• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man's Dash Attack is Too Good

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I've only been playing Pac-Man for like half a day. And what have I noticed?

Pac-Man's Dash. A three-hit move that moves him forward quite a bit, having nice knockback on the last hit.

So what makes this an amazing dash attack?

After it is performed, it's got pretty much NO endlag.

What does this mean?

It means Pac is broke, is what it means XDD

No seriously, let's analyze options (all of these need to be performed right after a dash attack to be fully effective. Don't wait, cuz Pac-Man sure doesn't have to.)

OPTIONS:

Dash attack -> shield

Dash attack -> spotdodge

Dash attack -> roll

On shielding opponents:

Dash attack -> Fire Hydrant (As Dash attack will place you right next to your shielding opponent, almost on top of him, if you fire hydrant and they drop their shield to grab you, fire hydrant will nail them. Will also make you stand on the fire hydrant, to avoid any getup attack, and can also avoid you getting grabbed in case the fire hydrant didn't nail your opponent)

Dash attack -> grab (possibly the easiest way to grab someone with PacMan is to ram at someone's shield, then grab them right after the dash. PacMan's closerange grab is actually really fast.)

And my favorite:

Dash Attack -> UpB (The upB will actually bounce the opponent out of their shield, damaging them. They will also rise higher than you, so you have time to land and either airchase or juggle.)

On spotdodging/rolling opponents

Dash attack -> UpB (this is an eject button. They can't punish you after the missed dash if you nope away)

Dash attack -> another dash attack (if they roll away after your dash attack, don't fret. You can start a new one almost immediately after. Your opponent can only hope to either roll again to the corner, where you got him trapped, or roll behind you, in which case you can actually dash back and do a dash attack, again, almost immediately after the current one finishes)

Bonus:

Dash Attack -> dtilt looks like he does a 4th 'woka' Can trick your opponent as well.

There's honestly limitless options, as we can do anything we want after the dash attack, it can be a very adaptable thing to have.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
You'd be surprised at how punishable PacMan's Dash Attack is. I've had people grab me out immediately after the 1st or 2nd chomp, and that's not even when they perfect shield.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
You'd be surprised at how punishable PacMan's Dash Attack is. I've had people grab me out immediately after the 1st or 2nd chomp, and that's not even when they perfect shield.
Is it?

I've been using it effectively with the techniques I mentioned XD

At the very least, it's not punishable during the last one.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Is it?

I've been using it effectively with the techniques I mentioned XD

At the very least, it's not punishable during the last one.
It is very punishable. However it is an effective mindgame tool. Because of the fast end lag, you can dash attack away and punish their chase. I made a video showing the various options out of dash attack in the advanced tech thread.

HotNTasty

Smash Apprentice
In addition the the aforementioned grab, if the opponent has a disjointed hitbox they can attack you mid dash attack.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's a neat move - but use it for mindgames to maximize it's potential. My favorite thing is to throw a weak fruit, grab a shielding opponent and then munch on them when they attempt to recover. Easy to punish if you throw it around however, like people say above.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Im pretty sure you have trouble punishing that. dash attack because you are a Villager player and your first instinct is to grab oos with that horrible grab.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Considering how quickly you can act out of shield in this game, it is not safe. If you cross somebody up with dash attack, they can simply dash grab you from behind out of shield.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
A trick I like is that if you hold the opposite direction once the attack ends, you start dashing immediately that way. Seems like you could pull some great mind trickery with that.

Nomein

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't really say so. It's not too difficult to dodge and from there you can punish fairly well.

Top Bottom