read the OP up to the "HOW TO DO IT"

It introduced the footdive, a somewhat unknown trick that Pacman can do with his down air where he can fast fall it wherever he is, even if he's only an inch off the ground from a jump. It makes for a new movement option, and even an odd gimp I did one time while messing around with it( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgXmJgaJaG8 ). However, I made that post only after about half an hour spent messing around with it in training mode, so my understanding of the execution was hardly any better than anyone else's; I wasn't even consistent with it myself when I made that post.

I've been spending more time with it, studying videos of my hands during successful attempts, and lo and behold, I made a breakthrough on exactly how the execution works.

One week later, I've understood, perfected, and evolved the execution of the move. Below, I leave an in-depth guide on how to perform it 100% on demand with the different c-stick mapping. Try it out for youself, then see how it works on stages with platforms! Then leave an opinion below please.:4pacman:

Note:I personally don't recommend changing the c-stick from what you are used to just for this. It's doable both ways

1. You have c-stick set to "Smash" (Harder)
First of all, these controls make it harder to perform quickly in the air, BUT you gain access to a new tech as a result. I'd practice this version if you prefer your c-stick set to smash, it doesn't come easy.

There are 3 different ways to perform this, and a bonus that comes from using this method:

1. FROM THE GROUND: This is by far the easiest way to do this. When on the ground, simply hold down (:GCD:) before you jump, and tap jump and down on the c-stick as quickly as you can :GCX:+:GCCD:. A successful execution will lead to you jumping about one inch off the ground and getting one kick of dair off before you're at the staring height. Good for getting down from platforms quickly and going deep off stage.
  2. FROM THE AIR: DIFFICULT METHOD: Conversely, this is the absolute hardest way do this tech, and the only ay I am still not confident enough to say I've 100% mastered the timing. The trick to doing this quickly is to hold :GCD: before you dair :GCCD: again, but this time you must press down within a couple frames of your dair. The timing is very strict, and if you want to do it quickly you must not hold :GCCD:. A successful execution leads to a fastfall dair before you should be able to fastfall.
  3. FROM THE AIR: DOUBLE JUMP METHOD: If you still have your double jump in the air, it's a lot easier to spend your double jump on the tech. Hold:GCD:before you airjump and to the rest as you would on the ground.
  4. BONUS: Only with these controls can you delay the fastfall, meaning you don't have to fastfall on the startup of your dair. It's pretty easy. Just do any of the methods above and HOLD THE C-STICK:GCCD: until you want to fastfall. This allows you to fastfall after one, two, or three kicks of you so desire.
2. You have c-stick set to "attack"(Easier)
This tech becomes a LOT easier with the c-stick set to attack, requiring very little practice to master. However, delaying the fastfall is much more tricky.
This tech is only performed one way with these controls: :GCCD:*beat*:GCD:Simply dair with the right stick then press down after a very short pause. Once you get the beat, it's very easy, and can be performed an inch of the ground like the other one if performed quickly enough.

(To delay, hold:GCCD: until you want to fastfall. Then tap :GCD:. It sounds easy but it's oddly finicky, seems to only work on certain frames for some reason, needs more testing)

So, that's how you do it! Should I author a guide about this technique? Do you think it's pointless to learn?(I personally have found this helpful for movement, especially the delayed version) Have any trouble performing it? Leave your questions and opinions below!

...If Sakurai made this move autocancel or reduced the landing lag...*sigh*:c

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
As a 3DS only user (too poor for Wii U atm), I am envious.
You can do it on 3DS too, it's just considerably harder as it requires you to do almost all of the inputs at the same time since you have no C-stick.

I've been in France since he found this so all of my testing with it has been on 3DS, so I know it's doable.

Megamon

Smash Cadet
You can do it on 3DS too, it's just considerably harder as it requires you to do almost all of the inputs at the same time since you have no C-stick.

I've been in France since he found this so all of my testing with it has been on 3DS, so I know it's doable.
I think I've done it a few times, but I guess I see it as something very difficult, and choose to focus on other stuff with him, since he requires a bunch of concentration.

Last edited:

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Agreed. This can be a good way to deny the ledge.
In response to this, I went to training mode with a ROB and threw him offstage. Sure enough, it does ledge deny, and I was able to stomp ROB until he ran out of gas consistently. It was more funny than anything, but I think it will work better than a jab for that purpose.

Even if you don't kill the opponent by ledge denying you can run off and back air while they're unable to grab the ledge(I've done this in a real match against a Greninja, stage spiked him)

makemesmellbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
makemesmellbad
Switch FC
SW-1177-4478-7793
I was pretty confident this tech would help Pac's gimp game. Now we have a safer ledge denial, cherries, f-air, d-air into trampoline, Hydrant, and weak n-air as strong gimping options. The battles are looking more offstage than ever!

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Not going to lie, when I first saw this tech in the other thread, I thought it'd be useless. Nice to see you found some application for it. I've been wanting to find a way to deny the ledge against people who recover low with Pacman and this looks like a neat new option to add to our gameplay!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I can't test this right now, but could someone check to see if we can do this to deny Bowser Jr. the ledge without giving him back his UpB? (Press A after taking a hit as Bowser Jr. out of the UpB and if the hit is strong enough you will get the car back.)

If it doesn't, this tech hurts hit really badly.

(If someone could test this before Saturday, as I have a decent B Jr. in my pool, I would be quite grateful.)

Last edited:

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
I can't test this right now, but could someone check to see if we can do this to deny Bowser Jr. the ledge without giving him back his UpB? (Press A after taking a hit as Bowser Jr. out of the UpB and if the hit is strong enough you will get the car back.)

If it doesn't, this tech hurts hit really badly.

(If someone could test this before Saturday, as I have a decent B Jr. in my pool, I would be quite grateful.)
As long as you don't land the last hit, you can hit him once, even twice, and drag him down while he loses his upB. Tested this with my brother(also a CPU, but CPUs don't try to sweetspot the ledge so it was really hard to cajole them, could only get it in position and land it once, so whatever), who secondaries him. If they go under the lip to sweet spot it, you can get the drop on the ledge on him. It worked so well he had to start not sweetspotting the ledge hoping I jumped the gun, then he adapted by activating the upB with more horizontal distance from the ledge, which makes the spacing really difficult, because the couple times I missed I flew right into the Clown Car explosion.(Good thing I learned to tech)

Though now that I think about it that just makes him more vulnerable to runoff nair...

Also. couldn't save it because it was infinite timed smash and I'm an idiot:redface:

Another thing about Bowser Jr. MU: Clown Kart Dash sucks :laugh:, you don't have to respect it at all. Freakin' cherries beat it so hard they don't even disappear when they hit him while he's using the Dash(no Idea why, but I could easily pick them up. maybe something to do with his funky hitbox). Using down tilt sent us both flying, and funny enough even a well-timed reverse-facing Single Stomp dair beats it outright(I did that twice against the CPU on reaction:rotfl:).

EDIT: Woah, you can delay the fastfall with tilt C-stick. Very weird though.

Last edited:

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Agreed. This can be a good way to deny the ledge.
I went to FG and tried to see which characters were vulnerable to on ledge and offstage footdives. Most characters can avoid it by not going over the ledge, but then you can just chase them with it off the ledge.

Characters offstage footdive was effective on so far:
:4myfriends:Wow, can't believe I found one of these. Anyway, I ledge denied when he recovered too high/not far enough with Quick Draw then ran past him offstage and used the lingering hitbox of bair to stuff the Aether. He no-teched off the stage and I footstooled him. Poor Ike:rolleyes: Later I actually stage spiked him with an offstage footdive. Only time that's happened:upsidedown:
:4falcon:Yep, got it to work again. If he upBs too close to the ledge you can stomp him once without getting grabbed. Like we needed something else in this MU...
:4fox:This was kind of a weird one. The Fox kept attacking me offstage while I had a stock lead and I suicide footdived. Two soft hits and he failed to recover with Fire Fox. 1st rule of Fur ******ry kids.
:4littlemac:HAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it wasn't even necessary he was already going to die.

Character I failed/ are on my hitlist
Failed:4mario::4ganondorf:(Actually saved him with offstage footdive):4megaman:Him too idk why
Hitlist:4bowserjr:(in a real match):4diddy::4duckhunt::4link::4ness::4olimar::rosalina::4jigglypuff::4rob::4luigi:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
When you hit Ness or Diddy with this through the stage, does it cause a trade?

makemesmellbad

Smash Apprentice
NNID
makemesmellbad
Switch FC
SW-1177-4478-7793
The footdive doesn't work on Sonic during the beginning of his up B because of his invincibility, but you can catch him repeatedly if he tries to recover too low. After that, it's a battle of who can maintain input.

Last edited:

TomaHawk_Hoax

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrBashguy
I came across this on accident when trying to get back on ledge but didn't think much of it because Pacs Dair does not autocancel (makes me sad) but I'll see about this in future.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Am I missing something or does that video simply show a dair at the ledge?

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
So if I'm understanding this correctly, you can use this to hit people during that two frame window when they're grabbing the ledge?

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so after watching the clip a few times. I realized, it's not a spike, falcon panic airdodged(despite there being absolutely nothing pacman couldve done as a follow up lol) and the tiny amount of momentum from the fast fall multiple hits thing we all know about combined with the airdodge prevented him from recovery. First off this is a nice tech, but I feel like for killing it's about as effective as trying to spike with little mac.

Top Bottom