• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man almost made it to Brawl per Miyamoto's suggestion

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Check out this article which translates Sakurai's latest column on Famitsu, where he talks about Pac-Man.

http://kotaku.com/pac-man-almost-got-into-super-smash-bros-brawl-1599610742

In his semi-weekly column in Weekly Famitsu, series creator Masahiro Sakurai revealed that, much like the player-created Mii Warrior, Pac-Man was almost a guest character in the Wii game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl. "During development of Smash Bros. Brawl, Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto of Nintendo approached me and asked, 'Can't we have Pac-Man as a guest character?'" Sakurai recalled. "At the time, imagining the image of Pac-Man and his incomplete pizza shape, I thought to myself, 'Hmmm... That's a little too farfetched.'"

As Sakurai explains, coming up with an idea and actually making it a reality are very different beasts. While it's easy to imagine a character in a Smash Bros. game, on the dev side, there's a lot more to consider. "How to give the character their own individuality as a fighter and how they'll move. Should the game system maintain a consistent form or not. What other fighters are there and how will the new character differ in strategy? Does the new idea fit with the original game? Most importantly, is it entertaining?"
Really cool to find out Miyamoto supports Pac-Man in Smash. Makes sense, since he once stated it's his favorite video game character.

D

Deleted member

"You never know what's going to happen in this world. I'll just keep my mouth shut. That's a good idea."

- Masahiro Sakurai

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
“My favorite video game character isn't Mario, it's Pac-Man.”
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
“My favorite video game character isn't Mario, it's Pac-Man.”
-Shigeru Miyamoto
Well of course. It is hard to see what is interesting in your own creations versus what other people see; sometimes, it feels as though your work never feels complete or up to par.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Yo, real talk- Pac Man should've been in Brawl over Snake.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
DUURR PAC-MAN ONLY GOT IN CAUSE NAMCO WAS HELPING

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Yo, real talk- Pac Man should've been in Brawl over Snake.
Agreed. It is not that I dislike Snake, but Pac Man fits just right among a Nintendo crowd.
I'm disagree with both of you all big time. If it wouldn't for Solid Snake's inclusion there wouldn't be no such thing as "Third Party Character's to Smash"

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm disagree with both of you all big time. If it wouldn't for Solid Snake's inclusion there wouldn't be no such thing as "Third Party Character's to Smash"
Well that is true; unless, Sakurai would have added Sonic with the amount of requests Sonic got to join Smash Bros. Though, it is fair to give Snake his due for what he accomplished.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Hmm, fans didn't really care about PacMan because everybody wanted Sonic, and there was Kojima, a good friend of Sakurai, who begged like a poor man living in the streets to have Snake in the game. Sorry Miyamoto, at least Pac is in this title

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I think Pac-Man's inclusion in SSB4 was not Miyamoto's doing I say it was more of a Coincidence that Namco developing the game.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Well that is true; unless, Sakurai would have added Sonic with the amount of requests Sonic got to join Smash Bros. Though, it is fair to give Snake his due for what he accomplished.
They didn't start requesting Sonic until Snake got reveled he opened the door for Third Parties.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
They didn't start requesting Sonic until Snake got reveled he opened the door for Third Parties.
Oh. Well, Snake did an amazing thing. He snuck into Nintendo's headquarters to get into Super Smash Bros Brawl to help save Megaman.

Azureyoshi

Smash Rookie
Well this is some neat info to know! I love these kinds of subjects.

So first Snake (& possibly Sonic? Don't know how much credence there is to this, so yeah: http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/2/2e/YujiNakaInterview.jpg) was rumored to be requested for Melee but time restraints happened (Got in Brawl). And now Pac-Man having been requested for Brawl by Miyamoto (Got in SSB4, but more than likely due to Bandai Namco co-developing it).

Kind of reminds me of how some characters and elements were thought of or planned for the original Smash Bros. but didn't come until later entries in the series (Bowser, Mewtwo, King Dedede, etc. Also, Final Smashes.)

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Well this is some neat info to know! I love these kinds of subjects.

So first Snake (& possibly Sonic? Don't know how much credence there is to this, so yeah: http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/2/2e/YujiNakaInterview.jpg) was rumored to be requested for Melee but time restraints happened (Got in Brawl). And now Pac-Man having been requested for Brawl by Miyamoto (Got in SSB4, but more than likely due to Bandai Namco co-developing it).

Kind of reminds me of how some characters and elements were thought of or planned for the original Smash Bros. but didn't come until later entries in the series (Bowser, Mewtwo, King Dedede, etc. Also, Final Smashes.)
It was an "idea" but time constrains didn't allow them to continue the idea. The key word is "idea" I don't know if Yuji Naka approached Sakurai and Nintendo or not but SEGA and Nintendo were (kinda) still competing in hardware. If I were to go to a Sakurai Q&A that would be one of the first questions I would ask!

Azureyoshi

Smash Rookie
It was an "idea" but time constrains didn't allow them to continue the idea. The key word is "idea" I don't know if Yuji Naka approached Sakurai and Nintendo or not but SEGA and Nintendo were (kinda) still competing in hardware. If I were to go to a Sakurai Q&A that would be one of the first questions I would ask!
Nice catch, thanks for the keyword correction. I'm very sorry, I usually try to tread around touchy things like this by using "possible" or "maybe" to mean I'm not certain about something. That's also why I tried to separate it from the rest of my comment in parentheses (Because I definitely wasn't certain about it. Just thought it was kind of an interesting thing.). :laugh:

I'm not sure about that either (Naka approaching Sakurai or not). And since Sonic at the time had no existing games on a Nintendo console yet (Since as you said, they were still sort of in competition) that could have been a problem too. (Melee came out on Nov. 21, while SA2B & Sonic Advance both didn't come until Dec. 20 later that year in Japan.) And yeah, that would be an interesting question for Sakurai! :yoshimelee:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Nice catch, thanks for the keyword correction. I'm very sorry, I usually try to tread around touchy things like this by using "possible" or "maybe" to mean I'm not certain about something. That's also why I tried to separate it from the rest of my comment in parentheses (Because I definitely wasn't certain about it. Just thought it was kind of an interesting thing.). :laugh:

I'm not sure about that either (Naka approaching Sakurai or not). And since Sonic at the time had no existing games on a Nintendo console yet (Since as you said, they were still sort of in competition) that could have been a problem too. (Melee came out on Nov. 21, while SA2B & Sonic Advance both didn't come until Dec. 20 later that year in Japan.) And yeah, that would be an interesting question for Sakurai! :yoshimelee:
I wonder if Yuji Naka is still working on the Sonic series.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
What really shocked me is that Miyamoto said Pac-Man was his favorite character of all time, you figured he would like one of his own creation more that Pac-Man

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
What really shocked me is that Miyamoto said Pac-Man was his favorite character of all time, you figured he would like one of his own creation more that Pac-Man
Miyamoto has stated this before. In fact the reason we have Pac-Man Versus is because of Miyamoto's love for Pac-Man.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Yes he is and is now the head of Sonic Team I believe.
Actually he left Sega and Sonic Team quite a while ago, in 2006 I believe.
On the topic itself, it's interesting to hear stuff like this, even if it pretty much was "hey, maybe you should put Pac-Man", "hmmm, nah."

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yuji Naka left Sonic Team during the development of Sonic '06, and went on to set up a different second party studio to SEGA, called Prope.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
DUURR PAC-MAN ONLY GOT IN CAUSE NAMCO WAS HELPING
Ha! Take that, Pac-Haters!

No, this is false. People most likely started requesting for Sonic after that EGM April Fools issue that claimed that you could unlock Sonic and Tails in Melee if you can defeat five opponents in Cruel Melee.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm pretty sure people requested Sonic as soon as SEGA jumped out of the hardware business, and instantly made a bunch of Nintendo exclusive Sonic games.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well, I guess you don't understand how great your own creations are when you're the one making them.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000

No, this is false. People most likely started requesting for Sonic after that EGM April Fools issue that claimed that you could unlock Sonic and Tails in Melee if you can defeat five opponents in Cruel Melee.
No it's not false. Hideo Kojima requested Snake I say around 2000-2001 after Ghost Babel came out like it or not Solid Snake opened the Door for Third Parties

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000

I know what im talking about people didn't start requesting Sonic until Solid Snake was reveled.

domriver

Smash Lord
I sometimes confuse Miyamoto being the President of Nintendo. jeje This doesn't surprise me since we knew that he has had this love for Pac-Man. Ultimately you guys think Iwata has the final say in the characters of Smash or is this strictly for Sakurai? But also for 3rd parties im guessing that he would need to get some sort of approval from Iwata before proceeding forward?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I sometimes confuse Miyamoto being the President of Nintendo. jeje This doesn't surprise me since we knew that he has had this love for Pac-Man. Ultimately you guys think Iwata has the final say in the characters of Smash or is this strictly for Sakurai? But also for 3rd parties im guessing that he would need to get some sort of approval from Iwata before proceeding forward?
Sakurai. They give him access to all of their IPs when making Smash. The only other person who gets final say are the third parties.

EDIT: Also Game Freak (And intelligent Systems apparently) has final say in a similar manner to third parties.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I'm glad Pac-Man is in SSB4 rather than Brawl. Brawl was good, but Sonic, Snake, and Pac-Man would have been weird. Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man is the perfect four-way battle. I've been wanting it to happen for years.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Sonic was requested even in the N64 days, along with Mega Man. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult3.html

Sakurai. They give him access to all of their IPs when making Smash. The only other person who gets final say are the third parties.
Not necessarily true. Game Freak and Intelligent Systems have a say in who gets in Smash as well. http://www.nintendo-insider.com/201...-how-pokemon-are-chosen-for-super-smash-bros/ I forget where Sakurai talked about IS, but I'm pretty sure he said they wanted Roy in Melee and that he was originally going to include Marth and Leif.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
By Sakurai's wording on how he thought of incorporating Pac-Man into Brawl, sounds like he never touched any of the Pac-Land or Pac-World games until now. :lol:

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm a little bit surprised that someone with as much knowledge of the gaming industry as Sakurai had a hard time imagining Pac-Man working in Smash Bros. From the way his response was worded, I get the feeling that he was unaware that Pac-Man has ever been anything more than a pizza shape.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Last edited:
Top Bottom