• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly, I dare someone to make a decent moveset (including a and air attacks) with sprite Pac-Man that's not boring in comparison to a 3D Pac-Man one.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
(and that's why this one's the best Pac-man)
Also no, this is my only account
Ooh.. now I get it,.. sorry.. >->

81 pages of Pac-Man support... that's quite an achievement. Hopefully it all culminates into the yellow orb's reveal at E3! Now, let's see if we can make this thread a round 100 pages right before E3, just a week to go!
Don't let the HYPE die!!!... Here we go to E3! WAKA-WAKA! 8D

Yeah, I thought Namco's inclusion in the credits was a bit weird there. I think it probably has to do with them helping with the engine, after the arcade Mario Kart games. Dunno. Maybe it has something to do with the DLC. Maybe we'll get some arcade DLC courses. It's hard to say, but Namco's name in the credits is a bit strange.
Pac-Man and Retro Maze track DLC for MK8 at E3. believe

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Yeah it's a real shame, Way Forward did some really good stuff, Especially Namco High.
Uh, Namco High isn't WayForward material. It's all a collab between Bamco and Andrew Hussie.

Anyway, Pac-Man just might be better off in 3D than in 2D (Or even the 3D equivalent of the latter, as seen in Wreck-it-Ralph).

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I just can't see a 2-D or spherical no-leg-or-arm Pac-Man having a fun move set. I suppose it's possible, but I just feel he'd be so much more fun when he could actually punch and kick like everyone else.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I just can't see a 2-D or spherical no-leg-or-arm Pac-Man having a fun move set. I suppose it's possible, but I just feel he'd be so much more fun when he could actually punch and kick like everyone else.
Not to mention how it negates everything he's done since and lowers him to the status of an arcade one-shot wonder whose recent games aren't worthy of representation.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I'd be, actually, a bit disappointed to have Pac-Man playable AND as an 8-Bit sprite. lol (this, actually, it's very impossible anyway, imo... at least Mr. Game & Watch has limbs), having him as he looks nowadays has so much more potential (and I'm not talking about his transformation gimmick in G.A.)... wasting this just in favor for a "nostalgic" look (and by consequence, turning the things so much harder to create for him) is pretty silly. I'd be still happy with his presence, since he would be still playable.. but would be hard to swallow.

but, I just see good probabilities for his current incarnation anyway... isn't something that I actually fear to turn true somehow. (a 8-bit sprite playable).

Not to mention how it negates everything he's done since and lowers him to the status of an arcade one-shot wonder whose recent games aren't worthy of representation.
This too. .. people keeps talking about Mega Man being regressed in visual in Smash4 .. but he hasn't regressed.. he looks exactly this way in Mega Man 10 (or MMxSF as his lastest game).. and yet has representation from Mega Man 8 and MvC/The Power Fighters in his moveset... Pac-Man being just a circle would be negative for what the character can do in battle, and what he can bring with him as baggage from past games, be as a faithfull tribute or as respect by the character story.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
You know, to be fair, even if Pac-Man never had a game past the arcade originals, I'd still support him for Smash. He's that important and historically significant based on those games alone.

But yes, there's no need to ignore his post-arcade legacy, either. There is definitely material to pull from there. Likewise, I'd like to see material from Mega Man games beyond the classic-style platformers, even whilst acknowledging that classic Mega Man should (and will) get the majority of representation.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Alrighty, basic moveset for sprite Pac-Man:

Neutral Special: Pellet Trail (Pac-Man fires a trail of pellets that he noms his way through. The more its charged, the further the trail goes)

Side Special: Rally Kart (Pac-Man takes a joyride on a Rally-X Kart, the smokescreen causing poison damage)

Up Special: Spaceship Ferry (Pac-Man gets picked up by a Galaga Spaceship which carries Pac-Man up a la Snake's Up B)

Down Special: Pump Driller (Pac-Man fires a Dig Dug drill that grapples the opponent. The more Pac-Man pumps, the higher the knockback)

Final Smash: Super Pellet (Pac-Man gains OHKO capabilities if he can hit his opponents)

Staarih

Smash Master
While I'd prefer Pac-Man to have some sort of nod towards being more "classic" than recent, I can't say I'd enjoy the idea of an 8-bit Pac-Man though. That's maybe a bit too classic to my taste haha! It's not necessarily about not being able to create a fun move-set for it (because I'm a strong believer in "anything can be made unique and fun if wanted"), but just that it feels so... emotionless and unnecessary? I don't really know a good word for it haha. I'd like Pac-Man to keep on-par with the other iconic characters; Mario, Sonic and Mega-Man, but if he's just a sprite, it doesn't really deliver. Could be just my preference talking too. Also, he does have some cool stuff that he's done recently which could really spice up his character in Smash.

As for the Namco credits in MK8, thanks for letting me know about that, I had no idea. While it probably means nothing much, my imagination is running wild and I could see a real Pac-Man extravaganza happening with him being revealed in Smash AND as DLC for MK8. I mean, Pac-Man has been quite dominant in the MK Arcade games...

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Pac-Man World 2 Pac-Man seems the most likely for me, or Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man with the World 1/2/3 Moveset.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I have a very hard time imagining them not pulling something from the World series for Pac-Man's moveset. I doubt that they'd limit him to just a flat circle. Then again, that's exactly the sort of thing that Sakurai would do, simply because it's "unique" and "unexpected".

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Then again, that's exactly the sort of thing that Sakurai would do, simply because it's "unique" and "unexpected".
with first and second party characters, I'm sure that Sakurai has the liberty to make everything he wants.. but with 3rd party, I highly doubt... must exist a term or something for not do "this" or "this" with the characters (or even saying what should be priorized in some aspects,..visually, or technically)... since Nintendo would assume the responsability if anything goes wrong or being bad for the characters' image somehow.
-With the few 3rd party characters we already have, they're pretty much how the majority would have imagined.. in a "expected" way, and yet, with the touch of having deeper references from past games and everything, that's a thing that Sakurai is be able with them to do, imo.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If they don't use "Classic" or PMW 1/2/3 Pac-Man, I'll be completely shocked. Modern Sonic was well-known, but GA-style Pac-man has been more or less obscure compared to the Classic Pac look.

Frankly I'm not too concerned with the moveset, as long as he looks the way he should.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If they don't use "Classic" or PMW 1/2/3 Pac-Man, I'll be completely shocked. Modern Sonic was well-known, but GA-style Pac-man has been more or less obscure compared to the Classic Pac look.

Frankly I'm not too concerned with the moveset, as long as he looks the way he should.
Would you be happy with the Party design?

I personally am rooting for this one as the default and classic as an alt. I think it modernizes Pac-Man much better.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

I personally am rooting for this one as the default and classic as an alt. I think it modernizes Pac-Man much better.
Honestly we're just gonna have to see. As it's been said before, Namco's been putting a lot of time and effort into the new design of Ghostly Adventures, and I can't see them not pushing that design for Smash. It's possible they will use a classic design, which I'd be okay with, but I feel like if we get Pac, it's going to be closer to GA than classic.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

Other M Samus and... Greninja. lolz. (and it's not something focused in just a design.. is the entire character that is so few known... outside of Pokémon's fanbase, anyway..).

He definitely should look as he looks nowadays... there's no "real" reason to regress one character for one single game.

Honestly we're just gonna have to see. As it's been said before, Namco's been putting a lot of time and effort into the new design of Ghostly Adventures, and I can't see them not pushing that design for Smash. It's possible they will use a classic design, which I'd be okay with, but I feel like if we get Pac, it's going to be closer to GA than classic.
is what I always say.. is so big the advertising on Pac's new generation, that, regress him just for Smash would be very pointless by the marketing view. But I'm hoping for his classic skin as an alt. as well. =D

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

I dunno; I guess that one's alright, there's just something about the blue eyes (like these, and the ones used in Mario Kart GP) that just really bothers me. Whereas the black-eyed classic look is one I really love.

I'm not sure why it makes such a difference to me, but yeah. I guess I'd get used to it if Sakurai chose it, but the classic look is just so much better.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I dunno; I guess that one's alright, there's just something about the blue eyes (like these, and the ones used in Mario Kart GP) that just really bothers me. Whereas the black-eyed classic look is one I really love.

I'm not sure why it makes such a difference to me, but yeah. I guess I'd get used to it if Sakurai chose it, but the classic look is just so much better.
Don't worry, eventually, you will get used with that. (like me and a lot of people had to face Sonic's green eyes =P)... And blue eyes in Pacster is something since 2010, .. is actually weird to think that people still don't become accustomed to it. lol.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Don't worry, eventually, you will get used with that. (like me and a lot of people had to face Sonic's green eyes =P)... And blue eyes in Pacster is something since 2010, .. is actually weird to think that people still don't become accustomed to it. lol.
I've had quite a while to get used to it, and I'm very particular when it comes to character visuals. If they use the blue eyes, I probably won't be excited for his character, petty as that may seem.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
'-' ... well, Sonic had the worst design that he could have in Brawl (based in '06.. and while I don't like Sonic's modern incarnations, the Smash4 one is fine and pretty has a good cartoonish appeal) and yet, I loved his presence... principally how his moveset worked (and thanks God still works) like in the SEGA Genesis days.. I'm honestly don't understand the "fear" that is brought when people think about Pac's inclusion in Smash.. Sakurai may have his limitations when dealing with 3rd party characters, but still can offer a pretty good homage for any fan from any generation with the work in the character itself.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Oh, trust me. I'm aware. I just know that I like the design and am not fond of the GA one, so I figured presenting another option might be beneficial.

I've had quite a while to get used to it, and I'm very particular when it comes to character visuals. If they use the blue eyes, I probably won't be excited for his character, petty as that may seem.
What if the classic one was an alt anyways? Would that make it easier to swallow?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That'd work, as long as I didn't have to stare into the horrifying blue-eyed gaze every time I look at him.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Nah you'll have Palutena to look at (which, ironically, I'm not interested, but I'm confident of inclusion), no need to pay attention in a character that you may not even like that much (is what I am guessing, ... but I can be wrong, so sorry =P)..

-------------------
and btw, by the inspiration of so many GIFs lately, here's our;

Nobody can stop the Pac! 8D

Last edited:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Well, ever since a couple months ago when I heard that it could be a possibility for Pac to be in Smash(Mainly via gematsu and a smash blog) I've been open to Pac, I 100% support him, hope he shows up at E3!

Also, what do people hate the GA design?(It's my favorite tbh) everything looks pretty much the same to me, only thing that's really changed are the gloves, shoes, and eye color.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Well, ever since a couple months ago when I heard that it could be a possibility for Pac to be in Smash(Mainly via gematsu and a smash blog) I've been open to Pac, I 100% support him, hope he shows up at E3!

Also, what do people hate the GA design?(It's my favorite tbh) everything looks pretty much the same to me, only thing that's really changed are the gloves, shoes, and eye color.
I agree. From what I've gathered, people don't like the eyes, the teeth, or the elongated arms because they find these features to be less cute and appealing than the features of, say, the Pac-Man World design.

I can understand that point of view, and if it were just in picture, I would agree wholeheartedly. I don't feel like the character art pictures Namco has for Ghostly Adventures quite capture how animated and cute he can be in the show. They feel very static, whereas in the show the blue eyes, teeth, fingers, and arms all add to his animated nature, and it looks amazing in my opinion.

I feel like even though classic Pac-Man is more iconic, it's nowhere near as animated or full of personality like the GA design is. But it seems that opinion is the minority, which is fine. :p

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
:p
I agree. From what I've gathered, people don't like the eyes, the teeth, or the elongated arms because they find these features to be less cute and appealing than the features of, say, the Pac-Man World design.

I can understand that point of view, and if it were just in picture, I would agree wholeheartedly. I don't feel like the character art pictures Namco has for Ghostly Adventures quite capture how animated and cute he can be in the show. They feel very static, whereas in the show the blue eyes, teeth, fingers, and arms all add to his animated nature, and it looks amazing in my opinion.

I feel like even though classic Pac-Man is more iconic, it's nowhere near as animated or full of personality like the GA design is. But it seems that opinion is the minority, which is fine. :p
Ahh, well that definitely makes sense! I'm still hoping for GA design to be an alt though.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
Capcom and Namco has had crossovers (SFxT, PxZ which featured Sega, Namco x Capcom) so I'd be happy if Pacman would make it in. Even if he doesn't I'm fine with it!

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I made one more GIF to feed our hype for E3! (I wish I could do one thing for Pacster's campaign everyday!)

I already can feel the taste the E3! WAKA WAKA WAKA!

Last edited:

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Pinky arcade sprite, GA style. Tried to use less pillow shading this time. C'mon, let's get this hype-train going at full-speed!

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Does anyone feel that 8-bit Pac may be an assist? Like it may be an assist that will troll us during the digital event?

What I mean is, if we see 8-bit Pac as an assist, we shouldn't write off newer 3D Pac-man until the end of the event.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Does anyone feel that 8-bit Pac may be an assist? Like it may be an assist that will troll us during the digital event?

What I mean is, if we see 8-bit Pac as an assist, we shouldn't write off newer 3D Pac-man until the end of the event.
I'm banking on that being his final smash...or at least something like it being his final smash.

If we get a Pac-Man assist from the S-Flag, we should get Ms. Pac-Man instead.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

There's your 8-bit Pac-Man.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Does anyone feel that 8-bit Pac may be an assist?

Even being a possibility (which has a little chance to happen, imo) would be the stupidest thing ever done by NAMCO... I wouldn't even blame Sakurai, 'cause.. c'mon, Pac-Man is their mascot... the most recognized character in the gaming industry (the most... MORE than Mario), and they allow him to be just an Assist Trophy... and, ... in a sprite form... I don't even... ugh. Honestly, if Pac-Man can't be playable for reasons (which are unknown, .. after all, there is no reason to not), I'd prefer to not have him in the game at any form.. Which I believe is the likely scenario.. If we don't see him as playable, he won't be nowhere around.

I know that what you considered was a duplicate... With him as playable and as an AT. but, I find unlikely the same way,.. and besides, would be redundant. =P. BUT, Ms. Pac-Man has a chance to be an Assist Trophy, imo.. if the Galaga bugs and the S-Flag aren't already Pacster's AT... I bet that will have his icon and all at the trophy gallery. =P

Top Bottom