• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man in 1.0.8

Huge

Smash Apprentice
I know there's a lot of DLC hype going on right now, but don't forget that the recent update was also a balance patch!

Has anyone found any changes to Pac-Man's moveset? Have any glitchy techniques been removed? Finally, with regards to the new DLC, how do you think that Pac-Man fares (against Lucas, Roy Ryu/on the new stages)?

Findings:
- DITCIT/Super Glide Toss still in!
- Footstool/Z-drop shenanigans untouched!
- "Dry Hydrant/Angry Hydrant" ledge shenanigans

- Hydrant through platform glitch patched outout
- Up/down angled Ftilt frames adjusted to be more in line with the standard one
- PAC-MAN HAS BECOME A GOD, TRAMPOLINE JANK LOL

The end is near
Basically, you're going to want to trampoline just as someone touches an already-placed yellow or blue trampoline. This will cause them to clip through the stage, and, if they don't react quickly enough, in all likelihood lose a stock. Wonderful.

in other, less stupid news:
Actually, there was a universal change. For us, if we're charging Fruit, our momentum won't push us off of ledges. IE running to a ledge and beginning to charge fruit has Pac-Man stay on the ledge. Hydrant water will still push you off though.

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Something that went undocumented in 1.0.7 when Pac-man was changed to use his ledge runoff animation when running off the hydrant.

Since the hydrant now operates like a ledge, within something like three frames (don't quote my on the exact amount) of running off the it, some inputs will cause you to jump instead of doing what you intended.

For example, when facing right, trying to B-Air the hydrant with :GCR::GCL::GCA: will result in him running off and instantly jumping.

If your execution is on point, this doesn't really affect you.

Last edited:

ThundrDome

Smash Rookie
Grab seems to remain the same. At first glance you think its faster but then again we had this same problem last patch. :p

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
We're going to want to play lame against ryu. Trampoline and fruit.
You don't want to face him in CQC.

Roy has a weak approach but hits like a freaking truck up close. We want to zone him out as well and possible try to juggle him since he's combo meat.

Fsmash feels a lot stronger but I'm not sure

BSP

Smash Legend
If a SH Bair -> buffered hydrant drop would produce hydrant through the stage (AKA hydrant platform), it's now gone. I've found no other changes.

Edit: actually, there was a universal change. For us, if we're charging Fruit, our momentum won't push us off of ledges. IE running to a ledge and beginning to charge fruit has Pac-Man stay on the ledge. Hydrant water will still push you off though.

Last edited:

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else experiencing freezing problems on the 3ds? Like I play an online match, then eventually it'll say "connection error" then sends me to the menu. Then I try to reconnect and it'll keep trying to reconnect until eventually the screen turns black. I waited for an hour but still a black screen so I had to force shut down my 3ds and then turn it back on. This has happened twice already. Gonna wait till a patch comes out or something.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Hydrant Platform has been removed and I think upsmash is easier to connect now.

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
Hydrant Platforming (to me at least) is a buff because it has happened to me so many times that when I wanted to use the hydrant close to the ground while in the air, it would just go through the stage, leaving myself open and vulnerable to attacks, thus getting punished. | However, that ledge mechanic that prevents PAC-MAN from gliding off the stage ledges while charging his Bonus Fruit completely sucks, since it limits PAC-MAN's ability to punish off stage with the said move. Now we have to run past/jump over the ledge first and then use Bonus Fruit... It sucks!

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Hydrant Platforming (to me at least) is a buff because it has happened to me so many times that when I wanted to use the hydrant close to the ground while in the air, it would just go through the stage, leaving myself open and vulnerable to attacks, thus getting punished. | However, that ledge mechanic that prevents PAC-MAN from gliding off the stage ledges while charging his Bonus Fruit completely sucks, since it limits PAC-MAN's ability to punish off stage with the said move. Now we have to run past/jump over the ledge first and then use Bonus Fruit... It sucks!

I don't think that it is a buff, I did a couple of amazing kills with this and now I only say.... R.I.P.

xzx

Smash Lord
I don't think that it is a buff, I did a couple of amazing kills with this and now I only say.... R.I.P.
Okay, I understand, but I like to use the hydrant more as a defensive tool than an offensive tool. It's more of a buff than a nerf for me, but I understand that not getting those suprise stage spike KOs is a nerf. Still, no more accidental hydrant platforming for us!

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Honestly this is a nerf for Pac-man on BF. Being able to ignore platforms when you needed to for a hydrant drop was pretty significant.

As a side note, I've been spending more time with Fox and Falcon, and may be switching over the coming weeks. This might be sad for some of you, but I feel my play style is a bit too aggressive for Pac-man, more so with the meta learning more about Pac-man.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Honestly this is a nerf for Pac-man on BF. Being able to ignore platforms when you needed to for a hydrant drop was pretty significant.

As a side note, I've been spending more time with Fox and Falcon, and may be switching over the coming weeks. This might be sad for some of you, but I feel my play style is a bit too aggressive for Pac-man, more so with the meta learning more about Pac-man.
NOOOO!!! :cry:
You were one of the only people here that shares my opinions on pac-man's matchups. I'm gonna miss you man.
I personally favor a more aggressive creative trap-based playstyle, but I find Pac-Man flexible enough to satisfy that need.

I understand man. Good luck with your new mains!

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
NOOOO!!! :cry:
You were one of the only people here that shares my opinions on pac-man's matchups. I'm gonna miss you man.
I personally favor a more aggressive creative trap-based playstyle, but I find Pac-Man flexible enough to satisfy that need.

I understand man. Good luck with your new mains!
I'll still poke in from time to time to see whats going on. I'll still stick to what I've said previously, the only way Pac-man will go up the tier list is people need to make him visible. Keep getting on those streams!

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
I'll still poke in from time to time to see whats going on. I'll still stick to what I've said previously, the only way Pac-man will go up the tier list is people need to make him visible. Keep getting on those streams!
I play pac man pretty aggressive, dont give up hope :(

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Mixed blessing there. That's also how we'll get nerfed.

Ah well, we just have to keep repping him and keep winning.

Sad to see you go though. Hope your new mains give you success!

On a side note, Pacman fees more or less untouched other than the platform cancel.

I think I finally found my second though... Holy crap Ryu is good and he feels like a FGC character in terms of mechanics. They did a very good job making him "feel" like a Street Fighter character.
Yeah... when we play against him, don't let him in. His CQC... good god.

Last edited:

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
I'm still waiting for Pac-Man's grab hitboxes to be buffed so they're consistent throughout the entire grab animation, rather than being that wonky '12-14, 22-24, 32-39' frames of which it actually is active. When that is fixed, I'll be happy. But for now, guess I'm still waiting. :ohwell:

x45x

Smash Cadet
So I'm no Pacman player, But my boyfriend thinks pac's side b1 is faster or rather happens faster, ends faster or something like that. I tried it with him on 1.07 vs 1.08 and while I don't have the best tools to test 1.08 recovered faster. If someone who is better at testing wants to check that out please do.

Megamon

Smash Cadet
We're going to want to play lame against ryu. Trampoline and fruit.
You don't want to face him in CQC.

Roy has a weak approach but hits like a freaking truck up close. We want to zone him out as well and possible try to juggle him since he's combo meat.

Fsmash feels a lot stronger but I'm not sure
Orange offstage to a recovering ryu is tremendous. Trampoline makes this a simpler matchup.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
So plenty of times when I charged my fruit at the edge I would slide off, in addition when my back is facing the ledge and I tried a jab combo I would slide off as well, are we saying this hard been patched out?

Zekkaran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zekkaran
3DS FC
0791-3028-9167
New Glitch Discovered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgCK-yqxEK4

Now Pac-Man's trampoline can make people go under the stage. Tried it and it works. you must time it to when they land on the trampoline (somehow it doesn't work on red tramp). In exchange of the hydrant platform glitch, we are given something godlike. Now to think of a way to utilize this glitch to its fullest potential.....

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.

Now Pac-Man's trampoline can make people go under the stage. Tried it and it works. you must time it to when they land on the trampoline (somehow it doesn't work on red tramp). In exchange of the hydrant platform glitch, we are given something godlike. Now to think of a way to utilize this glitch to its fullest potential.....
Wow, so easy. Someone should make a thread for this! :)

xzx

Smash Lord
Just look at all the other tether grabs in this patch. They are getting buffed with more range, better startup and less lag while PAC-MAN's grab (that is a downgraded tether) is completely unchanged... UNFAIR!! ='(

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100

I tried it out on the 3ds version against the computer and your opponent can actually double jump out of it right before they go underneath the stage, however since they're never preapred for it, it is compltely impractical. If you do this to anyone in touranment and they cry that it should be illegal and you don't deserve the win then point that out to them.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
From the 1.0.6 data dump from Thinkaman, our up and down angled Ftilt had their frames corrected to match the non tilted one. A subtle nerf that we missed.

Top Bottom