• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Fu: A normals combo/KO confirm/blockstrings thread

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Hello everyone. I see that the pacman boards have been rather inactive lately (even more than usual)

What I would suggest for everyone to begin working on is forming combos and kill confirms using only our normal moves. I feel as if we've all gotten so caught up in Pac-Man's specials that we have neglected his decent to great normals.
So I made this thread so that we can post what we find.

So far I have:
FF Uair -> uair -> uair
FF Uair -> Dair
FF reverse Uair -> to Bair (you can use a fruit cancel in mid air to extend your jump, making this a good KO confirm at higher percentages near the ledge)

DA -> Uair x2
DA -> Bair

As for block strings:
fromundaman fromundaman has found that
Dtilt -> jab is a blockstring.

And I found that
FF Nair -> Dtilt is a block string

This may help you guys find some moves that are safe on shield.

I challenge you all to bring out the best in pacman!

Last edited:

Gecko Moria

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3179-6596-3895
ok soooo...

Landing reverse FF u-air > f-tilt from 25% to 47% After 40% you must angle the f-tilt upward for it to connect.

Landing reverse FF u-air > u-tilt from 33% to 48% Kinda difficult to do until around 40% you have to be jumping towards your opponent with your back turned to them.

I think at low % DA > footstool works but it looks like they leave hitstun before you can footstool and I don't think you could get anything off of it anyways

Also u-tilt strings into itself 2-3 times until exactly 20%

Edit: Added the percentages at which these strings work. all tested on Mario with no rage.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
ok soooo...

Landing reverse FF u-air > f-tilt After a certain % you have to angle the f-tilt upward for it to connect.

Landing reverse FF u-air > u-tilt Kinda difficult to do until around 40% (on mario) you have to be jumping towards your opponent with your back turned to them.

I think at low % DA > footstool works but it looks like the CPU leaves hitstun before you can footstool and I don't think you could get anything off of it anyways

Also u-tilt strings into itself 2-3 times at low percents

Speaking of percents should we list what percentages these work at on like, Mario or something since he's the middlest of midweights?
Yeah, that would help a lot.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
FF Uair or FF Reverse uair -> reverse up tilt is so fun to hit but so hard to hit

I like to do jab -> jab to dtilt or nair or something else. I don't normally finish the jab combo unless it's against Mario / Sheik with their strong nair game.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
This may help you guys find some moves that are safe on shield.

I challenge you all to bring out the best in pacman!
Hmm, the frame data claims DTilt is -9 on block, which would mean DTilt -> Jab is not solid.

On the other hand, the frame data could just be wrong. Interestingly, Nair is +2 on block (drop), making it an exceptionally good OOS option. Hydrant being only -3 is pretty cool.

I don't trust the Advantage (drop) values for the fruit. Melon is so slow that a long-range Melon is definitely massively +Frames (mainly: Pac Man clearly has combos and true-blockstrings on a late Melon hit). They likely didn't take into account distance, but the further away the opponent is, the higher the advantage should they actually block it. At high level play, I've noticed a lot of OOS SH air dodges as a "safe" way to catch the fruit however.

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Nair has missing information, it has 3 kind of hit 10/6/3 % and there is only 2 .

And what about the last column?

I agree with dragontamer I'm not sure about dtilt -> jab

Does anyone know how much frames are shield drop?

KO Confirmed -> Fair to key from 108% (G&W) to 140% (Bowser). It is a true combo.

Utilt to Hydrant is a true combo around 20%

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Nair has missing information, it has 3 kind of hit 10/6/3 % and there is only 2 .

And what about the last column?

I agree with dragontamer I'm not sure about dtilt -> jab

Does anyone know how much frames are shield drop?

KO Confirmed -> Fair to key from 108% (G&W) to 140% (Bowser). It is a true combo.

Utilt to Hydrant is a true combo around 20%
takes 7 frames to drop shield in this game.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
takes 7 frames to drop shield in this game.
7 frames should you be beyond the forced shield period.

fromundaman fromundaman can still be correct about the DTilt thing. If you DTilt an opponent and they block on frame 4 or so (ie: not a power-shield), they are locked into shield until frame 11 (IIRC, someone double-check me on that number), and THEN they start shield-drop (this ideal case changes to -2 advantage). But against an opponent who has been holding shield, the shield-lock period doesn't exist.

Of course, power-shielding ignores the forced-shield hold period, and negates a chunk of the shield-lag... leading to absolutely huge advantages. So hoping your opponent messes up on shielding is probably a bad idea. On the other hand, alternating between DTilt and FTilt will screw with the opponent's power-shielding timing... in theory anyway.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Eh I'm wrong actually. It leaves us positive enough to punish many characters' OoS options with jab, but some characters with ridiculously fast jabs, such as ZSS, can beat it out.

Also, just want to say a lot of frame data I've seen thrown around for some characters, even from Kurogame's website, is not always right (Most of Kurogame's data seems correct though).
I know for example that the 1st hit of Cloud's UpB does not have 7 frames of startup since I can use it to combo break.
Also I don't know when it changed, but it's clear that our Fair does consistently have 16 frames of landing lag anymore (I'm thinking maybe the AC window was stealth changed at some point, but IDK).

Last edited:

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
FF nair to jab works at %0
FF nair to ftilt or dtilt works around %30
FF nair to dash attack works on a few characters around %20, more consistent with rage, and dash attack combos into bair or uair depending on di, so does any bonus fruit throw
FF uair to bair or uair works around %60
FF fair to ftilt works aroud %80
FF sourspot nair to jab, dtilt, or ftilt works around %80
ftilt to bonus fruit key works around %80, better to dash, jump then hit b to close the distance
FF nair to bonus fruit key works at %80, kills on the edge

dash attack combos to bonus fruit on almost any percent, im not really sure how well it can be DI'd, needs testing

from what i've been able to gather, pacman with rage makes these combos possible %20-%30 percent earlier and is given even more leeway depending on enemy character weight

i'd like some insight on these, they're usually what i pull off in matches if im not setting up something flashy

BSP

Smash Legend
Fair -> Fair -> Grab at specific %'s, I need to look at this more
Fair -> Fair -> Uair in the air. Fair sets up for Uair very reliably. Nearly any Fair connected on a mid air opponent should go into Uair unless they're heavily damaged.
Fair -> Nair , obviously

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes for a cross-up (works well if they're shielding or at low percents) I'll do Fair close-up so that I end up behind them and then I'll Bair. This is great for if they drop their shield after the Fair. You can't do it too many times though because they'll typically learn to stay in shield a little longer after the first time or two.

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Well assuming the person is not power shielding. Blockstrings can range anywhere from jab to another d tilt.

Huge

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget the Pac-copter on lighter characters, Fair>FF Nair>Fair>FF Nair>Fair>FF Nair at low-mid percents. Really useful against taller light characters like G&W and Mewtwo (small ones like Pikachu don't get hit by shorthop Fair.) It's a practical combo that I often use in these matchups.

On paper, it works against Bayonetta, but I haven't been able to try it yet.

Prometheus_98

Smash Rookie
He, the frame data for pac jump says frame 4, and I was always under the assumption it was frame 1, Does anyone know which it is?

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
He, the frame data for pac jump says frame 4, and I was always under the assumption it was frame 1, Does anyone know which it is?

When you press jump you see how pacman blend his legs and then jump, that's the F4

Top Bottom